#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 03:38 PM

My 990 had rear wheels that looked like on backwards. Hubs also had nuts and didn't have the center hole for support.  SO, I bought some older cast ones off epayl They came and went out to install today. Old ones came off easy, new ones on easy. Slipped wheel back on and Wala! not change! Hmmm. Then noticed mine had nuts on studs at the hubs and new hubs need bolts.  MUST be the WHEELS that are different and offset diff or ???  Now, not sure I wanna look for diff wheels or just turn mine back around again and look at ugly side?  Another waste of money on a "dream" that didn't turn out. Might just put the reg ones back on and forget it. Maybe I'll look at reversing hubs, but would be awkward to mount wheels on first and have hub showing outside, so maybe not??

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:46 PM

Grumpy, could you put some wheel weights on it and then you won't be able to see the wheel at all, ugly side or not. 

• MH81 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Or possibly find some hubcaps that would fit?

#4 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:40 AM

I don't think there is a problem GL. The newer wheels were made to be reversible for a wider stance. They just bolt up to the flat hub plate. Sometimes the nuts on the back of the hub plate break or strip out. I just drill it larger and through bolt them.

Are you having some other problem you are trying to fix?

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 02:37 PM

vtx, even when in close they are pretty wide and as noted looks like back or ugly side of rims show out, like you have them backwards.  When I turn around to way I like them to look in center, they are WAY out, almost not under fender at all! Wide set-up just makes it take more room to park and might rub on things  if not real aware while driving. I should get a pix or two to show what I'm saying. Wouldn't mind if the Ugly side of wheel was shown when way out, then it would be fine when on narrower and look right. I've had others of these and never noticed this much diff on wheel position.

#6 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:07 PM

You are right about hitting or scrubbing things with the wheels, trees take a hit as does the garage when plowing. Wide stance is for mowing or hauling more safely.

I taped off the tires on mine and painted the ugly side.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:27 PM

GL, the hubs are made to move in and out on the axle shafts to adjust the track width. If you're saying the wheels look like they stick out too far when reversed, is it possible the hubs are slid out on the axles? They basically are almost touching the axle housing when moved in to the narrowest setting.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Cana....I'm not seeing much room to move in/out. This one has a big nut on outside of axle to crank down, the others I had, don't recall it had that, not sure?  Think I could bolt on to wheel and put whole hub on backwards, but not sure what look that would have. Here's a shot of the Ugly site of wheel on it now. Seems almost like the center was welded in backwards, sheesh!

Attached Thumbnails

• Wheels and Horse and blade 2014-05-23 002.jpg

#9 Pricetag30 OFFLINE  

Pricetag30
  • Member No: 56202
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 09:39 PM

I have what I think is a fourteen hundred wizard or mtd 960.How can I post a picture?

#10 Pricetag30 OFFLINE  

Pricetag30
  • Member No: 56202
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Can anyone tell me what lawn tractor I have?i think it's a MTD 960 not sure.

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Reversable rims??, if you look at the stud holes I think you'll find they are countersunk one way only, I have four differant brands of tractors in the shop, including an MTD 960, and none of the rims are reversable, they would fit backwards but tightening the lug bolts/nuts that way would not be good for the rims or the wheel studs. If the rims are not countersunk for the studs then I wouldn't think they are the original rims.

#12 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Can anyone tell me what lawn tractor I have?i think it's a MTD 960 not sure.

Hi PT30. Welcome to the forum.

For a better response, it would be better if you started a new post and post some pictures.

Use the "More Reply Options" button you see at the right side of the reply box. Scroll down and you will fine where to "attach files".

Your pictures are best if the size is about 1200 X 900.