• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Was up visiting Mom today and when I walked out the front door this bugger was crossing the road in font of the house. I was so stunned, I had to shake my head to remember the ipad was in the car.

I ran down the dirt road and found him again.
No fear of humans at all.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• grand, Gtractor, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:50 PM

Wow Alan, That's close to the houses. I thought that only happened up in the mountains of NC where we used to live.

• MH81 said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,711 Thanks
  • 8,897 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:53 PM

That's where Will's bear ended up at! He scared that thing but good, must of sang a tune to it.

• MH81, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Bears seem to think they rule the roost. Probably for a good reason. 

• MH81 said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Bears seem to think they rule the roost. Probably for a good reason.

He gets any braver, I will have to try to change his perspective.
I'd say a two year old. Just guessing, but he looked to be about two of me size wise, so 400-450 ish?
  • IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 11:05 PM

That would be a little discerning that something like that being that close to my mother. That may be because we don't have bears around here.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 01:04 AM

Do you have a spring bear hunt down there?

We finally got ours back this year. After 15 years of

over population, and countless incidents, the tree

huggers must have figured it all out when the bears

where showing up in major cities where they hold office, and especially

after numerous cases where the bears where hanging around school yards

the last few years. There was one case where a police officer shot one out

of a tree in a school yard. He lost his job. That made the press, big time. Maybe

it finally woke some people up.

It just so happened, that the hunt was cancelled

at the same time, that many of the small garbage landfill sites where closed and

everything went containerized. Now that was good planning. Take their food away

and let them multiply. Of course they're going to go door to door looking for food.

• MH81, tractorgarden, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:13 AM

We've had them in our yard as well. They get used to people and aren't scared at all. We went to green bins and a regional recycling program about 15 years ago. The bears get on a circuit and will show up every couple of weeks at the same spot. That's how they trap them. Plot their predicted stop for the next day and place the trap in that area. That system depends on people phoning in sightings to the Natural Resouses Dept. so they can plot them and figure out where they will be next. I've had one staring me right in the eye while directly below a window in the house. It was going through our garbage. My neighbor had one in his yard and shot it in the behind with a blunt tipped arrow. It just turned around to see what had hit it, then went back to eating the garbage. You shouldn't mess with them, just call the correct authority and let the experts handle them.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:22 AM

We've had them in our yard as well. They get used to people and aren't scared at all. We went to green bins and a regional recycling program about 15 years ago. The bears get on a circuit and will show up every couple of weeks at the same spot. That's how they trap them. Plot their predicted stop for the next day and place the trap in that area. That system depends on people phoning in sightings to the Natural Resouses Dept. so they can plot them and figure out where they will be next. I've had one staring me right in the eye while directly below a window in the house. It was going through our garbage. My neighbor had one in his yard and shot it in the behind with a blunt tipped arrow. It just turned around to see what had hit it, then went back to eating the garbage. You shouldn't mess with them, just call the correct authority and let the experts handle them.

That's one way, the other is to defend one's property.
I will call our game commission if it happens again, but they will likely do very little. It will fall upon the people of the community to give it a reason to fear humans. While I am certain that no one wants to maim this beautiful creature or kill it without real need, if the problems become threatening, I assure you that someone around there will do more than poke it with a sharp stick to teach it the lesson.
  • olcowhand, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:38 AM

That's one way, the other is to defend one's property.
I will call our game commission if it happens again, but they will likely do very little. It will fall upon the people of the community to give it a reason to fear humans. While I am certain that no one wants to maim this beautiful creature or kill it without real need, if the problems become threatening, I assure you that someone around there will do more than poke it with a sharp stick to teach it the lesson.

I wouldn't recommend a sharp stick! It is against the law big time to kill a bear up here if it's just on your property. We are talking firearms charges as well as wildlife act infractions. Not sure of the laws in your area though. I think Coyotes are more dangerous then bears. A few years ago in a Cape Breton park, which is the northern end of our province, a female hiker was killed by a pack of coyotes. It was a pretty big shock to everyone.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:47 AM

About 2 miles from us is a large provincial camp ground. They constantly

have bear issues. They trap them, tag them, and take them about 100 miles

away and release them.

A friend of mine runs a maintenance crew in the park. He tells me that many

of the tagged ones come back again, over and over. No body has been hurt

or killed yet, but lots of property damage.

So, what's being accomplished there, besides employing a few conservation

officers, and giving the campers a warm fuzzy feeling, so they think they are

coexisting.

I think it's pretty simple math.

Too many bears=bears trying to find food where there are people.

I've had to deal with 4 of them over the years with a "large sharp stick", at my

business. I'm not going to have a customer get mauled at my garbage dumpster.

There's enough bush out there, for the right number of bears.

• olcowhand, KennyP, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:06 AM

I just saw a black bear the other day around here, that is two springs rite in a row.  Last year we were down at the soccer complex for a coaches meeting and there was a black bear in the corn field rite next door, not 200 yards away! everyone was freaking out, thankfully around here they are just black bears and are only foraging for food so they don't bother to much.

We have a fall hunt that goes with the deer season, I get a tag every year but do not actively hunt them, if I am deer hunting and see one I will take it.  I really have a policy of live and let live.  That is until it becomes a problem, then you just take care of it.  I personally would let it go and see if maybe the bear moves on, if it doesn't bother you  why bother it?

Pete

• MH81 and JDBrian have said thanks

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:19 AM

We get them in NW Ct , I've had them in my yard, the biggest problem for us is people forget to stop putting out the bird feed when the bears get up from hibernation. Once the regular food supply is out we don't see them as much. Haven't had many problems yet.
Around here ,couple years ago, a man shot a bear for being on his property. He was charged with discharching a firearm too close to a residence and I believe several charges with DEP. Tom

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:18 AM

I was so stunned, I had to shake my head to remember the ipad was in the car.

This just reminds me of Yellowstone tourists. . . .    You should be carrying a Tazer!

A couple years ago, there was a black bear in Chesapeake, Va, in a residential area. Chesapeake is quite wooded and pretty close to Dismal Swamp.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:41 AM

.  I really have a policy of live and let live.  That is until it becomes a problem, then you just take care of it.  I personally would let it go and see if maybe the bear moves on, if it doesn't bother you, why bother it?

I will leave it alone, no problem... Except for when the damage happens or our dog gets cornered again or the bird feeder gets ripped down again. I have a 4 year old who loves to play in the yard, if she had been out there, I would have lot my damn mind.

We almost had to take the dog for therapy, dumb bear cornered her in the coop a while ago. He was outside, she was peering herself inside. It's just not shying away enough for my liking.

Even if I do have to get its attention, I plan on just using good old fashioned noise from a discharge behind it to convince it to lumber along elsewhere.
  • IamSherwood, LilysDad, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks