• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • Member No: 56442
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 09:59 AM

First off hello and thanks for this forum, I have gotten a lot of good ideas from here already.

So I have been shopping for an old GT and I found this 149 at a local auction and bought it for 280$.

Brought it home and got it started and figured out things were wrong in a hurry. Motor mount bolts had been stripped out and were gone and the drive shaft pin was broken and chewed up, and the pto was missing the button and chewed up. So... I pulled the motor and pressure washed it out. Got some Hytran and filled the rear end. retapped the bolt holes and mounted the motor. Went to the D&B and got a clevis pin and bushing and rebuilt the driveshaft. Then I pulled the pto off, that was fun...

I finally got to drive it last night and this thing is a beast! Now all I need is to fix the pto so I can put her to work. This is going to be a working tractor and eventually I want to add a front loader to it but that's way down the road. So here is my question: 

Is there an electric pto that is a close replacement for the mechanical one or should I rebuild the mech one? I realize there will be some mods to do but I would rather have the electric pto if it isn't a downgrade in mechanical terms. I have been searching online for any info on this but I haven't found it. Thanks for any advice you all might have.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 10:20 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I have often wondered that same question as I have a 108 with the same mechanical clutch. I think the issue is the pulley for the starter/generator on these as it is built into the PTO clutch.

#3 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thanks!

I was thinking I would have to trim the pto flange off probably or change pulleys. If I go for this I will take notes and pics to help out anyone else.

cub 149.jpg

My pics didn't post as my pc crashed and I used the recovered data :wallbanging:  dang ol internet connection...

#4 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:27 PM

I was able to get the old pto functional after some modification. I was able to mow the lawn and part of the pasture and still going strong. I took an old bearing from a clutch on a geo tracker I had handy and repacked it, turned down a bolt so the head would clear the fingers. Took a few adjustments but it worked.

before the mod

after adding a bearing.

It's not the ideal fix and I still want to swap to an electric if possible but at least its mowing

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#5 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:27 PM

I was able to get the old pto functional after some modification. I was able to mow the lawn and part of the pasture and still going strong. I took an old bearing from a clutch on a geo tracker I had handy and repacked it, turned down a bolt so the head would clear the fingers. Took a few adjustments but it worked.

before the mod

after adding a bearing.

It's not the ideal fix and I still want to swap to an electric if possible but at least its mowing

#6 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Sorry for the duplicate posts not sure how that happened.

#7 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:47 AM

the 149 did not have a electric pto ...only mechanical ones were available at that time. Questions. Does it engage/ disengage properly? hows the bearing? those older pto clutches were very reliable and required very little maintance. I would rebuild the mechanical clutch if possible. my 2 cents

#8 Derail OFFLINE  

Derail
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for the input! The pto does engage and disengage after some work and the bearing feels fine. Your reasoning is probably sound since it seems like no one ever does an elec. replacement that I can find. I do realize the 149 never came with an electric, I was mostly interested in reducing some of the noise from the mechanical one.

It can be rebuilt I am certain with new fingers and clutch plate and control arm pieces which may be the cheaper option. I will agree they are solidly built. Does the pto also act as an harmonic balancer for the motor?

Thanks!

#9 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 11:53 PM

No, the engine will run fine without the pto clutch.

My thoughts would also be to rebuild the clutch the proper way, with the parts that were made for it, for many more years of carefree use. MY 2 CENTS.

#10 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 10:31 AM

I think I have the right button at my house! It's urs for the taking if I can find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 11:42 AM

If you can find an Electric PTO that will allow you to still use the starter generator And line up with the Mule drive it will work.

But I have yet to find one that will line up correctly with out tossing the belt every time you engage it.

Me and my uncle have been looking for 1 for years.Even though the original ones work fine they are a pain in the butt to work on.Those PTO Baskets are getting really hard to find replacements for around here.I have a 102 and a 129 that are down waiting on PTO Clutch baskets.Both were in to have engine rebuilds and both needed the cranks welded up because of loose and worn out clutch baskets. 

#12 smokestack76 ONLINE  

smokestack76
  • Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 12:55 PM

If you can find an Electric PTO that will allow you to still use the starter generator And line up with the Mule drive it will work.
But I have yet to find one that will line up correctly with out tossing the belt every time you engage it.

Me and my uncle have been looking for 1 for years.Even though the original ones work fine they are a pain in the butt to work on.Those PTO Baskets are getting really hard to find replacements for around here.I have a 102 and a 129 that are down waiting on PTO Clutch baskets.Both were in to have engine rebuilds and both needed the cranks welded up because of loose and worn out clutch baskets.

How do you check the baskets? I have 3 complete setups at home on my work bench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Its cheaper to rebuild the meh PTO then it is to replace the coil on the electric model. Also I don't think the S/G will handle the electric PTO for long.

It also looks like you have the wrong one on the motor, then will interchange, but your was made for a narrow frame tractor. Cub made 3 different styles of PTOs for these older tractors. Some of the 149 clutches had 2 fiction discs in them, one will work just fine.

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the input! The pto does engage and disengage after some work and the bearing feels fine. Your reasoning is probably sound since it seems like no one ever does an elec. replacement that I can find. I do realize the 149 never came with an electric, I was mostly interested in reducing some of the noise from the mechanical one.

It can be rebuilt I am certain with new fingers and clutch plate and control arm pieces which may be the cheaper option. I will agree they are solidly built. Does the pto also act as an harmonic balancer for the motor?

Thanks!

The reason it is noisey is because the anti rattle springs are missing. There should be 3 springs between the tabs on the fiction disc and the basket. These tend to break send fallout.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you have the type found on the earlier narrow frame tractors, since yours is a wide frame model there were 2 different types that they used, depending in SN. All 3 will interchange and work just fine.

You will it much cheaper to rebuld the one you have. The way to keep the west down is if you are not using any attachment that uses the PTO, is to engage it after you start the tractor, that way there is no wear on the button.
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 04:54 PM

How do you check the baskets? I have 3 complete setups at home on my work bench.

If they wobble on the crank or the keyway is ripped out they will mess the crank up pretty quickly.

If they are to loose on the crank before you tighten the set screws it will pull off center and it will not stay tight.My 129 crank had to be welded up because of a loose clutch basket.It ended up ripping the key way up and it cut a pretty deep groove from the pulley rocking around.

My 102 clutch basket just would not stay tight no matter how tight I tightened the set screws.It didnt hurt the crank on the 102 like the 129 though.

I've tried to replace the center on 1 before but the pulley is made of 3 pieces and when you cut the center out the 3 pieces pull apart.I could of drilled and bolted 3 or 4 bolts around the thing to pull it back together but it's just easier to find another basket.