sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:33 PM

I have a guy looking for a rear axle for a D4-7 (same as a T-63 axle). I did not have a spare but did notice one of my D4-7 axles may have started its life as an axle for a D4-10 or another GT.

The early model T-63 and D4-7 axles tips can be cracked or broken and are hard to replace.

Note at the bottom of the picture you will see the tip of a screw driver that points to the milled down axle for the D4-7. The two larger diameter axles on left are for the D4-10 tractors. The smaller diameter axles on the right are for the T-63 and D4-7 tractors.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401226361.898077.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401226379.702166.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401226391.990837.jpg

Edited by sacsr, May 27, 2014 - 05:49 PM.

• DH1, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:25 AM

That's quite a collection of axles. It doesn't look like the BH tractors used a Peerless rear end. Who made the rear end on those, or did they make them in house?

• sacsr said thank you

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:38 AM

Brian the transaxles were made "in house". I think they had company's make/caste the parts, but were assembled in the BH factory.

Arrow made the ring and pinion gears (and I think they made gears for the rotary mowers as well). So far we have not found any other make of tractors we can steal parts from for these transaxles.

I should have shown the last two axles on the right are broken/cracked axles. Will take that picture as well.

• Alc and JDBrian have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 07:53 AM

Scott, that machined axle should also have a deep woodruff keyway on the side we can't see??  If there isn't the remnants of a keyway, then it would have had to have been done at the factory, before the woodruff slots were cut.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Brian the transaxles were made "in house". I think they had company's make/caste the parts, but were assembled in the BH factory.

Arrow made the ring and pinion gears (and I think they made gears for the rotary mowers as well). So far we have not found any other make of tractors we can steal parts from for these transaxles.

I should have shown the last two axles on the right are broken/cracked axles. Will take that picture as well.

That's interesting that they rolled their own transmissions when many major players were using Peerless.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 10:29 AM

They did have a series of tractors that came with a peerless transmission and were belt driven.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 10:38 AM

They did have a series of tractors that came with a peerless transmission and were belt driven.

Yes, the V series had a Peerless 2300 series transaxle.  I used parts from a John Deere 110 transaxle to repair my V4-6 transaxle.

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Learned something tonight. I was working on a T-63 rear end and on one side, the bearings were not mating up to the cup- the axle seemed to be hitting something and stopping. Other side worked fine. Pulled the axles to compare and sure enough they were different- not sure which one went to what transaxle since they supposed to be the same- the punch at the bottom points to where the differences are in these axles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405131747.106007.jpg

Edited by sacsr, July 12, 2014 - 07:37 AM.

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 1 other said thanks