• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mtslesse OFFLINE  

mtslesse
  • Member No: 57965
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:09 AM

I wanted to take a quick second to introduce myself.  I'm brand new to the forum, but have been creepin around for some time learning so great things from some good people.  My wife and I have a little hobby farm north of the US/Canadian border just outside of Vancouver in BC.

We recently acquired a Bolens G174, with the 2 Cylinder Mitsubishi KE 75 diesel motor.  It will be speciffically used to help out where the bigger tractor just cant fit.  First off with anything I do, I push the reset button, get everything fixed that needs it, and change all the fluids and filters.  This unit needed very little fixing, but the filters have been a challenge.

I swapped out the fuel filter assembly with a new replaceable cartridge style unit.  That was easy.  The Air filter has lead to some unexpected challenges.

My air filter cannister measures 6 1/2" long, with an OD of 4 5/16", and an ID of 4 1/16"....The filter that is currently in there measures 6 3/8" long, with an OD of 3 1/2".  The only filters I keep finding are the longer 7 3/8" filters with the white plastic fins attached to one end of the filter.

I saw the sticky "Wisconsin Air Filter Interchange, are these 4 1/4" tall filters my go to filter now? Do I swap out my original cannister with something like what I see on the Kubota B7000? Or would somebody here maybe have the part number to the filter I should be using.

I attached a photo of our little unit

Thanks for any and all of your help, Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• 00R0R_iWeEwjiBHn1_600x450.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Chris!  :wave:   Glad you're becoming interactive!

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:19 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#4 mtslesse OFFLINE  

mtslesse
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll keep a close eye on my post, and I'll keep browsing the forrums

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section for he parts manual. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 27, 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 03:16 PM

:welcometogttalk:

nice looking tractor. 

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Are you sure the correct filter is installed?

This is the one Wix says it calls for:

http://www.wixfilter...aspx?Part=46270

#8 mtslesse OFFLINE  

mtslesse
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 03:54 PM

- Username- That was the part number I keep coming up with, but the air filter housing on our tractor is to short and narrow for that air filter.  To be honest I even ordered two of them, and stared blankely at them and my tractor. 

I have attached a photo of a tractor with the identical air filter housing, and set up as our unit.

I searched through the manuals, but I'm not even sure what model Bolens I have beyond a G174 with a KE 75 Mitsubishi diesel.  Anyone able to direct a rookie to the right parts manual?

With the filter, am I simply over looking something? 

This filter:

http://www.wixfilter...aspx?Part=42302

doesn't have near the CFM rating that the one you linked to me - Username- 

Suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• IsekiTx1500g1.jpg

#9 mtslesse OFFLINE  

mtslesse
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 03:55 PM

The filter I linked was from the Wisconsin Air Filter Interchange sticky (WIX brand)

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Sorry but the Bolens guys will have to help.  That is a good looking tractor!

#11 mtslesse OFFLINE  

mtslesse
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thanks HDWildBill, 

I have ordered a K&N Filter that I'm going to try and retro fit to my application.  

http://www.knfilters...px?prod=RD-0720

Is that a bad idea?  I'll leave my air filter housing in place, I'll just retro fit the inside to accept the K&N Filter.  Thankfully, I don't have to take the filter when it arrives at my local shop, they are willing to bring it in, so I can have a look.

#12 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:00 PM

This filter is supposed to fit the Iseki TX1500F version of your tractor.

http://www.wixfilter...aspx?Part=42965

#13 Kfs35 ONLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well, I'm no help with your air filter, as I know absolutely nothing about your tractor.

But, welcome aboard. There are lots of experts willing to help here.

Bob

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:58 PM

I ran into the same issue with my KE 75. (Bolens/Iseki G152) The lower cfm of the correct size filter scared me. I used the longer filter (Napa Gold, same as the Wix) 6270. I used all thread and a coupling nut to extend the threads and made a new cap by wire welding a piece of thin tubing onto the existing cap to extend it long enough to fit into the filter housing. I put a bead of weatherstripping around the piece of tubing to seal the seam. It still clears the hood by about 3/4".

image.jpg

#15 mtslesse OFFLINE  

mtslesse
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Cat, that would have been a good idea! 

To keep everyone in the loop, I ended up getting the K&N Filter RD-0720. It was 6" tall, and 3.5" in diameter.  The rubber flange that would normally attach itself to a intake velocity stack was about an 1.5" tall.  

I trimmed the rubber flange down so that when placed next to the old filter it stood about 1/4" taller in total height (flange & filter combined).  I then pulled off the little rubber washer from the inside of the tractors air filter housing centering mount/bolt, and that aloud the cap to fit snuggly against the housing with the K&N.   The top K&N filter itself was made out of 1/4" thick rubber, and with the cap on, pressed the filter against the back of the filter housing to create a tight seal.  I think I might even weld a colar on the inside of the filter housing to act as a velocity stack to mount the filter.  I threw on a pre-filter to help out, considering the K&N filters are designed more so for street use, and specify using the pre-filter in offroading and Agricultural applications.  

All in all the job cost me $40 canadian from my local autoparts store, and a little time carefully spent making the flange just right.  Plus i got a sticker for the air box.

No I have to just wait to hear back about my started from the shop, which I unsuccessfully tore apart and cleaned.  The problem didn't get worse, but it didn't get any better either.

Thanks guys, and if anyone knows of the part number for the air filter for my application, it would be a great way to see this thread from question to answer.  I always hate it when someone asks a question, and then disappears, leaving us to wonder if they fixed their issue, and how?

• Cat385B said thank you