• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • Member No: 58132
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 07:00 AM

You did set the gap with the points at their most open position, right? The points have to be shiny and real clean and make good contact. Run a business card through them and see if any dirt comes out. A crisp bill works good for cleaning too. You can ohm check the primary side of the coil to ground with the points and condenser unhooked. Should be 1-2 ohms. Check the secondary from the plug wire to block. Should be in the 4-10K ohm range.

I will check things out better today after work. I do know there was plenty of grime under points , and block, the points look very old, and looks to be never removed before possibly

#32 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:14 AM

I removed engine from chassis today , I was able to clean and set points, but still no spark. Not. Sure if this is normal sound, when I turn engine over by hand, I can hear what sounds like a marble rolling around, noise comes from behind flywheel. I realize there are magnets ,is it possible they break or come loose. Next question, how do I remove the flywheel? Not sure how to attach a pulley puller, and flywheel seems locked on good and tight. It will run again !"! Thanks , Jim

#33 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:51 AM

Jim, you need something like a harmonic balancer or steerng wheel puller. Use the 3 holes in the flywheel to bolt the plate to and then the screw will remove it.  Hard to say what is rolling around in there but a magnet will usually stick to the block if it comes loose. Whatever it is may have cut the coil. Did you try to ohm check it?

• jgtools said thank you

#34 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:24 PM

[quote name="DougT" post="459778" timestamp="1401637880"]Jim, you need something like a harmonic balancer or steerng wheel puller. Use the 3 holes in the flywheel to bolt the plate to and then the screw will remove it.  Hard to say what is rolling around in there but a magnet will usually stick to the block if it comes loose. Whatever it is may have cut the coil. Did you try to ohm check it?[/quote
I need to get a ohm tester tomorrow. ,I'll let you know what it reads . Thanks jim

#35 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:26 PM

What are the chances of finding a running k 90. I checked on the web a little, no luck. Thanks,jim