#16 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,241 Thanks
  • 9,182 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Not poisonous going by the outset eyes.  Also, turn him over & look at his belly lines.  in front of it's anus, the lines across are unbroken, and after the anus, the lines break in the middle.  Poisonous snakes the lines go straight across all the way to the tip of the tail.  

What happens when you've got him down and turned over; and the last thing you remember is his anus lines are unbroken.

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 11:30 PM

I hit a black snake mowing a while back. That made me sad. I like having black rat snakes around to help control vermin. I redeemed myself by swerving around one in the driveway a few days later though. I usually see at least a few black snakes every year but I don't think I've ever seen any other kinds around here so I probably wouldn't be very helpful in id'ing one.

Is there a good way to tell if one's venomous without trying to flip it over to look at it's backside? 

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,832 Thanks
  • 30,707 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Is there a good way to tell if one's venomous without trying to flip it over to look at it's backside? 

I think there are only 4 families of venomous snakes in the lower 48 states.... Rattlers (easy enough to see a rattler), the Copperhead (bright copper/red/orange look), the Cottonmouth (thick triangular head, usually held at 45 degree angle to their body), and the Coral (yellow/black/red alternating bands).

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• Member No: 5815
  • 2,892 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'm not a snake expert by any means but the Bullsnakes like in the first and second pic survive and get turned loose in the back yard.

Rattlesnakes on the other hand have to be killed when they get into inhabited areas like this one I killed a few years ago at work in the last 2 pics. Incidentally the rattles don't work when they are wet, so I didn't realize it was a rattler until I had him out of the water and I noticed the shape of his head. They look kind of similar to a bullsnake at first glance, and bullsnakes will try to act like a rattler, coiling up and buzzing their tail. All these pics are crappy cell phone ones---.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG0204.JPG
  • IMG0208.JPG
  • Web rattlesnake 7-25-11  in water.jpg
  • Web rattlesnake 7-25-11 no head.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#20 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,203 Thanks
  • 4,587 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Looks like a Rattleheadedcoppermoccasin to me...They are the most dangerous snakes alive....that is why I make them dead.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,122 Thanks
  • 44,131 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 06:46 PM

Looks like a Rattleheadedcoppermoccasin to me...They are the most dangerous snakes alive....that is why I make them dead.

:ditto:

#22 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 08:34 PM

The only way a snake gets a death sentence here is if he's poisonous and I yet to have one of those,, he gets into the house, I had to "execute" one once because he decided to drop into the basement rather than go back outdoors.  I have had a few commit suicide with the mower deck out back, hate to see that but it happens.  They keep all the moles, mice, frogs and other pests in check.

• MFDAC said thank you

#23 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,002 Thanks
  • 8,519 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Snake and lizard are friends. This is a different skink than was in the frist picture. This little guy was rescued from the cat hence the mangled tail.

IMG_20140528_122526_096.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, May 29, 2014 - 09:34 AM.