Hydro Oil

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ironcub OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56184
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 05:37 PM

What oil have you guys had better luck, performance for a hydrostatic cub? My local Ih dealership says hytrans only. Has anyone used others such as Schaeffer's or amzoil hydraulic oil? Im totally cool with ih oil, but im curious if a high end oil would be better. I want what is best for my cubs.

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I sell Alco Hydro-Fluid.  15w50 weight.  I have had no problems with it.  It works in zero turns but it also seems to go backwards.  I've put it in Cubs with no problems. 

Is this an IHC Cub or a MTD Cub?

For an old Cub, I would use Case IH Hy-Tran or an equivalent.  Warren oil works good as a replacement, I don't know if anyone near you sells it.  The main thing you want is to not use a Wal-Mart knockoff that does not have the anti-foaming in it. 

For a newer Cub I'd buy a case of Alco and use it.

Ben W.

• zippy1 said thank you

#3 ironcub OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56184
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 06:27 PM

They are all ih cubs. Early and mid 70s. For myself I never cared for mtd equipment

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I use JD hygard or Amsoil hydrostatic tractor fluid. I have the Amsoil in my 2320 compact tractor. The transmission runs noticeably cooler with the Amsoil. It's pricey though. Both my JD 314 and 317 had red transmission fluid in them when I got them. i switched to the JD low viscosity hygard fluid which is what all the newer JD hydrostatic drives use in this climate. 

• Alc and ironcub have said thanks

#5 Grumpy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 440
  • 641 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Don't laugh, but I use Dexron in my hydro and gear drive puller with no problems.

#6 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:14 AM

I bought a cub once with 10 w 30 or something like that in the rear.....   it was a mess switched to hytran then discovered a slimmy film on the inside of the trans housing ...took me lots of scrubbing with diesel fuel to get that stuff off of there.  I would stick with regular old hy-tran...