Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wait, Um... Hey Mom, Check This Out!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 10:58 AM

We hear about Bears in Residential areas in North and east  GA but not  to much around here.  We have more problems with coyote’s and out here in redneck territory they are taken care of the easiest and cheapest way possible.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Stun gun or Rock salt. Either should do it. Just make sure the next shells in the gun are 00 buckshot or slugs. 

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#18 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,224 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 01:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, if the bear is causing an issue take car of it.  Years ago my parents lived in a house that abutted state land, 3000 acres or so and there was a porcupine that kept coming around the house.  I took the same thought then, leave it alone till it becomes a problem,            WWWEEELLLL one nite I let the dog out for his lap around the house before bed, he got about hallway around the house and it sounded like someone was killing him.  In the end we pulled 140 quills from his rear.  He was not a happy puppy.

The next day I went porcupine hunting!!!!!!!!!  Live and let live only goes so far, if it is a problem animal that will hurt you or your's then it needs to be delt with!

Good luck and be carefull

Pete

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#19 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:07 AM

No bears around me... thankfully but if there was and one felt comfortable enough to come near my house (because it had spent so much quality time with the local Wildlife Department folks during it's relocation process) then I'd take it down... if it's illegal, then your government as let you down and you should fight to fix that or move... or just take it down, butcher it or dispose of the body and act like it never happened. Eventually you will kill off all of the brave ones around your house or end up with a BUNCH of meat in your freezer!

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:33 AM

I was on youth mission trip in '87, went to Williamsport Pa. Us boys stayed with a grandma/grandpa couple, super nice. They lived across from a huge hill, almost a cliff looking thing, probably 100 feet up. She warned us not to get out too far in the mornings cause the black bear run that ridge and sometimes come down near the house  :biting_nails:

• MH81 said thank you

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:20 PM

It sounds as if Williamsport is a Third World City. Missionaries and wildlife.

#22 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 06:17 PM

No bears around me... thankfully but if there was and one felt comfortable enough to come near my house (because it had spent so much quality time with the local Wildlife Department folks during it's relocation process) then I'd take it down... if it's illegal, then your government as let you down and you should fight to fix that or move... or just take it down, butcher it or dispose of the body and act like it never happened. Eventually you will kill off all of the brave ones around your house or end up with a BUNCH of meat in your freezer!

Keep quite and dont let anybody see you do it. Dont keep the meat, US wildlife can come in and search your property with probable cause. You got the meat, you get the fine and time. Buckshot is OK but slugs are better. Either is pretty hard to trace back to an individual firearm.

New a guy in South GA that killed a Florida Panther that was hanging around his house. It was in small town and and nobody was gonna say anything. The Wildlife agents tracked the radio collar to his shed where he kept it. Didnt take long for them to find the pics of him holding the dead Panther. :hitting_self_roller: 

• Cvans and twostep have said thanks

#23 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 06:37 PM

That bear wasn't concerned one bit with you! The last documented bear killed in the Black Hills was by Gen. George Custer in 1874! I'm sure that there were more killed when the white man moved in shortly after but there's a famous picture of Custer posing with it. For many years it was believed that mountain lions had vanished from the hills, but now they are all over. Bears could re-appear too. There are no wolves either, but a couple years ago a wolf was killed by a car on the reservation. It was tagged and it was determined that the wolf was from Yellowstone, so he had traveled diagonally from NW Wyoming clear across the state and a hundred miles into South Dakota.

I'm rambling, sorry---my point is when it is assumed these animals don't inhabit certain areas, it doesn't mean they never will, or maybe even just haven't been spotted or had evidence found.

Cool pics and video! ---DAC

• MH81 said thank you

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:18 AM

It sounds as if Williamsport is a Third World City. Missionaries and wildlife.

......and the home of the Little League World Series

• MH81 said thank you

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 07:30 AM

When I lived in Dubois PA I seen several bear roaming around the country side.  We had a strip mine near Grampian, PA.  I had the fire safety guy with me and we were cruising down a 1 lane dirt road towards the job site and there was a HUGE bear laying in the middle of the road.  He would not move, I blew the horn, yelled out the window, he would raise his head up and just look at me.  Finally I had to drive around him.  He would not move.  Big fella, must of been tired.  The fire safety guy was going nuts.  He said he had never seen a bear in the wild.

Another animal up there, not as impressive as a bear, that I had never seen was a porcupine!  I was more excited over seeing them than a bear.

• MH81 said thank you

#26 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Nice to see the wildlife, just not that close to home. We get occasional sightings of bears in the east end of town close to a county park. None have been reported as being very large but that is a heavily populated area and they do get into the garbage cans.