transmission fluid change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DownOnTheFarm OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57754
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have a 1983 MTD Yardman tractor.   I had to broken hose between the front opening on the hydraulic cyclinder and the pump assembly.   I put it all back together, refilled the transmission fluid to the correct level on the dipstick.   Waited to let the air bubbles rise to the top of the dipstick.

However, no fluid appears to have reached the hydraulic cyclinder.   All mechanic parts are working properly.   Moving the lift lever results in a few beads of transmission fluid coming out of the pump, but there is no fluid in the  cyclinder and none going into the hoses.    Can't figure out where it is blocked (if?).  If this is a closed system, where did all that fluid go that was put down thru the dipstick?

#2 VTXrider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 16031
  • 456 Thanks
  • 329 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi DOF and welcome to the forum. Trying to understand what the "beads of fluid coming out of the pump" means. We will try to help if possible.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Sometimes those systems need to be burped to get them moving. They get air locked and you don't get the correct amount of fluid in on the first try. Did you put the recommended amount of fluid in or just fill to a full mark? On some of the JDs you need to keep adding more fluid after running them a bit to really get them full. I'd re check the level after running it and add more fluid as required. It may take 3 or 4 times before it stabilizes. 

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to GTT. You can download a very big MTD manual from our Manuals Section. Good Luck,  Rick