• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Will, what brand is your winch?

Sorry, can't recall that.

I bet they all come out of the same plant in China, if the look the same.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:23 AM

I have a hand cranked winch mounted on my Cox 4' x 8' trailer. I bought it from Cummins for $15 about 12 years ago. It has loaded more than 40 dead tractors and held down dozens of loads. I it cover it with a plastic bag and spray it with WD40 when I think of it and It has not failed me. One change that I have considered that might improve it will be to raise the level of the winch. It is level with the deck but sometimes it would be handier if it was a foot higher. But, then it wouldn't be good for holding down loads.

I picked up a new condition but rather old,  American made hand winch at a swap meet last year for $10. It will replace the current one when its shot. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:09 AM

I have 3-2000# HB winches, two are used on tractor/ATV for blade/dump bucket lifts, other is still on bench waiting for next project. I have had no issues outta either one other than a little float down if I overload. That oucle b lose calbe just tightening too. 

The HB 12K# winch was rated one of the best values on the market in winches.

I have pulled many a tractor and autos/trucks up on my flatbed using a 1/2 ton rated manual "come along" and a chain. While I was pulling well over the rated max, I was pulling rolling weight most of the time even with flat tires, it's not a dead 1000#'s or even

6K #'s like a truck.

I think a big key for longevity for any brand electric winch on a trailer would be a cover, keep the water out of it.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:39 AM

I think a big key for longevity for any brand electric winch on a trailer would be a cover, keep the water out of it.

That's not a problem.  I had my old winch set up to where all I had to do was pin it onto the trailer rail when needed.  Otherwise it stayed in the trailer box.  I plan to set the new one up the same way.  I don't like anything to sit out in the elements.  Guess that comes from living in the rust belt.

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 01:22 PM

I picked up one of these on sale, 3 or 4 years ago, for about $80.

It hasn't let me down, and what I like is the fact it's portable. I

keep a 6 ft piece if 1/4" chain and a couple of shackles with it, and

secure it to whatever I need to.

attachicon.gif31382_elcWinch.jpg

Will I used the very same one to pull an old Lincoln Town car up on my car hauler trailer and it grunted pretty hard, but pulled it up on the trailer anyway. I have used it several times on pretty heavy GT's with no issues at all!! I got mine from Harbor Freight on sale with a coupon for $39.00 if I remember right.

One of the best buys I've ever made on something like this.

• Alc, IamSherwood and David Brown have said thanks

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Sorry, can't recall that.

I bet they all come out of the same plant in China, if the look the same.

Here is mine that I posted about, it's just like Will's.

IMG_20140523_132337_738.jpg IMG_20140523_132351_222.jpg IMG_20140523_132428_914.jpg

• David Brown said thank you

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Another factor would be to make sure your wire is properly sized for the load and the distance from the battery.

• David Brown said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:40 PM

http://www.superatv....-P1226C181.aspx

I had one of these on my last rzr. It would pull like a horse. I could tie the winch up in a tree and hang the rzr off the ground.

189 bucks. Remote control. Good nylon rope. It's a very nice unit for the price

More expensive than the harbor freight winch but it will pull a chain of tractors up without fear of breaking it.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 23, 2014 - 09:16 PM.

• MH81, David Brown and Sawdust have said thanks

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Well I'm considering this one.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Kenny, how fast is your winch?  The price is right on this for all the more use it will see.  I like the fact it has 50 feet of aircraft grade cable (enables me to double up if needed) and a wireless remote.

I got the same one Jeff back in the fall for $50. HB has them on sale regularly. Right now they have a 20% off on one item online coupon. I haven't hooked mine up yet but will soon. I figured for that kind of money it was worth a try. A friend of mine has had one on his trailer for five years open to the elements & still works fine.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:05 AM

Kenny, how fast is your winch?  The price is right on this for all the more use it will see.  I like the fact it has 50 feet of aircraft grade cable (enables me to double up if needed) and a wireless remote.

How in the world are they selling that for $80? It reads really well & has a single brake for the incline stops.
Two things, not sure if they're bad things or not.
The remote is "up to 20'". Which tells me 15 reliably. How long is your trailer with the ramps down?
What is the diameter of the wire rope? If it gets snarled, is it a size that could be replaced?

#26 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 06:59 AM

Well I went ahead and bought this one.  We'll see what happens.  Hope for the best.

#27 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Good info! I took the leap and bought one as well. If it works, my back will greatly appreciate it! I want to figure a way to be able to use it on both of my trailers....so anyone has a good way to make it portable let me know......heck I wait long enough, Jeff will have used his PA hillbilly ingenuity and posted it on the site. :thumbs:  (not to be confused with us GA rednecks ingenuity :D )

• HDWildBill said thank you

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Good info! I took the leap and bought one as well. If it works, my back will greatly appreciate it! I want to figure a way to be able to use it on both of my trailers....so anyone has a good way to make it portable let me know......heck I wait long enough, Jeff will have used his PA hillbilly ingenuity and posted it on the site. :thumbs:  (not to be confused with us GA rednecks ingenuity :D )

I already have that taken care of.  Once I am sure it works with the new winch, I'll post some pics.

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks