#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:52 PM

So it mowing season again, and I like to have a nice looking, especially over the weekends. I alternate mowing directions each week so that the grass don't get used to laying the same way. Anyway, the house next door to the west of us, is broken into two apartments, one upstairs and one down. The downstairs tenants are nice and very friendly. Don't see them outside working much, but all in all they we get alone great. The upstairs tenant is a single girl, early thirties, and has a full grown chocolate lab. She is in charge of mowing the grass due to the downstairs tenant not wanting to clean up dog poop. The upstairs tenant likes to cut the grass, but will only do so about once every three weeks. Now you have an idea as to how the yard looks each week, especially with the walking fertilizer spreader. At times, the grass would be almost a foot high until the upstairs tenant finally decided to mow. They don't have a trimmer or weed eater, so needless to say, the grass along our chain link fence wouldn't get trimmed on their side.

All last year I put up with this, and it bugged me to no end. The downstairs tenant used to apologize to me for their yard looking so terrible. He'd always compliment me on the look and condition of my yard, then quickly start complaining about the girl upstairs not mowing each week. Claims he would cut it each week if it weren't for the dog crap. As for the upstairs tenant, she would complain about the downstairs tenant never mowing it. If the dog crap was the major issue, she says she would clean it all up before he would mow, but she personally thinks he is just lazy.

As far as I'm concerned, I really don't care who the fault falls on, or who's turn it is each week to mow. I know one thing, I won't have the grass growing halfway up the fence again this year. Tonight I cut our grass, and after standing back to admire it when I was finished, I couldn't help but look over at that side of the fence. My yard may look nice, but to me, it looks like crap with that high grass along the fence like that. So, I got my weed eater back out and went over and trimmed the fence myself. When I was done, I cleaned up all of the grass clippings, loaded it in a bucket, and dumped it all in my garden. 

Now my yard look nice!  :thumbs:

My wife thinks both the upstairs and downstairs neighbors will be offended, and thinks we might lose them as friends. She thinks that I really have guts for doing what I did, but I don't care at this point. What do you guys think? Was I wrong for taking matters into my own hands and doing it myself? Let me know your thoughts.

• hamman, tinbender7, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:54 PM

It's your chain link fence? I know at my last house my fence had to be 1 foot from the property line and I took care of both sides.
  • hamman, johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:58 PM

No, it's their landlords fence, and it's right on the property line. 

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:16 PM

I don't think you will offend them. If they really cared they would do it regularly. I presume it's part of their lease to mow. I take care of my property line on both sides. One side is a couple sisters , and they appreciate it. The other side he pays someone to mow and they don't trim. I think it makes my yard look better so I do it . M2CW. Tom
  • johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:17 PM

A few years ago my neighbors lost their house for whatever reason, we live in a fairly rural area and all the neighbors try to help each other out.  All of us were worried about the grass in the yard getting to tall and attracting bugs snakes and the like.  I talked to the neighbors and we all agreed I would mow it if they got the gas, sound god rite.

I went over one time and mowed the grass, just took the hi stuff down no trimming or anything.  The people that lost the house came back and &%&^^%  me out for cutting the grass in at the house they no longer owned.  Now the grass is 2' tall and no one ever goes over there and I certainly will not,  neighbors can be funny. Hopefully yours are ok.

Pete

• johndeereelfman, sacsr, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,632 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:03 PM

I know what I'd do. 

Since I work for a chemical company and get free glyphosate,  I'g go over about 2am and wet down the entire yard so NOTHING would grow

I'm somewhat vindictive.  :smilewink:

hint:

saltwater will kill all vegitation

Edited by Gtractor, May 22, 2014 - 09:22 PM.

• johndeereelfman, Cvans and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I would maybe talk with them about the situation and suggest a compromise.

A dose of roundup, a little landscape cloth and some nice, decorative pavers or stones and the problem is solved.

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:20 PM

You can't please everyone, so you may as well please yourself. But now that you have done it once, you may have to accept the idea that it will be your job until the tenants change, and that's really a small price to pay to have the place looking nice. MH81's idea is a good one as well, IMO.

• MH81, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:11 PM

If they decide to complain, tell them if they don't stop fussing, you will gladly send their landlord a bill. 

Or something like that.  Maybe that isn't a good idea...

Ben W.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:12 PM

I think that talking with them about it for 1 year, is enough. You did

the right thing. But, they may be expecting you to continue, and finish

the job now. You might as well start shopping for a poo flinging

mower, that you can leave in their yard when you're done every week.

• johndeereelfman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:34 AM

Maybe you will get lucky and they will feel ashamed of their lazyness and begin doing it themselves. Or, perhaps the landlord can keep his property up....I thought that is what Landlords do? Our neighbors retired early and bought several rental peoperties to manage for income. That guy is on a zero turn 2 days a week, all day, mowing his properties.
  • johndeereelfman and Cvans have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 05:41 AM

I'd contact the landlord and let him know your concerns. If he is OK with you trimming his side of the fence then you are good.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Maybe you will get lucky and they will feel ashamed of their lazyness and begin doing it themselves. Or, perhaps the landlord can keep his property up....I thought that is what Landlords do? Our neighbors retired early and bought several rental peoperties to manage for income. That guy is on a zero turn 2 days a week, all day, mowing his properties.

Retired, bought other houses so he could run around and fix them / be out of his own home, mows those twice as often as he does his own home... MAN, he must really want to spend less time at home. Talk about your retired spouse syndrome. :poke:
I'm just kidding, I will want to be the same way when (if) I ever retire.

#14 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:23 AM

I mow and trim the property north of me and have been doing so for the last six or seven years after the owners moved out.  I also park my travel trailer in their drive way.  The owners and my wife and I have been friends since the 1970s though.  Plus who doesn't enjoy a little more seat time.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:35 AM

I feel your pain. We got a goodd neighbor as he is quite, never see him, but he does not do his own lawn. He has had my son cut it for 2 yrs now, but only we he has the money. My son learned last yr real quick about cutting it without pre-payment, he never got paid so now he only cuts it when the guy brings over money. Bad part is, he works part time installing pools so money is scarce for him sometimes. My son has only cut twice this year, hay field both times.

Our fence line is covered with grass too. I weed eat, then spray round up on fence line. Yea, looks bad, but I don't have time to keep it weeded every 2nd cutting or so.

He never drops/sprays weed killer or fertilizer, it's a constant battle trying to keep his dandelions outta my yard.