#46 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:12 AM

I truly hate that you are having problems with the Ford....seriously. I wish you were closer, as I would do free labor without a doubt.....and without documentation! :thumbs:

Now I almost feel bad for harassing you. At the rate I have been working on things it might still be down when you pass thru on your way to KC.

#47 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:13 AM

i do believe Daniel has your problem figured out ! its defiantly your valves with a touch of gasket ! just from the cranking speed sounds like compression problem & pics with the head off almost verify that ! i think your on the downhill slope now!!! :wave:

I hope I am on the down hill slide. Going to call and see if my parts got in or if this winter storm slowed them down.

#48 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 11:21 AM

Now I almost feel bad for harassing you.

:bigrofl:

#49 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:18 PM

all parts are in except the new retainers. I guess if you mess up entering the number for the retainers you get a motor shipped to you (dealer mistake not me).

Retainers should be in on wednesday, going to go pick up everything else in a little bit.

#50 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 05:01 PM

my thought would be a weak or blown head gasket or weak fuel pump

#51 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Okay so I am finally going to get back on this project. It was very cold and uncomfortable when I was working it before, and not being able to fixed it made me not want to mess with for a while. But now that it is getting nice out, I need my tractors ready to work.

What should I used to clean this motor up? kerosene? carb cleaner?

#52 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:15 AM

kerosene? carb cleaner?

I guess you're meaning the outside? If so, first off I scrape as much crud off as I can manually. Then some kero to soak & break it loose. A good stiff parts brush will get the remaining crud. Then follow with some simple green, or other water based cleaner & hose off. No substitute for manual cleaning unless you have a dip tank setup when taking an engine down. With the milk parlor water, I have an advantage, as it's easy to do the last with HOT water from the parlor hose. The super hot water really does great on the final rinse.

#53 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 09:19 AM

I guess you're meaning the outside? If so, first off I scrape as much crud off as I can manually. Then some kero to soak & break it loose. A good stiff parts brush will get the remaining crud. Then follow with some simple green, or other water based cleaner & hose off. No substitute for manual cleaning unless you have a dip tank setup when taking an engine down. With the milk parlor water, I have an advantage, as it's easy to do the last with HOT water from the parlor hose. The super hot water really does great on the final rinse.

i am talking about clenaing the head and exhaust valve.

I already cleaned the outside, by scraping, and scrubbing with simple green.

#54 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:40 AM

I think carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner would help with loosening up the carbon. Along with an old toothbrush hat has stiffer brissels.

#55 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Daniel, I use the drain on my water heater and get my hot water, my water heater is in a closet accessible only from the outside, so it's easy to get to.

#56 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:31 AM

On valves, I just scrape them with a knife or other metal object, avoiding the sealing face. They're hard metal & hard to scratch even if you try. Once scraped, a wire wheel on grinder to finish the job. Heads are easy to scratch, so brake cleaner as George said, or steam if you have one of those little steam machines.

#57 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Finally messed with it some. Cleaned up around the valves and the head. Then I sprayed a little pool of carb cleaner around the exhaust valve and blew into the exhaust pipe and bubbles were coming out.

So at that point I pushed it from the barn to the shop so I could work on it more comfortably. Started tearing it down to replace the exhaust valve and clean everything up.
here are some pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I did call Daniel (olcowhand) to discuss whatI had found and had a real nice visit with him.

#58 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:44 AM

Glad to see ya working on it again. Looks like some carbon on the valve is keeping it from closing. A good lap job should fix it up.

#59 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Yep, the pics tell the tale. Definitely carbon stuk to the face of that valve. At least 2 spots of it, and that would definitely drop your compression to squat. When Chuck & I spoke on the phone, he said there was a thick layer of carbon on the head, so it's been running pretty rich to build it that quickly, as I had cleaned it spotless when I put the new valves in her. I can almost hear her running again already. Chuck will be swapping the aftermarket exhaust valve with an OE Kohler, so much better.

#60 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:48 AM

thanks guys. I am going to try and have it up and running by the end of the weekend.
Then I can bring the next tractor to the shop the needs worked on. The gt5000 needs the carb cleaned.