Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Question For The Wheelhorse Gurus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:33 PM

I was out mowing tonight and got a bit of a scare.  I mow with a classic 315-8 which happens to have an electric clutch.  I ran over a small branch but instead of going under the deck, it hit in such a way that it derailed my mower belt (the one that goes from the PTO tot he deck).  It came off in such a way that I had to take it back tot he shop and, after some minor disassembly, I had the belt back on.  I started the tractor back up and tried the deck.  Nothing.  Now, all I had to do was play with the wire that powers the PTO and it was fine.  It did, however, make me think, would I be able to install a manual PTO in place of the electric one if I wanted?  The hole in the side for the lever isn't there but I wonder if there's anything else that would make this impossible.  Is it possible to do this?

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Jeff, to answer your question. Yes, you can. You will need to get the complete manual clutch setup but it's not a hard conversion.

Here's a photo of one with a manual PTO clutch,

020.jpg

• rustyoldjunk and David Brown have said thanks

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 12:18 AM

With the exception of the hole,like Brian said,it should be a direct install and bolt up. I just changed over a 1973 16 Auto from electric to manual for a guy.

• David Brown said thank you

#4 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:57 AM

Will the CH crankshaft and bearings take the pressure of a manual clutch?

Garry

• David Brown said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:41 AM

Will the CH crankshaft and bearings take the pressure of a manual clutch?

Garry

That's something I hadn't thought of.  I was hung up on the exact location of the hole for the engagement lever.  I imagine it has to be in a certain place and placed fairly accurately.  Chances are I would replace electric with electric but it would be nice to know I have options should I ever need them.  Electric clutches, after all, are pretty pricey.

#6 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 04:06 PM

I've used manual clutches for many years without a problem. I prefer then over the electric on my Classic GT. There's some talk about stress on the crankshaft bearings but, based on my experience, it's a non-issue. You might have to do some minor modifications based on which engine you have but it's pretty straight forward.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 12:40 PM

The manual clutch is pressured IN and OUT, and linkage not really pushing hard sideways on crank or such. The lever kind of Over-cams and locks into place on these. If you find a used one, just make sure all the parts are in the box. Those two sheet-metal arcs and little bolts for them to hold on inner disc are sometimes lost when removed and stored. Couple diff styles of handles where they go into the tunnel and pivot also. Some mount on outside of older ones and inside the tower on newer stuff. Think the rod out to clutch is same, not sure. Many times the little brake pad is gone off top mount, but works fine with out those too.