skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 11:03 AM

I've been reading about this and the more I read the worse it gets! The worst is the improper use of the terms. GMO ( geneticly modified organism) are what everyone of us are as we are not carbon copies of one being, but a blend of 2 thus generically modified. Seeds for instance, taken from the best plants and replanted the next year. Natural progression.
Then we have GE..... Genetically Engineered!! This is when the scientists mess with the DNA to make the plant different in some way other than naturally. NOT GOOD!! especially for us and the enviroment... Good grief! I hate greed!!!

Ok, ill step down now... Next....
  • Gtractor, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 11:28 AM

I was with my brother in law on Sunday, I had to hear how all the congressmen/ governors are not the real people, but actually clones of themselves.

He also talked about the aliens coming back to get their pyramids and we have "deja vue" because there is truely time travel and we lived this life once before...... :loosing_it:

Back on topic, I agree those GE seeds, animals, etc will eventually lead to big issues!

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 11:30 AM

I hate greed too but some of this is to increase production because there are going to be food shortages. Have you ever seem the movie "Soylent Green"? Some of the GE is to make the plants more drought and insect resistant. I don't care for it but it is a modern reality.

This is where being a thoughtfull individual can make a personal difference. When we grow and preserve our own heritage type vegetables in our organic gardens we are not affected by the mainstream. The tractors take on alot more importance when it affects how much work you have to do to eat. Good Luck, Rick
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 12:02 PM

This is where being a thoughtful individual can make a personal difference. When we grow and preserve our own heritage type vegetables in our organic gardens we are not affected by the mainstream. The tractors take on a lot more importance when it affects how much work you have to do to eat.

This maybe the best answer for most of us for healthy eating. The GE stuff has been pushed hard all over the world. Now more and more info. seems to be coming out that animals don't necessarily digest some of these GE's very well (and many preservatives). NOTE: huge amount of allergies and auto-immune diseases in the news. Time will tell but we have changed and plant heritage for our veggies and my grass fed beef has no hormones or insecticides...we feel better since we changed a few years back. (just my opinion)

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 02:36 PM

Nothing like try to play GOD!

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Here is some more food for thought , never have we been more over fed and under nourished as we are now!  Bunk on food shortages when they are dumping the stuff in the oceans...

The American Indians that farmed could grow more protein per acre than the big commercial farmers of modern day too. This I find hard to swallow.

I also find most meats tasteless compaired to my own grass fed beef and free range birds but this is just me . But I am afraid of these big companies ruining our lands with all their "SUPER" Fertilizers and GE crops that are weed killer tolerant .... YUCK !!

And the worst thing is they can sue you if you use their seed and try wrongly?? WTF !! Patents on seed.... yeah... ok I'll grow my own stuff and they can starve and help decrease the worlds surplus population ! But it always seems to happen in the reverse order...   

• backwoods said thank you

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 04:24 PM

I love how everyone complains about the GMO stuff, they say it should al be labeled and sold individually from the other stuff.  People have been genetically modifying their food since the dawn of time, you take the best producing crop and re-plant it the next year this weeds out the weaker crops and gives you a better return, now we call it GMO, then we called it common sense.

All the people you see complaining about GMO's and all the other stuff have never had to collect food stamps, never had to choose between heat or supper.  these are all people who have never had to worry.  When you don't have anything and GMO tomato looks pretty good.  There are more mouths to feed in the world than there have ever been and the problem is only getting worse. 

When was the last time you went out to eat and ate everything on your plate?  I grew up without!   we had what we needed but not much else, we learned to eat all of what you got and be thankfull for it.  I see it all the time, people throw out an entire plate of food because it was more than they wanted, what you don't eat leftovers?  Take it home and have it the next day.

OK OK I am sorry for the rant, I do not pretend to know everything about genetically modified foods, only what I Hear on public radio. I just think it ironic that there are people starving all over the world and we throw away food every day.

