Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 214 No Compression, Possible Exhaust Valve Issue?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hey guys got another deere here that i picked up for 200 came with a snowblower and some chains and weights.  I plan to use it for my 216 if i can't get this one going.

Problem it had was the motor just turned over and kept on spinning freely.  I can turn the key and attempt to start it everythint turns over but there is just no compression.  The mower will keep on spin after i turn the key off, it spins like it's just free in there.

I was thinking piston and cylinder would be scorched, but after getting into it the piston and cylinder don't look bad.  I did notice that the exhaust valve would just turn inside the head there.  I mean i grabbed it with 2 fingers and could spin the exhaust valve.  The spring didn't seem excessivly loose when i went to pull the keepers out, but I"m guessing I have an issue with the valve or the spring right?  the intake valve is as it should be, it doesn't spin in the head like this one does.

Would it be worth getting a new valve and spring for this or could i have some more serious issues down at the bottom end?  LIke i said the crank seems to spin just fine there is just no compression, unless something down there came apart and that's why it's just spinning?  THe flywheel does spin when it turns over.  When i picked this up there was no oil on the dipstick, that's what had me worried about it.  There's no shards or anything that looks like it's been burnt up though.

thanks in advance fellas!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:09 PM

That sure sounds like a tossed rod.  So the piston is moving?

#3 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:21 PM

I'm actually not sure if the piston moves when i turn it over, i know that when i put it in gear the piston won't move when i shove it.  Is it fixable or would it require major repair?  i'm thinking it may have run out of oil and ruined something down low.

Edited by rippinryno, May 26, 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Bet money the rod is tossed.  Might have broken the camshaft as well.  May be VERY bad inside.

• superaben said thank you

#5 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:29 PM

when you say rod is tossed do you mean piston came off the rode?  would it still cxrank and spin freely, i would think something would get jammed up in there real bad if the piston wasn't there to keep the rod lined up no?  what's the next thing to take off, the oil pan and side flywheel?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'm meaning the rod broke in half, and likely exploded in pieces & is not connected to the crank journal at all.  Without the friction of the piston, the crank/flywheel will spin with ease even after you disengage the starter, coasting to a stop.  This is almost a sure sign the rod has exploded.  Removing the oil pan will immediately show if it's a broken rod.  Crap will be busted into pieces in there.

• rippinryno said thank you

#7 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:41 PM

thanks man, so a new rod at least is probably in order, are there bearings down there that could have gone too or is this something i should try to fix?  i'm mechanically inclined and do have a service manual, i noticed rods are cheap on ebay for these things.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:52 PM

thanks man, so a new rod at least is probably in order, are there bearings down there that could have gone too or is this something i should try to fix?  i'm mechanically inclined and do have a service manual, i noticed rods are cheap on ebay for these things.

Hey, it's always good to try no matter what.  Even if the block & internals are ruined, it will help you learn if you get inside there.  If you tear into it, post pics & we can help you understand what you're up against.  A person who tries is never a failure.

• GTTinkerer and superaben have said thanks

#9 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:59 PM

ok i'm gonna have to get this thing on some ramps though to get that oil pan off, i'll let ya guys know how it looks after i see what's going on in there.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:31 PM

If the valves are opening and closing it looks like the cam is at least still geared to the crank. I think those valves are supposed to rotate a bit as they operate. Others can correct me if I am remembering wrong but I thought the valve rotating as the motor runs was a way to even out heat and wear on the valve. Good luck with it. 

• superaben and propane1 have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:33 PM

I wonder if the piston seperated at the oil rings? I think that is what happened to the Kohler in my Ford!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Never heard of that before, a piston coming apart. Nasty. Noel

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 10:11 PM

Usually the K321 blows up good when it goes.  But it does take a good bit to fry them.  I had one with half the piston blown out and it still started great for the customer, except for that nasty knocking sound....

Kohlers are worth rebuilding, though.  Before you order parts, I would take it apart and either buy yourself a good micrometer or take it to a machine shop and let them check it.  Make sure the parts are within specs before you buy new rods and rings and all that good stuff.  It can get expensive to have parts you end up can't use or end up blowing again because the damage was too severe. 

Never heard of that before, a piston coming apart. Nasty. Noel

It happens pretty often, Noel.  Usually because of excessive wear in the cylinder, overheating, or low oil.

Or all the above.

Ben W.

• propane1 said thank you

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 11:18 PM

I wonder if the piston seperated at the oil rings? I think that is what happened to the Kohler in my Ford!

Kenny, I haven't heard of any K321's splitting the piston. The K341's have been doing it quite often as of late. The 321 seem to throw rods.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 12:19 AM

Kenny, I haven't heard of any K321's splitting the piston. The K341's have been doing it quite often as of late. The 321 seem to throw rods.

Just a thought! Best to pull the head and see if it is moving. Not that big of a deal. Could be a valve stuck open too!