• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 04:43 AM

A 195 is quite a bit smaller than a scut, its 1125lbs which is about what my Columbia weighs, I think you guys are way over pricing it, its been cleaned up a bit, and the paint touched up, complete with overspray, but it has pieces missing, and they really do Always look better in pics, always, always ,always. If the seller turned down $1450 he's a fool.

#17 AMCJAVELIN OFFLINE  

AMCJAVELIN
  • Member No: 57416
  • 72 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 06:09 AM

I really think the price is very fair just because of replacement value and the build quality of these older machines, Lance with all do respect I think your stuck in 20 years prior of what things use to cost or you could get it for not that you can't now just look what Ingersoll/case stuff go for loaders and the backhoe on average is another $3 to $4000 by itself its one of those things where more and more people I've noticed especially in this type of ninche market people are looking for alternatives to new looking for something of the same durability in most cases and willing to pay higher premium for older than paying the new price, maybe in that part of Canada you can get these lower prices but at least in the northeast which seems to be probably the highest end market for most tractor equipment then I notice you go like to Pennsylvania and man you can get awesome deals, I hope I don't upset anybody or offend just my opinion and you as a metal expert Lance I do value your opinion for having 30 years of experience

Edited by AMCJAVELIN, May 30, 2014 - 06:17 AM.

• Rock farmer and ChopRod have said thanks

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:03 AM

This is my opinion for the original poster:  Your stated intention is to use this as a "toy" and then sell it later, probably hoping to get back what you paid for it.  An item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and a seller is willing to accept.  As such, any transaction involving older garden tractors varies tremendously and you can't count on an item like this to "hold its value" the way you might with a car or some other commodity which is traded regularly in a reasonable public and trackable way.  

Older equipment ALWAYS needs more work than you think.  If you seriously want the tractor, go and inspect it.  Find the flaws, estimate the cost to repair, and talk to the seller about coming down from his price based on what you find.  Even engines that run well now seem to show their age quickly when you start using them hard.

For me, a tractor I don't use has less value than a tractor I use, whether the use is the fun of restoring it or truly working it as it was intended to be used.  If the physical tractor doesn't warrant the asking price, ask yourself how much worth its use has to you.   Will any tractor fill the use you want, or does it have to be this specific tractor.

For myself, I really wanted a MF lawn tractor for sentimental reasons.  The first tractor I looked at was in rough shape, and I decided I didn't want it $500 dollars worth.  The next one I looked at was about half that, and could be driven onto the trailer.  However, by the time it came home, one tire was flat and I discovered the belts were worn out and very shortly after I fixed those things the engine began smoking like a freight train.

Judge the price you want to pay by what it is worth to you and work with the seller.  Keep us updated on your decision.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#19 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 02:34 PM

I dont get upset that easily... we all have our opinions... Im just sharing mine because the op asked for them.

but... consider this... a couple years ago when I first decided I wanted an openside LGT I started watching the 'for sale' ads... I saw a few ads asking some pretty high prices for them, $1000+ sometimes for junk imo, but there was actually very few ads to even reply to, and those that were advertised often claim they had a 'Rare and Collectable' tractor,... so I a year ago I placed a 'wanted' ad on kijiji, I now have 3 LGTs and a Ford 120 at less than $1000 for all four tractors, sure they all need some work, but nobody took the time to clean them up and advertise them so they couldnt ask for the high $$$, and I keep getting more calls, 1-2 every month, a couple guys have even called me more than once trying to negotiate a price, the tractors are not very rare, but if you wait around for somebody to clean one up and advertise it your only gonna hear about a small % of available tractors, and many of them will be overpriced, granted the 195s are a little less common, which is why I estimate this one at $1000-$1200, keep in mind he started at $2500 so he's one of these sellers that thinks his tractor is a gold mine, it isnt, I know of two 195s here both overpriced, both been for sale for several months, but you would need both to make one nice complete working tractor that would still need to be repainted, maybe I'll get them someday but not at the current asking prices.

I recently met another tractor junky lives nearby and his experience has been very similar to mine, but he collects old JDs, which as we know are generally the highest priced GTs out there but he has an ad like mine and he waits for right deals to come to him. I think any of the mini farm tractor brands would be the same, they were very popular so theres alot of them around, but old farmers dont see them as restorable gold mines so they sit rusting away waiting for somebody to find them. 

I think more people should be placing 'wanted' ads, if the seller has to call you then you have the upper hand in negotiations, plus its kinda fun when somebody calls to tell me he has this rare tractor that Im looking for... I tell him if he thinks he can get that much for it then I have 3 more I can sell him.

• olcowhand, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Well Lance, I suppose you may be right about "what it's worth", but I guess I was answering more along the line of "what do they bring".    Just a few years ago, most were bringing far less than they are now.  But a lot of what has driven prices up is the fact so many have ended up in the crushers.  What I used to get a Bush Hog GT for, now the same grade will cost me 2 to 3 times what I used to get them for.  But that's partly my fault for posting so much about them! LOL

BUT, I'm like you Lance....I'm not willing to go that high unless it's mighty special & mighty hard to find.

#21 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 02:07 AM

I think the ease of advertising these days has contributed to the higher asking prices, years ago you had to pay for an ad in a newspaper which would only be seen by a few hundred prospective buyers over a limited time, these days a free ad is seen by thousands of buyers so a seller can leave an ad up for a long time and increase the odds of finding someone willing to pay the higher price,

Something Ive noticed over the last year with my wanted ad is that very often the people that want the higher prices are often the people who know the least about GTs in general, Ive had 3-4 people call that didnt even seem to know that Ford didnt actually build the GTs, one guy got right rude and hung up on me when I tried to explain to him that his tractor was built by Jacobsen and was available in several colors, Jake, Oliver.... said something about me trying to bullsht him because he knew his tractor was built by Ford. Also some people dont realize there is GT forums where they could have gone to find a little more info... the only thing they have to base an asking price on is other overpriced ads for rare and collectable tractors... and they assume those tractors are actually selling for those asking prices which we know is not always the case. 

Some tractors are harder to find in some areas, Ive been looking for another Ride-a-Matic for a long time, very few of them around here, but in the states there seems to be alot of them and they're cheap, but here right now there is one advertised near edmonton for $2000... and its not even a very nice one, but the seller probably believes its a rare and valuable antique.  About the only way to fight the high prices is to try give these sellers the information they often dont have, we should be able to use our combined knowledge and access to information as a tool to help keep the prices reasonable, either that or give them our money and watch as prices go even higher.

again.. this is not a rant or anything like that, just my long winded opinion and experience here.

• TomLGT195 said thank you