WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:55 AM

And why I havn't been on.
A few weeks ago I shut down my computer, when I tried to turn it back on I got "ntmbr not found" I check bios and the C drive is not there. I switch cables out, still nothing. I've never seen a drive fail without some warning, but oh well, wait till payday and go get another. :(
I've always put two drives in my systems. The second being a safer place for "my documents" and the mail storage to be. It don't run as much so get's less wear and tear, and because there is no operating system it is less likely for viruses to find there way there. This does not replace backups, but gives more of a buffer.
So I didn't loose any pictures or any other ireplacable data:rocker2:. I did lose my e-mail though:bash: for some reason the mail store folder got moved back to the boot drive that failed. If I was more organized I might have found my most resent backup by now...hmmm when did I do that...

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Glad to hear you are back and able to use the Computer again.
I think its a good reminder to us all that we should always keep our Backup's updated

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Sorry to hear you've been having problems but glad you're back up & running.

I was starting to wonder just how much seat time you'd been getting :D

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Sorry to hear you've been having problems but glad you're back up & running.

I was starting to wonder just how much seat time you'd been getting :D

LOL. Thinking man that must have been one heck of a snow storm. Can't peel em off the seat.

Glad you got it back up and running. Good idea on having the second hard drive. I usually run at least two drives also and a lot of times in raid so it doesn't matter if one goes. I also like to put important stuff on a dvd or thumb drive.

#5 tm140 OFFLINE  

tm140

• Member No: 2418
  • 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:15 AM

Reminds you to backup more often. My mom had lost a months worth of data on quickbooks because she did not backup when she lost power it was gone.

#6 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:49 AM

A couple of weeks ago I got out from work real late. Grabbed my lunch pail and laptop opened the pass side door of the van and tossed em both on the seat. (laptop was in the bag)
Got about 2 miles from work headed home passenger door opened while I was going around a left turn corner. Out goes the laptop and lunch pail. I drove over both of them. Stopped. Picked em up put them in the van and "CLOSED" the door. Needless to say my laptop didn't survive. Luckily most of my data I had recently backed up onto a thumb drive. (that was in the laptop bag but survived) Now I back up every day before I shut down.