#61 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 02:46 PM

did some research on lapping valves. went and got some valve grinding compound at lunch. I forgot to get one of those sucton cup tools. I also need a set of feeler gauges.

#62 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 02:54 PM

I figure you downloaded the service manual, but to be sure, when you go to adjust the valves after installing, turn to TDC compression, then back up just a shade to disengage the auto compression release before adjusting clearance. This applies only to the exhaust valve.

#63 steroblan OFFLINE  

steroblan

• Member No: 2450
  • 24 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 11:27 PM

Sorry to join the thread so late. I am working on restoring the same Kohler 16hp engine in my Jacobsen UT34004. Same problem. Intermitent starting problem. My points were not making good continuity. Check it across the points when closed with the key on. Your video demonstrates that you do have sufficient compression to run. The engine would have minimal movement otherwise. I almost hope I'm wrong aftero your teardown LOL.

#64 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Saturday morning I went out and took out the exhaust valve, It was way easier to do than I had in my mind. Cleaned the block up a little more then dropped in the new valve and got it lapped. Hardest part about replacing the valve was getting those little retainers on.

Put the minimum amount of parts on and then test fired and SUCCESS! Finished reassembly and took it for a spin around the yard. Put a different battery on it, changed the oil to 30wt, and put the side panels back on.

Thanks everyone for your help. Feels good to have it going again.

#65 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:44 AM

:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap: :thumbs: Am I off the hook now? :rofl2:

#66 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Am I off the hook now? :rofl2:

Didn't see that the other day. Yeah your off the hook now. Anything else that is messed up is probably my doing.

drove it around more over the weekend, and loaded it down pulling a log. It ran great. One thing I have found is the exhaust seems to be louder now.

#67 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:06 AM

Didn't see that the other day. Yeah your off the hook now. Anything else that is messed up is probably my doing.

drove it around more over the weekend, and loaded it down pulling a log. It ran great. One thing I have found is the exhaust seems to be louder now.

The louder exhaust would be normal, now you are getting more compression. Glad it is running good for you now :thumbs:

#68 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:09 AM

The louder exhaust would be normal, now you are getting more compression. Glad it is running good for you now :thumbs:

That makes sense since it looked questionable on if the Head gasket was holding 100% along with the nasty valve.

That reminds me, I need to retorque the head bolts now that I have ran it some.

#69 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:24 AM

I doubt I will ever buy an aftermarket valve again. May just have been the carbon that was clearly on the valve face, but OE parts are still better.