11 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:39 PM

So the replacement drive belt i got is an automotive belt, cost me like $40 and it is about 1 inch shorter.  I wasn't sure because the old belt was shot so i figured it may ahve stretched.  AFter installing the new belt i'm having a probem now where the clutch will not engage or stop the machine. Basically when you put it in gear it goes and the only way to stop is to slam it back down into neutral.  I double checking the belt routing and I did all of that correctly.  Could it be that the belt itself is not right or what do you guys think?   It mows and runs fine but it's kind of a pain not being able to stop it or slow it down by pressing in on the clutch.

thanks in advance guys.

#2 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Do you have the model number of the tractor?I would think that is an awful lot for a belt

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Do you have the original part number?

Automotive belts are not like most lawn and Garden belts, especially if they are a special size.....

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:28 PM

For some reason, Sears/Craftsman use an odd-half size belt. I think they expect you to buy from their parts department.

1 inch shorter is alot! The last one I replaced was only 1/2 inch different, but as you described, would not disengage with the clutch. It took the boy running around the yard almost a hour before it stretched enough to work correctly. That same belt is still on the machine after 3 summers mowing 3 acres. If you are unable to find the correct belt or one closer to the correct size, I would suggest finding an idler pulley that is a little smaller. Good luck.

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Auto belts can cause problems when using on a drive of a mower. You need a "fractional drive belt" or OEM belt to replace. Sounds like between it being too short and being a standard auto belt, it;s grabbing pulleys and not disengaging.

Sounds like you got a Gold mower like me too, mine is 15 Hp.

#6 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 03:55 PM

yeah it's the gold mower.  thanks for the tips guys.  this belt does not have quite as much of a V as the other belt, but it is a very good quality belt so i plan to keep using it.  I had one on a previous mower for years that held up much better than a craftsman or generic belt.  The clutch has already started engaging in 4th and 5th gear so I think once i get a good mow in it will start working properly.

#7 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Auto belts can cause problems when using on a drive of a mower. You need a "fractional drive belt" or OEM belt to replace. Sounds like between it being too short and being a standard auto belt, it;s grabbing pulleys and not disengaging.

Sounds like you got a Gold mower like me too, mine is 15 Hp.

what kind of problems can it cause?  i've run them on my murrays for years, they always seemed to last longer.

#8 AVB OFFLINE  

AVB
  • Member No: 45301
  • 138 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:19 PM

I had a problem with the belt having too much grip, and not letting the clutch disengage. The same problem you are describing. I swapped out the brand new Gates belt for an actual mower drive belt from TSC and that took care of it.

Edited by AVB, May 26, 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:53 PM

I had a problem with the belt having too much grip, and not letting the clutch disengage. The same problem you are describing. I swapped out the brand new Gates belt for and actual mower drive belt from TSC and that took care of it.

Yep, that's the problems I was talking about. 

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Yep, that's the problems I was talking about. 

:ditto:

Automotive belts are not designed for clutching drives.....

#11 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:19 AM

well since it's working for now i'm gonna stick it out and keep using it.  Do you thin it will cause any harm to use it?  My yard is huge so not having the clutch is ok, we've got 2 other mowers that we use for around the house and stuff, but having to mow 3 acres the clutch not disengaging.  really isn't forcing me to stop using it.  I will plan to get a belt in the future but right now have a john deere 214 project that is taking the main focus.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 09:19 AM

I had one on my ST16, it was on it when I got tractor, I've used it for 3 years, but it has worn to the point it wouldn't disengage the pulleys and I kept grinding gears. I replaced with a Kevlar belt designed for use on mower drives and it works like a charm now.

If it's working use it until you have to replace again