#16 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 04:57 PM

The reason it is noisey is because the anti rattle springs are missing. There should be 3 springs between the tabs on the fiction disc and the basket. These tend to break send fallout.

Those things ALWAYS fall out lol.1st time you get the clutch hot the rattle springs loose they're spring tension and go flat and fall out.

#17 maineiac OFFLINE  

maineiac
  • Member No: 59363
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Follow-up question: How do you in fact get the PTO clutch off the drive shaft? Am trying to fix my own. I have removed the six set screws, per the service manual. The clutch assembly rattles back and forth a little bit, but no more than before. No way I can pull it off... Anything I am missing? Or is it just a matter of getting a couple of pry bars onto the pulley and exerting enough force? Thanks, maineiac

#18 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • Member No: 56442
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for all the input, sorry I have been offline for a while.

I agree using the right parts would have been the best way but it wasnt an option at the time since i needed to use the mower asap. There was so much wear its going to need lots of new parts and i needed to tear into it to understand it better before trying to order them. Once i was there i decided i could get by for now with a little re-engineering.
Its still functioning fine so i havent messed with it. I just chewed through some 4 foot weeds last weekend out in my pasture.

The antirattle springs were there i think the noise is too many worn parts complaining but it is a trooper and keeps going. This winter i plan on a serious rebuild so i will decide which route to go then depending on how rich i am at that point. Part of me wants to try the elec pto just for the adventure of it. I figured the pulley and basket would need to be modified.

I have been adding a three point so i can use a disk and box scraper off a craftsman gt. Got the top link done running off the hydraulic cylinder but i havent finished the hitch arms yet.

I have been looking for a tiller which was why i wanted the tractor, but i cant seem to find any close enough to me. All in all though i really love this little tractor and am well satisfied with the purchase.

#19 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • Member No: 56442
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 01:21 AM

Maineiac I used a regular three claw puller but that also pulled the bearing off too as I wasn't aware at the time there were 6 set screws. The bearing has an eccentric lock so it should stay in place if you have all the screws out and use a puller to pop it off the bearing. Mine pretty much fell off once the screws were out.

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Most of the ones ivr taken apart would pull off by hand after removing all the set screws.

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:15 PM

You can get behind it with a punch and drive it off. You may have to loosen the hood and slid it forward a bit to get enough clearance.

#22 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Make one of these to pull it off. Not my idea, someone else's design.

puller1.jpg