22 replies to this topic

#1 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:23 AM

On thursday afternoon there was a storm around Reading, about a half hour to the north of us. We only had rain and wind that day.

Looked like is snowed. They actually had snowplows out to clear roads. A lot of trees down and others with most of the leaves shredded.

The monster.

BoWdVPPCcAA5o1n.jpg

A friend had went into this area thursday evening not knowing about the storm. Most of the stores and restaurants were closed. He talked of piles of hail that were plowed off the parking lots. And glass everywhere. A lot of damaged vehicles.

Ok, most of the pics didnt work.

Edited by shorty, May 24, 2014 - 04:24 AM.

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:27 AM

BoRN4I7CAAAVZjU.jpg

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:44 AM

Our neighbor's daughter lives near there  , her  car has broken windows and dents all over it , the car is a few years old , I'm thinking it's going to be totaled by the insurance co.

• trowel, tinbender7 and shorty have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 04:56 AM

It was crazy, it was just one small area. It took out the skylights of a shopping mall. Sure was some weird weather. We were working about 70 miles to the west that day. And from lunchtime on it felt like a storm was coming. But we didn't see anything unusual anywhere.

• trowel and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:32 AM

Jeeze ! that's a whopper !!!! i hope no one was injured in this storm, odd for sure.

• tinbender7, shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:36 AM

I sure wouldn't want to be outside without cover of some kind.
Thanks for passing on the news, that's a weird weather phenom for sure.
  • tinbender7 and shorty have said thanks

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:40 AM

Blame it on "Global Warming". :deadhorse:

• MH81, tinbender7, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Now here is an interesting history peice. I was reading up on some family history lately. When our early family members came over from Switzerland, some of the things they dealt with here in eastern Pennsylvania. There was one year that they had frost every month of the year. One year they had snow right before the wheat harvest. This was possibly the same year. Another was a hail storm with hail the size of goose eggs. All the trees and crops were shredded. Most of the wild animals were killed also in this storm. There was little to live off of that year.

Now lately coming through another family's history, I am hearing the years 1814 and 1914. We are in 2014 and having some unusual weather for this area. Will it be continue through the summer?

• MH81, trowel, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:11 AM

I was looking at pics of the hail, stumbled on this one of the storm coming in.
Boy, that's an ugly looking sky.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• trowel, tinbender7, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Now here is an interesting history peice. I was reading up on some family history lately. When our early family members came over from Switzerland, some of the things they dealt with here in eastern Pennsylvania. There was one year that they had frost every month of the year. One year they had snow right before the wheat harvest. This was possibly the same year. Another was a hail storm with hail the size of goose eggs. All the trees and crops were shredded. Most of the wild animals were killed also in this storm. There was little to live off of that year.

Now lately coming through another family's history, I am hearing the years 1814 and 1914. We are in 2014 and having some unusual weather for this area. Will it be continue through the summer?

Im thinking yes, it seems everything works in cycles and we are in the tail end of another nasty one it seems.

#11 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Ours wasn't that big, this time!  10 years ago, almost to the day, our town had hail that size.  

Our storm was two weeks ago, contractor was here yesterday evening, $7500 to re-roof the house shop & shed, including some guttering & cladding the fascia on the house.  I'll be doing some other repairs myself; windows, painting, etc.  ~~  Lowell

• tinbender7, Cvans and shorty have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Man, that hail is enormous and looks like it would do some serious damage to whatever was in the way. I wouldn't want to be out walking in an area without shelter when that storm blew through. I've never seen anything like that here. If we get hail the size of a quarter that's big for us. The damage to glass alone must have been huge in $ terms. 

#13 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Kind of puts you in your place when you think of the power mother nature has, There was a bad storm here the other day, not 1/2 hour drive from me, hail that size and a tornado that leveled a house and destroyed lots of property.  You just never know

Pete

• shorty said thank you

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:22 AM

That was the summer that wasn't. There was widespread starvation in the northern hemisphere. It was caused by a volcano blowing up in asia in 1814. I believe it was called Tambour. It caused a mini iceage in the early 1800s. With the way the Pacific Rim of Fire keeps actimg these last 2 years, we may see something similar. Good Luck, Rick

• shorty said thank you

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:40 AM

Can you imagine being caught out in that on a motorcycle.  :(

• shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks