• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Not sure this is right topic section for these but here goes.  I have a neighbor that's been wanting a trail mower to pull behind an ATV or off to the side of his tractor so he can mow the banks of his pond at his cabin and stay on level ground himself  for fear of flipping sideways while mowing.

I was looking on CL for something else and i had a 44" swisher trail mower pop up about 80 miles away for a way cheap sounding price.  The listing said "project" but also that "wouldn't take much to finish up"   yeah right  seems all projects say that.   but for the price I took the ride. 

This unit originally had an 8HP (pull start)  Briggs, a litle weak for a 44" deck if you ask me.

the seller bought it "blown up"  and replaced the 8HP with a 14HP single cyl Vanguard.  Better for slope use anyway IMHO because it is pressure lubed as opposed to the original motor being splash lube.

the 14HP isnt new,  but he got it a couple yars ago mounted it up and made sure it ran and then let it sit and collect dust. 

That I know of it needs the wiring harness that he threw in modified for the elec start (I guess the harness was on the machine the engine came from, what ever that might have been)  it needs a gas tank and mountings made for it (I have a metal oval one; either a 6qt or a 2 gallon up in the attic!) 

figures I just gave away a 1 gallon Tecumseh snowblower gas tank 2 weeks ago.

That and it needs a battery along with a hold down setup  "engineered" put in.

Other than this it needs the tires reseated on the beads  and a little bit of paint, then it should be good to go...

I worked on a Haban version for another guy I know a few years ago; this Swisher seems beefier than the Haban was...  

I would like to find a manual for it,  when I needed one for a Big Mow a while back, Swisher was really good about getting it out to me.

• Alc, HDWildBill and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 09:46 PM

I have noticed the same thing with 44" and the 60" Swishers I see on CL. Deck still looks good, engines are toast.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 09:57 PM

there were about 8 others listed semi local all claimed to run from $300-1100. the $1100 one was said to have been "used only 3 times"  there was one for $800 that was shown like "3/4 view" because the seller ddint peel the tarp all the way back this one looked new as well....  ones whose decks have a little peeling paint like this one are usually $500-600  asking price.

One seller has 2 of them for $1000/pair or $600 ea.  so I have some room to work...

One thing bugs me about the replacement engine the seller had already put on; it has 2 oil drain plugs (pipe plugs)  Either one would be best to add a 90* and a pipe nipple extension so that you don't have oil drain all over the mower; the one that would amke more sense to use based on where it comes from the sump, 1/2 the threads are cracked off/missing; it dont appear to be leaking but I'm afraid to take the plug out and put a nipple in for fear it may not seal up again...

I actually had thoughts of making one  there's a guy the next town south of me that made one out of a Sears Suburban deck  and madn did he do a great job on that one; it definitely does not look home made at all. 

#4 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:40 AM

dodge trucker, if you ever get a chance to takes some pictures of that one post them up.

I am wanting to build one in the future from a big mower deck and need some ideas.

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:35 PM

"I was looking on CL for something else and i had a 44" swisher trail mower pop up .....I would like to find a manual for it."

You can download the manual at www.swisherinc.com

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 06:58 PM

dodge trucker, if you ever get a chance to takes some pictures of that one post them up.

I am wanting to build one in the future from a big mower deck and need some ideas.

I havent been over to this guys place in a couple years  his back yard used to be FULL of the kinds of things that bring us to this site but the last few times I have been by that way, it seems they are mostly gone... this home made trail mower wasnt something he let sit out though.... his building was also pretty full... this guy is in the next town south of me  I used to go thatw ay all the time but now that I work an hour north west of my home I don't get a chance to get down that way much any more.  

Edited by dodge trucker, May 27, 2014 - 07:00 PM.