• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EMills OFFLINE  

EMills
  • Member No: 57973
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:54 AM

My somewhat trustworthy GT20 has no spark. I have had this problem intermittently over the past 3 years though it was always trouble starting when hot. I have not run it since the last snow storm here in CT, had no problem all winter but I have tried starting it for 3 days now. It cranks strong, I have fuel but I pulled the SP wires and nada spark. I am suspecting the ignition module but before I go that route is there something else I should look into first? Also, if it is the IM, is there an "easier way" to get at it, I believe I have read that the engine needs to be pulled...
Any help and words of experienced wisdom will be greatly appreciated!
Erin in north central CT

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Welcome to GTT. What engine is it? I currently have a similar problem with my Simplicity 3310. I know it a mouse nest because I can smell it and its happened before. I can't run it until I pull it. Check our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Check our manuals section for Ariens info. and also for engine manuals. If it's a Kohler you should be able to get a manual here or at the Kohler web site. It could be something simpler than the module. Perhaps an interlock switch?

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:02 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#5 EMills OFFLINE  

EMills
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:39 AM

It's a kohler magnum 20. I have read, but can't find now a thread about disconnecting the "kill wire" and if it runs it's not the module but a short or bad switch elsewhere. I have all the manuals, though nothing is written about accessing the module. And again, I believe I saw a thread somewhere where someone got to the module by cutting the flywheel guard...

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 10:20 AM

You should be able to get a service manual on the Kohler site for that magnum 20  That should give you the info. you need on that module.

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 03:02 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#8 Bail OFFLINE  

Bail

• Member No: 5796
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 07:43 PM

The only way I was able to get to the I.M. was pull the engine. It's a pain but you need the room to reach the module, and set the clearance for the flywheel magnets that trigger the module. plus the engine shroud directs cooling air around the cylinders and what not.

#9 Gatecat OFFLINE  

Gatecat

• Member No: 633
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 12:14 PM

This won't help you with no spark issue, but hearing hard to start when hot and last time run was during snow storm makes me want to ask if you have returned the air cleaner to the summer position rather than the preheat position.  

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Disconnect the engine wires from the tractor.  Put an inline ignition tester to see if  you get spark and then jumper the starter to turn the engine over.  If you have light on the test they the problem is with the tractor.  If you don't then the problem is most likely the IM.

#11 EMills OFFLINE  

EMills
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yes, I did change switch the air cleaner back to the summer position before I tried to start for the first time last week. I will isolate the engine from the tractor electronics tomorrow to see if it's coil or a wiring problem.
E
  • MH81 said thank you