#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:35 AM

Brian  , the last few winters I could plant lettuce in the covered raised bed in late Sept. early Oct and it wouldn't grow that big  but in early spring it would start growing again ,,, not this year  everything in  the bed froze out so between starting lettuce inside  and buying plants  we're  just stating to pick some . The old potatoes from last year  got planted in mulch between the winter  cover crop and look pretty good . I would like to cut that today .The tomatoes got planted right in the cut cover crop area in the upper garden and I'll use the cutting for the mulch around them.

Al, you have some very nice gardens, i get a sense of peace when i see it.

The mulch/shredded chips you have around is something i plan on doing with my uncle's garden only i plan on re-grinding it more fine so it will be easier to break down over the season now that i have a much bigger more heavy duty chipper/shredder so the thatch can be left to ''ferment'' for a while before being ground into compost with leaves, straw, garden trash, manure, lime and rich dirt.

• Alc said thank you

#17 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:42 AM

I tried a pair of disc hillers mounted on a vator frame and did o.k. What worked better for me though was the disc harrow set wide to throw dirt inward. It was easier to get a nice straight hill. The vator/disc setup would get get kicked a little crooked when it hit tough spots in the dirt.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:59 AM

I tried a pair of disc hillers mounted on a vator frame and did o.k. What worked better for me though was the disc harrow set wide to throw dirt inward. It was easier to get a nice straight hill. The vator/disc setup would get get kicked a little crooked when it hit tough spots in the dirt.

I ran into that problem also, that's were gauge wheels really come in handy, i tried mounted narrow shovels just ahead of the hillers which seemed to help keep it straighter.

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#19 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 05:19 AM

I ran into that problem also, that's were gauge wheels really come in handy, i tried mounted narrow shovels just ahead of the hillers which seemed to help keep it straighter.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. It's fun to try different things. I really enjoy stirring the dirt.

• trowel said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 05:26 AM

So far I've only hilled the potatoes but are there other crops that like a little dirt thrown at there base ?  Or doing it with regular cultivating sweeps ?  I did a little reading last night and they were explaining how it's easier to cultivate when your garden is flat and rows straight  , mine are neither lol    Love all the info all of you have been posting ,   still don't know the model #'s  by heart so I have to go look to see what your talking about lol  , hope to be able to some day ,

Again Thanks Al

• trowel said thank you

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 05:28 AM

That makes sense , your loosing the soil with the shovels and just using the hillers to mound it :thumbs:  

• trowel said thank you

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:00 AM

I love it too, as of late been distracted with other ''things'' i have also spent years searching for but plans is in the works for a veggy garden up by the barn someday of which i would love to use the Super 3 (104) for.

Yeah, thing i love about these new online fourms is all the ideas and tricks we can share and try, after all the years of using power equipments and being around steady old timers, many of which i have already loved and lost passed down years of hard earned lessons, hints and tricks which i try my hardest to pass on to any willing.

I still have my uncle's steady hand to guild mines, thanks Keven.

• Alc said thank you

#23 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 12:59 PM

So far I've only hilled the potatoes but are there other crops that like a little dirt thrown at there base ?  Or doing it with regular cultivating sweeps ?

I'm growing peanuts and it's good to throw some dirt to them so that the "pegs" that the plant produces from can get a good foot hold. I have a small set of hillers on one cultivator frame for this. I've hilled other crops as they emerge too just to bury the young weeds that attack the crop and to help with drainage.

• coldone, Alc, B10Dave and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:01 PM

Those sweeps are like the ones I have but mine are worn a lot more . Do you think the wing extension is made from regular steel or some type  of spring steel ?

• trowel said thank you

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Excellent :thumbs:, great to see her working the earth, many thanks for the video and show and tell of the two vators, this will help a lot of people.

Al, i would imagine the extension is of the same grade steel as the rest of the vator frame.

• Alc said thank you

#26 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have a couple more vids on YouTube of set ups on the cultivators. If ever get around to it I want to post videos of all the items I have in service.
  • Alc and trowel have said thanks

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:27 PM

We would like to see them, it would be a great visual aid in conjunction with the post.

#28 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 04:47 AM

Nothing to do with cultivators but, might be useful info to folks repowering these tractors

Edited by VSTROM803, June 14, 2014 - 04:49 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:52 AM

The videos are great ! Maybe they could be in a special post and then "pinned"  in the Walk Behind forum 

• trowel said thank you

#30 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:56 AM

The videos are great ! Maybe they could be in a special post and then "pinned"  in the Walk Behind forum 

That's a great idea, could be under the attachment catigory.