#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Bought a Briggs with starter/gen that cranks when battery is tried on it. it is model 24, finally uncovered the codes. What size is that then?   I pulled the cover off it and was just full of mouse nest. Found four little Meeses in the mess, real tiny, but not really that long ago left. They were still kinda soft, but very dead!  Noticed flywheel was out from block a ways. Looking behind it and nothing is in there. Guess wouldn't need charge coils and has points on side, so guess nothing needed there. Is first time I've seen one so naked behind there. the flywheel guard itself was quite a deal. Outer rounded screen, with two long bolts to hold onto a cast front part or 1/2 then a metal plate around that which bolted to flywheel in four spots, then a backing tin that wouldn't come off till cover was removed all sandwiched in by a cast backing that matched the front half. THEN, the big nut and lock tab thing. Seems like a lot of junk to have on there. Can I leave most of it off? I'm thinking maybe it could have had a shaft bolt to front part like later tractors use, but now had just the two bolts in that place, but was shaft sticking out about 1/2"  to outside.

Carb on this looks like ones on my 16hp Briggs, but is angled a little, not 90* like that one. Maybe a little higher cuase manifold was smaller?  Can I just change that manifold, or should I just leave alone? Not sure why carb is angled. Air cleaner position?

Air cleaner is homemade on this carb. I have the big bottom to carb, turns up, but then no air cleaner plate on it now. Can those be taken off and on carbs? They had a plumbing pvc drain pipe on there, then a small air cleaner mesh thing bolted to the blower housing instead. I'ld kinda like to go stock, but hoping not to have to find another carb bottom to do that?

What I'm doing is making this up to go on the new Speedex I just got, the S-24, whether right HP or not, it will look OK. Seemed to have compression and I took head off for tins and junk in fins and looks good in cylinder and valves looked good too. Now noticing the governor arm does not move, so might have to open it up anyway. Was hoping not to do that. I'll mess with that more on outside and see if it will come clean and move again first.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 11:05 PM

Ii swear mice love briggs more than any other engine.
Glad you Lund a donor for the X

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 11:47 PM

My Briggs manuals don't say HP for the 24 series. Anyone know? Why is it not listed in books?  Guess my year of engine is 71. January 9th build date. Book shows should be rope start, but I have start/gen, BUT, it looks kinda rigged on the upper mount for it. SO, could have been changed. Gonna try to leave gen on.  It works.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Its probably 10 hp as the 23 series was 9 hp. Good Luck, Rick

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 02:42 PM

yeah, guessing 10 also. Seems to be same block as bigger units.  Went to get head gasket and girl on counter didn''t see it in here "picture" book.  Went to puter cause owner says it is an "Antique" engine, ha!  Found right away using 24300 number. $5