• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmn135 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56682
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi Guys (and gals if there are any),

i'm having a heck of a day. Actually with this tractor since day 1. First the fin broke, then the starter went, now i'm having a clutch adjust issue. I only have about 4 hours on the machine! Anyways enough venting. Here is the issue. The gap on the clutch is about .15 and the recommended range is .002-.007. When I run the mower deck I have to hold the stick up to keep it in gear and moving forward, it won't hold at speed on its own. From some web research it seems it may have to do with the clutch.

My clutch has some play in it as you'll see from the vid. However, I also have a 224 parts tractor and that seems to have the same amount of play so i'm not sure if both are worn or that's normal. The next problem is the adjusting nut is as tight as i can get it without the whole fly wheel spinning. I found a video online that showed putting a screw driver in the hole on the casing to hold the flywheel in place as you tighten. Turns out that was a TERRIBLE idea. My screwdriver snapped and the metal part is now sitting inside the case. So now i'm stuck. So I have 3 questions, any insight to any of them would be great as i'm now having a bad tractor day.

1. Should there be as much play in the clutch as there is or does that mean I have worn cam bearings or something like that?

2. Since I already broke the freakin screwdriver, I guess i'm going to have to disassemble the whole front end to get it out. Any tips on holding the fly wheel in place so I can get the clutch clearance tighter?

3. If this doesn't work (and i'm not sure it will) do any of you have thoughts on what else may be causing the mower to not hold speed when running the mower? It seemed to hold speed OK without an implement attached, but once I mounted the mower deck now I have to hold the stick to keep it at speed or it drops back to neutral.

I still can't figure out how to embed properly sorry guys.

Edited by MH81, May 28, 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#2 cmn135 OFFLINE  

• 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Had to take it apart to get to the broken screwdriver piece. My PTO shaft is a bit scored. No idea how bad this is as it's my first tractor. Opinions? I'm pretty sure this is where some of the play comes from in the clutch. The clutch plate itself seems to have enough friction disc left so that's good I suppose. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401127956.445541.jpg

#3 Rick OFFLINE  

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:32 AM

There is a manual section that will walk you through the clutch adjustment. Sounds like you are missing some spring washers.

#4 anixon92 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1118
  • 18 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 03:13 PM

heres a manual for the clutch.

looking at video you have worn out parts.

Edited by anixon92, May 28, 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#5 cmn135 OFFLINE  

• 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 01:18 PM

thanks guys. I ended up getting it sorted.

• olcowhand said thank you