• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • Member No: 48283
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Picked this up today. I don't know much about this tractor model. Had a rod through the block so need to find some power for it. Anyone know about this tractor? Is it worth putting a motor on? 

Thanks.....Bill.

Attached Thumbnails

• ac 916 no2.jpg
  • ac 916 hydro.jpg

• Alc and panzersarebest have said thanks

#2 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:20 PM

It is certainly worth putting in an engine if the BGB is tight and transmission good. Did the previous owner know if it ran ok before the engine went? In Oklahoma I don't know what is available but you could put in a vintage cast iron engine. It would be easiest with a K series Kohler or if you don't mind rewiring ( actually pretty simple) you could put in a Briggs & Stratton cast iron single. The Briggs seem to be a lot more available in many parts of the country. And wow, you have baby moons.

Edited by skunkhome, May 24, 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• catfisherokie said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yes, strong hydro's and strong everything else.  Decks mow great & good for laying down stripes with those rollers on rear of deck.  Very well worth putting in a replacement engine.

• catfisherokie and ACB112Guy have said thanks

#4 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:32 PM

That's good news! I have a Briggs 18hp twin I will see if I can wedge in it. It had a K341 in it according to the guy I got it from. Yes, full set of baby moons....lol. I always wondered how they did those stripes on yards and ballfields. That will be neat to do! Thanks for the replies!

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 12:13 AM

You will probably have to make some mounts to get the crank up high enough to connect with the propeller shaft.

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 06:44 AM

Very nice rig!  My preference in these are the opposed twins.  They offered the KT17 and KT19 in that rig, in addition to the single cylinder K series power plants.  It's a sweet machine!

#7 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:28 AM

Clean looking 916 you have there.  I have two of them and really like how strong they are. I sure hope the spindel bearings are good on the deck, when I got mine the bearings were froze up and the price they want for new ones is WAY more than I can afford so it still sits over in the corner.

If you can get your hands one a good running opposed twin that would for sure be the way to go with a repower, both of mine have the K341S single in them and a couple of weeks ago 1 of them threw the rod and broke the block, the other needs a total rebuild.

If I could find a good running opposed twin that is what I would put back in mine.

Good to see another Okie on the board.

#8 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Clean looking 916 you have there.  I have two of them and really like how strong they are. I sure hope the spindel bearings are good on the deck, when I got mine the bearings were froze up and the price they want for new ones is WAY more than I can afford so it still sits over in the corner.

If you can get your hands one a good running opposed twin that would for sure be the way to go with a repower, both of mine have the K341S single in them and a couple of weeks ago 1 of them threw the rod and broke the block, the other needs a total rebuild.

If I could find a good running opposed twin that is what I would put back in mine.

Good to see another Okie on the board.

I THINK the spindles are free. They all three move by hand a bit and put tension on the belt. Probably scream like a scalded dog when I engage them under power...lol. I have been researching the k341's a bit and it sounds like they have a tendancy blow. Several through the block failures. I am going to play around with this Briggs a bit and see if it will work. It is bought and paid for so why not. I will get the word out on an opposed twin Kohler in the meantime though. I got this tractor for a hundred bucks so I have some wiggle room on it. My nephew works at a big outdoor power supply place and they had a bunch of newer Cubs in the boneyard the other day. You want me to look for you one as well? Or two?...lol.

#9 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 05:05 PM

You bet I do, if you can find one I can afford I would jump on it.  Right now I have 2 916's and 1 716. I use them for tilling and plowing (work mules), I would like to get the mower deck fixed up some day if possible to mow with.

I am trying to repower more than one GT and almost everyone of them has a Kohler in it except for my baby Allis B110 which has a 10hp Briggs.

Those big opposed twins are the ticket for the repowers if you can get a good running one (or two or three :D )

#10 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 05:07 PM

The bearings probably will not squeal but they may rumble. They are not that expensive to replace bearings if you don't let them go too long and damage the spindles. Keep those nuts on the pulleys snugged down.

#11 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 06:24 PM

You bet I do, if you can find one I can afford I would jump on it.  Right now I have 2 916's and 1 716. I use them for tilling and plowing (work mules), I would like to get the mower deck fixed up some day if possible to mow with.

I am trying to repower more than one GT and almost everyone of them has a Kohler in it except for my baby Allis B110 which has a 10hp Briggs.

Those big opposed twins are the ticket for the repowers if you can get a good running one (or two or three :D )

I talked to my nephew and they have a pile of Kohler motors in various needs of repair. I will go by next week and get the skinny on everything. He thinks I should go with a Honda since I will be working this tractor and not restoring. He thinks they are bullet proof for the most part. Maybe others can chime in on these? I honestly don't know whats good and not. Maybe just preference. 

#12 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 07:17 PM

I would take a big Honda motor to :rocker2:  :smilewink:

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 07:26 PM

:iagree:  :ditto:  I also think the Honda would be a good choice. But if I were to run into a good Briggs Vanguard that would be my first choice. 

#14 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Cat,if your nephew happens to have a good K341 motor that has a good block I would be interested in that to repair the busted block.

Of course the opposed twins are what I want to do the repowers with if possible.

I am guessing that Honda makes a good opposed twin that has the same or similar way to bolt up the driveshaft from the 916??

Edited by victor3ranger, May 26, 2014 - 08:28 AM.