• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jkgordinier OFFLINE  

jkgordinier
  • Member No: 58016
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hi new to sight i recently bought a model 1811 cub cadet with a 44 inch mower and after mowing for approx. 45 minutes it shuts down oil level is right on full let it sit for a hour and a half its starts right back and runs for 45 minutes again and quits ,has 18 hp kohler  thinking oil pressure switch or does it have a overheat protection relay somewhere i have removed all shields and cleaned fins and flywheel  HELP!!!

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Welcome to GTT. Someone familiar with your tractor will be by to help in awhile. Check out the site while you wait. Good Luck, Rick

When it dies are you losing spark? If the fuel lines are older they may be collapsing.

Edited by boyscout862, May 27, 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Although the oil pressure switch is a possibility, I think unlikely.  I'm more inclined to think you have something breaking down electorally like a crack in the coil or flywheel.   Does your Kohler use points?  If so they would suspect as well along with the condenser.  If you let it just run just sitting there does it quit?

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:16 PM

I agree with wild bill on this one,coil ,condenser ,points --------something is getting up to temp and then failing---check that stuff first.

And by the way wecome to GTT,everyone on here are good people.Lots of knowledge.

Bill

#5 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:55 PM

It has a basic magneto type electrical system on the engine.  No points or condenser like the old ones and no fancy relays or shutdowns like the new ones and the oil light on the dash is just an idiot type light that comes on when the pressure is low.  That won't cause it to shut off.  It sounds like the coil under the blower housing is going bad when it warms up and then once it's cooled off it'll work again.  The next time it happens try checking for spark as soon as it happens.  If it doesn't have any that's the problem.  Also check the plug and terminals on the back of the key switch.  I've lost count of how many times a bad contact on the switch has caused me problems on mine and the ones that come into where I work.  Hope this helps.         Stewart

#6 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 03:40 PM

This is a Magnum 18, right?
Can you give more details about how it shuts off? Does it just die or does it lean out and stall? Does choking it help keep it running? The Magnum 18 in my GTX would lean out and stall after about 30 minutes then restart when cooled down. Long story short, it ended up being the fuel pump. When hot, one of the check valves would drop out of position enough to almost stop pumping fuel.

Edited by Canawler, May 29, 2014 - 03:43 PM.