• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sgp0511 OFFLINE  

sgp0511
  • Member No: 57739
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:34 AM

I am new here and i am looking for a good garden tractor to use primarily for mowing. A friend of mine has 2 garden tractors one is a Sears ST/16 model #917253060 and the other is a sears roper model #T6328CR. They both have good running engines, They have both been sitting for years. the st/16 has been stored under a roof and the roper has not, just in the field, other than the roper being a little more rusty and bad tires, they are about the same condition. He said i can take either one for $100. The only problem is neither of them has a deck, so i tried looking online for some and came up with nothing. Are these decks hard to find? what deck will interchange with these mowers? are there any good used tractor salvage yards with decent prices?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:58 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Welcome to the forum. Those are both nice tractors and would do much more than mow the lawn if you have the attachments. I'm sure someone wil be along to talk about availability of decks etc.

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Dude, for $100 a running tractor, buy them both cause when you get one, you will want another!!!!

Roper made all the GT's for Sears 66-79, came off same assembly line. The Ropers though, seem to be a little "higher end" IMO and I think most of them went for Export, mainly to Canada.

The Sears will have a single Tecumseh motor  OH160, I have 2 myself. The are good strong motors, but have their issues. A big one is Tecumseh is no longer in business so parts are no longer available, but there are ways around that.

They do have an issue with dropping valve seats, if the motor gets hot, it "can" drop a seat, usually the exhaust side. Keep the motor clean and all the fins clean of debris and run slight richer, usually not a problem. some guys have never seen , others get that "lemon". used head are usually on Ebay.

Another problem is the SSI ignition module over time they go bad. There are also NLA, ebay used one are ridiculously sky high, but there are fixes out there, most run around $150 using new day electronics.

Carbs can be an issue, but there are rebuild kits out there and pretty easy to do.

I would figure the Roper is a twin Onan, I personally would grab it just because that would be a powerhouse compared to the single Tec. Parts for the onan's can be expensive, but we have site sponsers that can usually get us good deals.

mower decks---- they have 2-3 different styles, and all will work if you have proper mounting brackets.  Easiest would be to look for the "stamped" looking deck, has rounded sides 73-79, the earlier ones were square/welded.

Yes, decks will swap directly beween the two.

Too bad you are not close to me, I know a guy who had a few decks for sale.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Welcome to GTT.  Availability of attachments is going to be a matter of where you are. I can pick up Simplicity and Bolens attachments pretty easilly here in NE CT but others are few and farther between. Good Luck, Rick.

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:39 AM

Older style with square deck, adjustment lever on left.

100_0475.jpg

Newer style, adjustment lever on right. They did make both 42" and 48" ,but he 48" is kind of hard to find.

100_0797.jpg

• tinbender7 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,797 Thanks
  • 2,196 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:05 AM

spg,  welcome  to GT Talk,

here is a great website all about sears http://vintagesearsgardentractors.com  they have a ton of info.  there are guys with decks for sale depending on where you live, on western side of Ct i have found them for around $100- 150 depending condition and completeness. if you don't have one , you will need the mule drive as well. the parts manuals will show you all about what and where.

and i agree with tahoe, go for the onan, parts are pricey but a beast!  Tom

#8 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:05 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#9 sgp0511 OFFLINE  

sgp0511
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:07 AM

thanks for the replies but ive been looking online and cant seem to find any decks for this thing. ebay has a few but their out of my price range-$200, does anyone know if there are any salvage yards in the dallas area?

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:16 AM

We have a couple members down your way, well, in Tx at least :D  One travels a lot, but I cannot volunteer his services.

if one can be found in an area he may travel too, maybe we can network and get one to you.

If I can round one up for ya, maybe under $100, Fastenal stores can ship store to store pretty cheap, maybe we can get one to you.

Edited by TAHOE, May 23, 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#11 sgp0511 OFFLINE  

sgp0511
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:23 AM

thanks tahoe, i would be interested but i would want the price first and all that, i plan on getting it in a few weeks when my paycheck comes in, but yes please let me know the specifics?

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:37 AM

I'll keep an eye out and see what I can dig up.

#13 sgp0511 OFFLINE  

sgp0511
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:46 AM

ok well i did some more searching and found a salvage yard in my area and they do have a deck for the st/16. so i think im gonna get the st/16, its overall better condition than the roper and i need to get this thing mowing asap, so just gotta wait on my pay check. Also on the tractor, i noticed there wasnt a key or even an ignition, just a hole, is there a way to hotwire this thing to start im assuming there is since my friend said it ran but i didnt have much time to really look at it. Also does anyone know the model # for the sears st/16 bc what i didnt realize is the model number i wrote down was for the 3 pt. hitch, not the tractor, and i dont plan on going out there again until i have the cash, but i would like to have the model number, does anyone know it?

#14 sgp0511 OFFLINE  

sgp0511
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 12:08 PM

what is that front pulley system with belt near the front axle for?

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 01:18 PM

ok well i did some more searching and found a salvage yard in my area and they do have a deck for the st/16. so i think im gonna get the st/16, its overall better condition than the roper and i need to get this thing mowing asap, so just gotta wait on my pay check. Also on the tractor, i noticed there wasnt a key or even an ignition, just a hole, is there a way to hotwire this thing to start im assuming there is since my friend said it ran but i didnt have much time to really look at it. Also does anyone know the model # for the sears st/16 bc what i didnt realize is the model number i wrote down was for the 3 pt. hitch, not the tractor, and i dont plan on going out there again until i have the cash, but i would like to have the model number, does anyone know it?

1. Make sure you get all the tractor brackets with the deck. There should be two up front and two in the back that bolt to tractor frame .

2. you must be very careful adding an ignition switch to this tractor. A generic switch is usually for a battery coil ignition, hooking it up wrong and you can fry the ignition module instantly. Let me do some searches in the next couple days, I know a guy just bought the correct switch from NAPA and he listed part number, just have to find it.

3. I thought that model # didn't look right.

If yours has the gas tank under the hood than it is a 73-74 model, you can use 917.25740 or

25743. '75 model would be 917.25870 with metal tank under seats , '76 is 917.25930 with plastic

tank under seat, in '77 they are called a 16/6 single  uses model 917.25170.

Other than the gas tanks, different dashes, they are all basically the same tractor.

what is that front pulley system with belt near the front axle for?

That is called the "mule drive" There is a little lever on the right side by footboard, it pushes the mule drive in/out to engage-disengage front belt driven implements. You can see in my pic of my blue tractor, the belt runs over the engine pulley twists down through the mule drive, then back to the mowing deck. Looks kind of complex, but it works well when adjusted properly.