Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Scrap Allis B12 Is Home (Pics!)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:08 PM

You saved one that I would kill for, I want that HI-LO in the worst way.  I have never seen one in person only in pics.  The easiest way to tell if the lights are original is to look at the back of them, there will be a small stamping in the back that will say - guide -  They do look to be original from the pics.

If you decide to part it out I would love to have that HI-LO. 

I just took a look at the lights and they do not say "guide" on them.  They have "NAPA 451" stamped on the back.  At least they match.

I put some juice to it tonight (basically because I could't stand it anymore) and it turns over fine, however, it doesn't have much in the way of compression.  Maybe its from sitting for the past ten or so years but I doubt it.  I put a little gas in it and got it to pop once and that's about it.  I took the plug out, put my finger over the hole and cranked it.  It didn't even try to blow my finger off the hole.

One headlight works.  These appear to be the type that has a replaceable bulb.

#17 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Try to get it running before you worry about the compression, There may be gunk on the valves or something.  Just for safety sake you may even want to pull the head and look at the top of the engine, make sure the valves are not stuck and all that.  It will probably run without to much trouble.  I have three or four of those old briggs and they all ran without to much trouble.

They are getting hard to find parts for so if you think you may want to re-build it you should start looking for parts now.

Peter S 

• David Brown said thank you

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Yep, I got to thinking about a stuck valve after I posted.  We'll see when I get some more time.

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 12:56 PM

So the wife and I were out getting some stuff for the garden today when I told her that I needed to stop by and see the lady I bought the B12 from and pay her.  Well we stopped over and I gave her the cash and asked if she had a key, a manual or any other attachments for the tractor.  She will have to ask her sons but she said lets go look in the shed.  Well, low and behold there sat a snow plow and an original Allis garden plow in extremely nice shape as near as I can tell with everything piled on top of them.  I asked her what she wanted to do and she said she wants to discuss these pieces with her boys and decide what to do.  I don't need these and they would probably get in my way but when I get these old tractors, I like to keep the packages together as much as possible.  These are original Allis implements and neither looks like they were used a whole lot.  I'll gladly fork over some more cash but I'm afraid of what that amount might be with the boys involved.  Ah well, it is what it is.  If they want to sell them, fine, as long as they don't go to the scrap.  Stay tuned.

Edited by David Brown, May 31, 2014 - 12:57 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#20 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:12 PM

I have seen people trying to get $150 each for those type of attachments, they may be worth it but not to me.  The trouble for her is that they are worth less without the machine and for you the machine is worth more with them.  Good luck hopefully she takes care of you the way you took care of her.

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:20 AM

So I'm working on this B12, trying to see why there is low to no compression and I got some good news.  The exhaust valve was stuck open.  So I worked on that a little, got it freed up and, even though the valves didn't look too bad, decided to give it a valve job while I was in there.  The cylinder looks good and the piston has no wobble which is great.  I got my spring compressor and used it on the exhaust valve after I got it unstuck.  Well there is a hole in the bottom of the breather compartment and right away, one of my valve spring keepers fell right down that hole and into the block!  Rats.  I'm going to go buy me a small telescopic magnet tonight to try to fish the thing out through the drain hole.  I drained the oil (that I just put in) but I didn't notice it coming out.  I think it would be too heavy to cause many problems in the engine but, since I don't have another and I need two per valve, I guess I better get it out of there.  I have no time to tear this engine apart so the magnet better do the trick.  I know this thing will run if I can just get these valves back in.

• MH81 said thank you

#22 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 123 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 11:34 PM

Good luck on the keeper!  I lost 2 out of 4 when working on my B&S 16HP 326 series.  Split the crankcase & found one but the other disapeared into la la land.  Another enthusiast had a whole jar full & we found one that matched, whew! There sure a lot of different keepers out there. When reassembling I put one of those plastic hole plugs in that crankcase vent.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:09 AM

I would try kerosene or diesel fuel and let it whoosh out with the tractor tipped on its side at a 45.

#24 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:44 AM

I would try kerosene or diesel fuel and let it whoosh out with the tractor tipped on its side at a 45.

I will definitely give that a try if I don't get anywhere with the magnet.  Great idea, thanks.