Pete

• backwoods and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'll just put it this way.....until you've tried making a living fighting insects, drought, disease, and more, you have absolutely no idea what trying to farm is like without the modern advancements. None of us would be eating so good for as cheap as we are without them, not by a long shot.     I'd also venture to say none of us would fare very well trying to feed ourselves 100% on our own.  Those of us with very large gardens still only raise a fraction of what we consume.

Food may become an issue, but I think our biggest issue will be antibiotic resistance & the inability to fight disease.  The GE work may be the best answer to antibiotics in the future.  

I'm not saying there are no negatives to GE or GMO, as for every positive there's almost certainly the opposite, but I also know it will march on till mother nature puts a stop to it.  

BUT, no matter the case, lets all PLEASE keep this on a civil note.  This kind of subject can be very volatile, as it reaches deep inside our thoughts & lives.  

• JDBrian, skyrydr2, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Within the US, only 2% of the population feeds the other 98%. With everybody relying on the grocery store for all their food needs instead of trying to grow some of their own, what do you expect? The small family farm is a thing of the past. Nobody wants to work that hard for their food. So the corps are trying to do more with less. Less land, less water, less labor. I cant imagine anybody today starting from scratch trying to be a farmer. The inital cost of land, machinery, and supplies, they are starting so deep in debt they could never break even.

I did not grow up growing anything. My parents did and they didnt want to have anything to do with gardening. I have had a steep learning curve and if it wasnt for my wife liking to can food I probably wouldnt be gardening either. We (my family) can tell a difference in the food we produce and the food we buy. I am not good enough, or have the time to try to feed my family off of what we grow/kill. We suppliment our diet with what we have. We still make weekly grocery runs and we try to stay away from GMO and GE foods.

ETA: Dan was typing while I was too. The antibiotic resistance is partly because antibiotic research is almost non existant. There is no money in it when compared to designer drugs. Everything is cyclic, antibiotics research was large 50 years ago and we effectivly had a antibiotic to cure every infection. 50 years later new strains of bacteria are showing up and when they become too hard to treat we will get new antibiotics.

Edited by coldone, May 28, 2014 - 05:09 PM.

• olcowhand, skyrydr2 and petrj6 have said thanks

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Wheew! You folks almost got me going. I had a lot of stuff typed out and at the last second I erased it.

Have you seen those fish that glow in the dark because they have jellyfish DNA spliced into their genes? If I eat that fish, will I glow in the dark, too?

Alright, not another word out of me!

• backwoods said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Wheew! You folks almost got me going. I had a lot of stuff typed out and at the last second I erased it.

Have you seen those fish that glow in the dark because they have jellyfish DNA spliced into their genes? If I eat that fish, will I glow in the dark, too?

Alright, not another word out of me!

That might be a good idea!

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Nope but you can see where you pooped.

• MH81, backwoods, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#13 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 07:56 PM

:yeah_that:   Still might be a good idea!!!!!!!!!! :bigrofl: :bigrofl:  At least you will know where not to step in the dark! :bigrofl:

#14 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Nope but you can see where you pooped.

:rolling:

Wife is really big against any of these GE/GMO products, Im personally not up to speed enough to make an informed decision.  I have a suspicion they arent what they are cracked up to be.  Im also very suspicious of "corporate agriculture", unlike the family farm who had few options but to sell at wholesale "market" prices these corporate giants will end up dictating their own market price through the usual manipulations.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:08 AM

This is not the normal topic for me to bite on but.... a friend on facebook shared a picture an article about food waste:popullation an there are 7 million people on the planet an there's enough food grown to feed 12 million people how come people go with out??? Cause of the food taxes the initial price of the food is higher then most average people can afford. My wife an i try to eat healthy but its hard with just her working since i have epilepsy and a bad back im deemed by the state as disabled. If you compare the price of healthy food to junk food thats why americans are over weight impo the government needs to back away from the food industry a little bit or put a higher price on junk food an lower the price on healthy foods....... end rant