• Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 12:23 AM

I read this and it made me almost puke!

[ATTACH]1161[/ATTACH]

Silent and eco-friendly concept mower for the future

Husqvarna, the global leader of outdoor power products, has developed a quiet, powerful and environmentally friendly ride-on mower for the future garden. The concept mower, developed by Husqvarna's designers and engineers, is made of recycled materials and gives an indication how the future of mowing might come to look.
Stockholm 9 June 2009 /PRNewswire/

— "Husqvarna Panthera Leo demonstrates our innovation capacity and ambition to develop high performing products with less environmental impact," says Magnus Yngen, President and CEO of Husqvarna.

Husqvarna Panthera Leo is a hybrid made up of two ride-on mowers, Rider and Zero-Turn. A battery that can be charged at any electrical outlet has replaced the traditional gas engine. Five powerful electrical motors partnered with a sound absorbing cutting deck, allow the Husqvarna Panthera Leo to glide effortlessly and silently across your lawn. The three individually suspended cutting decks enables this mower to mow smoothly over bumpier parts of your garden, avoiding lawn scalping. The cutting decks each have razor sharp blades for a close cut finish and can be controlled to suit wide or narrow lawns (from 85cm up to 120cm).

All functions are managed via paddles on the steering wheel. Via an LCD-display gardeners are told everything they need to know to achieve a perfect lawn, from how fast they are driving, cutting height, cutting width, remaining battery time, service needs and warns the user about objects that are too close. With the help of sensors, Husqvarna Panthera Leo can recommend the most suitable speed and cutting height for the perfect lawn.

Husqvarna is the leader in several areas in terms of products with reduced environmental impact. The Group's new engines comply with the strictest exhaust-emission criteria in the US and Europe.

Features
•Equipped with zero-emission technology
•Produced from recycled materials
•Rechargeable Lithium-phosphate battery
•Plug-in product, charged at any electrical point
•Five brushless electrical engines, easy and clean to maintain
•Three separate cutters equipped with razor sharp blades
•Cutters individually suspended to glide smoothly over bumpy terrain and prevent lawn scalping
•Variable cutting width (85-120cm)
•Zero-turn functionality
•Lifting cutting deck (90 degrees)
•Ergonomic steering wheel
•Easy to control dashboard
•Cutting time 2 hours, overnight charging

Attached Thumbnails

• eco crap..jpg

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 11:56 AM

Yep. It's getting kind of scary. I think some of the changes, coming up in the future, aren't going to be to my liking.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 03:06 PM

Part of me thinks it is kind of cool because I do like technology when it comes to different things then part of me can only hope this doesn't make it to where we aren't allowed to have our old tractors anymore. I am sure there will be a time when "gas engines" are outlawed but who knows how long that will be.

#4 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 28, 2010 - 06:50 PM

I don't think it will catch on, they said in a year everyone would be riding SegWays, I don't even see them very much anymore. They tried the electric mowers in the 70's and abandoned it without even trying. What they do is what they always do, foist cheap 1200 dollar riders that last 2 years for most of the masses, and 10,000 dollar mowers for those who refuse to buy crap. That's their marketing program, because the guys in marketing are the same slouches that worked at burger king, but with a degree

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 08:41 AM

I can't imagine doing my lawns with that.I mow almost 12 acres,takes about 6 hours.Battery good for 2 hours,charge over night,I'd never get my lawns done.Time I finished,I'd have to start over again.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 06, 2010 - 10:31 PM

12 acres might be pushing it with that thing but for say 4 acres and less it would probably be perfect. It would probably mow 3-4 acres an hour.

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 09:16 PM

the only thing in common would be the smoke coming from the mower when you hit high grass lol
one from your 40yr old gas motor burning oil or
some from the wiring insulation burning off when the motor starts stalling

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:24 AM

I knew I didn't care for Husqvarna for some reason, now I know why.

#9 nova ss OFFLINE  

nova ss

• Member No: 1473
  • 8 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:52 AM

I say we recycle the whole darn thing

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I can't imagine doing my lawns with that.I mow almost 12 acres,takes about 6 hours.Battery good for 2 hours,charge over night,I'd never get my lawns done.Time I finished,I'd have to start over again.

Well that is simple... It will be decided that you have too much, and your "excess" land will be redistributed to those who do not have any in order to "spread the wealth" to be fair. Then your mandated zero emission mower, built by GE (government owned) will be more than enough for "your needs".

Oh wait... you lie in Canada, you are safe from this madness, Eh?

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:57 PM

Well since I'm not commuting to work in the Hovercraft, that was predicted we would all be driving now, in the Popular Mechanics in the late fifty's.
And tha really ticks me off!
I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.

#12 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 09:04 AM

I liked the quote in a Popular Science article from a few years ago - dude , where's my flying car ? Just what we need , a stoner flying overhead. Seriously I dumped their mag because of the code phrases and bs.

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Things like that don't bother me. We aren't the target market, the guy with an acre or two who does nothing more than mow is. Meanwhile it helps develop the technology so one day they can come up with something practical for the rest of us. I have no fear of electric tractors, just as I like my battery-powered tools. It's clean, quiet and, at least if you live where I do, relatively cheap.

When they come up with one that will run for six hours (or has a spare, easily changed battery pack) that will do what I need it to, I'll wait two or three generations for them to work out the bugs, then I'll consider it.

I could do without the George Jetson on acid design though.

#14 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 04:20 PM

Things like that don't bother me. We aren't the target market, the guy with an acre or two who does nothing more than mow is. Meanwhile it helps develop the technology so one day they can come up with something practical for the rest of us. I have no fear of electric tractors, just as I like my battery-powered tools. It's clean, quiet and, at least if you live where I do, relatively cheap.

When they come up with one that will run for six hours (or has a spare, easily changed battery pack) that will do what I need it to, I'll wait two or three generations for them to work out the bugs, then I'll consider it.

I could do without the George Jetson on acid design though.

I'm with the REV here, electric power and batteries etc, have come a long way in the last few years because of inovations like this, that will be funded by the wealthy feller who just "must have one".

The only thing I have to say about the company in question is I hope they finally are able to develop a hydrostatic transmisson that will last over a season at a time.

My opinion, George