Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Tried the hillers I  made up for the DB today on the potatoes, worked well .Than add the cross beam and found a cultivator sweep that worked for a furor opener that I planted beans in . I was going to try weeding the beets but it was such a  mess I pulled them all out , placed them in a bucket of water ,used the hillers again and replanted them.   I'm not sure how well they will do being replanted but we'll see .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0672.JPG
  • DSCN0673.JPG
  • DSCN0674.JPG
  • DSCN0675.JPG
  • DSCN0676.JPG

Edited by Alc, May 25, 2014 - 08:42 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Lauber1, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Nice!

I'm jealous! I havent even been able to get a tiller in the garden this year. With it raining almost every day I have standing water still in the garden :(

• Lauber1 said thank you

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 12:23 AM

Nice!

I'm jealous! I havent even been able to get a tiller in the garden this year. With it raining almost every day I have standing water still in the garden :(

I would be jealous of  you, we cant seem to buy a rain here. Thought we would get something today, but it pooped out about 50mls west of us. I turned the water on the last couple days, but that isn't going to be a good long term plan.

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 12:25 AM

Tried the hillers I  made up for the DB today on the potatoes, worked well .Than add the cross beam and found a cultivator sweep that worked for a furor opener that I planted beans in . I was going to try weeding the beets but it was such a  mess I pulled them all out , placed them in a bucket of water ,used the hillers again and replanted them.   I'm not sure how well they will do being replanted but we'll see .

What  you need is the part of the vator that would make it into a 555 model. Then you can mount the tooling in a lot of different places, like the middle.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:20 AM

Al, the garden is off to a great start. We haven't planted yet and had a hard frost last night. All the high spots of the turned soil in the garden were white with frost this morning and it was -2C 28F.

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:49 AM

What  you need is the part of the vator that would make it into a 555 model. Then you can mount the tooling in a lot of different places, like the middle.

I keep a look-out for one , there's someone on CL   that listed  implements as a package about 3 hours away , I don't think the BOSS would be too happy with me . Not about spending $150  but it would end up being a whole day thing .lol

http://york.craigsli...4476051717.html

• Lauber1 said thank you

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Brian  , the last few winters I could plant lettuce in the covered raised bed in late Sept. early Oct and it wouldn't grow that big  but in early spring it would start growing again ,,, not this year  everything in  the bed froze out so between starting lettuce inside  and buying plants  we're  just stating to pick some . The old potatoes from last year  got planted in mulch between the winter  cover crop and look pretty good . I would like to cut that today .The tomatoes got planted right in the cut cover crop area in the upper garden and I'll use the cutting for the mulch around them.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0644.JPG
  • DSCN0640.JPG
  • DSCN0641.JPG
  • DSCN0642.JPG
  • DSCN0643.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:56 AM

I keep a look-out for one , there's someone on CL   that listed  implements as a package about 3 hours away , I don't think the BOSS would be too happy with me . Not about spending $150  but it would end up being a whole day thing .lol

http://york.craigsli...4476051717.html

well he's got a pile of stuff, but then again its a pile of stuff. None of the vators pictured are right or complete. The 555 kit came with 4 heavy adjustable shanks. The 55 or the 524 came with just the lite weight fixed ones. The 110 came with the heavy ones, but that one is missing half or the parts, and i'll bet the screws are stuck, Those tires arent really any prize, so you would just have the rims maybe, if the fluid hasn't eaten part of them up. The best item in the pictures is the top frame, and thats exactly what  you need.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 02:35 PM

You know way more then I  do about these DBs  I do have another option,,, a few years ago I picked up a piece of 5' rectangle stock that's the same size as the cultivator shanks used on the Tri-Trac ,I have quite a few  full , half sweeps and hillers . I was going to mount it on a upside U shape frame that went on the PKs 3pt . Not having room at the end of the rows makes turning a large tractor a pain so that plan scraped .

#10 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm the opposite. I have the triangle section but not the shanks. I've been looking for the southern cultivator since getting interested in DBs. Instead I've found things like the saw, seeder, and field planter. I'm sure one will show up some day.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Here's the other hiller I tried next to the one from the Tri-Trac  , I  think I could unbolt it from the Tri-Trac's shank and use the round shanks from this hiller   to hill the potatoes one more time.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0821.JPG
  • DSCN0494.JPG

Edited by Alc, June 12, 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:59 PM

That could work, interested to see if it would work.

The 555 is one of the hardest to find vators out there and one of the most versatile.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:39 PM

That could work, interested to see if it would work.

The 555 is one of the hardest to find vators out there and one of the most versatile.

really?, we find here the 110 is the hard to find one. 55. 524 are the most common, then the 555, but its ussally the one missing the good parts that make it work. I remember once I took a 555, pulled it out wide, attached the beam extensions and had it 60" wide. Used it to work a tomato field of an acre.

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Here's the other hiller I tried next to the one from the Tri-Trac  , I  think I could unbolt it from the Tri-Trac's shank and use the round shanks from this hiller   to hill the potatoes one more time.

one thing that makes a good hiller is a pair of middle buster shovels. you could mount them on your modified vator.  I built my own hillers out of a pair disc covers, from a fertilizer machine. There mounted on a vator tool bar, set up for the suburban. The same could be done for a walker.

628 hiller.jpg

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 04:21 AM

really?, we find here the 110 is the hard to find one. 55. 524 are the most common, then the 555, but its ussally the one missing the good parts that make it work. I remember once I took a 555, pulled it out wide, attached the beam extensions and had it 60" wide. Used it to work a tomato field of an acre.

Ah, then let me re-phrase it, a complete one and you said, usually missing the beam extension or modified for a riding GT.

I only know of a few people around here that have the complete 555, Keven being one of them, Chuckles being the other and he got that one from Keven then one in NH, another in NY and few others on the east coast but that was as of last summer or so.

A really rare one is something of a factory experiment i know someone has, we were looking at it and talking about it a few weeks ago, odd ball thing, forget the model # but it has the gauge handles very similar to the harrow packer, only one any of us has ever seen, not modified at all, all factory built. I was told it makes for using it in the garden very easy when compared with the 110 which is rare out here too, 524, and 555.

I am sure you and Keven has talked about it in the past on the Yahoo groups.

I know this must sound odd but when i was growing large gardens in Ohio i used a 524 and was thinking of modifying the older very well built Brinly CC600 vator with the square shank holders for the Big 5. I even though about the Brinly spike tooth drag harrow (forget model #) but is very rare too and very $$$ but it could be configured in several ways as a drag harrow, scarifier, drag grader/leveler and several different ways of mounting tools such as shovels and furrowers/hillers, spike tooth behind the disks for smoothing the beds with i think a 60'' spread.

It is a factory modified version of the CC600 anyways and could be made up using two CC600s.

Edit : Brinly SS-500 spike tooth drag harrow.

Edited by trowel, June 13, 2014 - 05:01 AM.