Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trailer Winch, Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 01:22 PM

I want to put an good winch on my trailer to pick up dead tractors like the Allis that I have to pick up.  I don't want to put a ton of money into this as I only use them every now and then.  I've had a couple of hand crank winches that basically broke the first or second time I used them (teeth stripped out).  It's not like these little tractors weight a ton but the old back doesn't care for lifting and pushing them quite so much anymore.  I don't need an electric one but, if the price was right, I would be ok with it.  I've seen many for under $100 which is where I want to be but I'm afraid they would meet the same fate.  This should be a no-brainer but with everything being made so cheaply, you really have to be careful.  So, what do you guys use?  Before you say "my boys" let me tell you that I had girls and work solo 100% of the time.

• hamman, sacsr, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,856 Thanks
  • 29,259 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 02:23 PM

Jeff,
There are two schools on this IMHO.. Cheap and a little better.
Are you ever going to do anything bigger than the GT's?

If you want to buy one that will last a long time, things to look for are the weight, the size and quality of the cables and pendant, and you will also want stainless cable. Aircraft cable doesn't snag as easy, seems to produce less splinters and lasts longer before rusting. It also seems to be less brittle or more flexible.

Look for one with a long enough remote. If you have to be at the front of the trailer and pushing a button, and there is an issue at the rear... Well, that requires cloning.

And lastly, get one that has cable has more than three times the length of the trailer. Sometimes, you have something heavy and you need to double the pull force with a snatch block, but then the cable is to short to get to the end the ramps.
  • Alc, GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,761 Thanks
  • 1,119 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 03:45 PM

I bought a cheap $80 winch and it was a piece of junk,waste of money and pitched it in the scrap heap.Found a super winch on sale at farm and fleet for about $225 with stainless cable and a long cord for the switch.mounted on the trailer and used a cheap GT battery for power,works great.

NOTE=== Many of the cheap winchs use a somewhat deceiving way of rating there winchs such as 3000 lb rolling weight on level surface,heck I can push 3000lbs on a level surface,BUT the rating drops like a rock when you add in the incline and they become all most useless.

To me the honest way to rate a winch is lifting weight,But most wount tell you that I think because their winchs are not safe to use for lifting prehaps because of the lack of a proper braking and holding system.

ONE more thing and this is true for all winchs--as more cable gets wraped on the spool the pulling weight will go down because it's futher from the spool axle where the torque is the greatest.

Well thats my 2 cents worth.--------------Bill

• MH81, David Brown, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,001 Thanks
  • 2,327 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:21 PM

I bought a cheap harbor freight winch years ago, I put it on my car trailer and have been using it since.  I have pulled some horrendous loads up onto the trailer, it is an 8000lb winch and I have pulled way more than that with it, the biggest thing I have found is that you need to keep the winch covered at all times, I made a bolted on metal cover for the winch.

As for a winch being rated for overhead lifting, none of them are rated for over head lifting.  for overhead lifting you need massive brakes and at least two redundant safety locks for stopping the load, a winch for dragging is exactly that. used for dragging and not holding the load in place, they will hold the load but they are not intended for that.  If you take apart most standard winches there are not even brakes in them, most of the time the only holding power is in the gear reduction mechanism.

Look around and check the reviews of them, that will give you a good idea of what they are and weather they are worth it, the name brand ones are expensive and in my mind over priced.  Good luck and take your time, better to take awhile and get the rite one than to buy the first one you find then hate it.

Pete 

• MH81, David Brown, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Petrj6 has it correct.

I have 3 Superwinch 2000Lb utility winches.

I,ve abused the hell out of them, but they still keep pulling.

I have 1 on my workbench for pulling stuff up on to the table. Never had a problem in that regard. I've used it to pull a froze solid 850lb GT with 4 frozen flat tires onto a trailer. It worked fine.

I have one on the front of my LGT100 for lifting the blade, and as a pulling winch when required. It pulled my Safari van out of a good sized ice rut last winter.

I have a third that I haven't even taken out of the box yet. It will probably be a tugging winch for the back of one of the tractors.

The cables are cheap and a bit small, and the remote isn't as long as I'd like, but for the price I paid, I love them both. When the cables fail, I'll put on larger cable, and if I need a longer remote, its easy enough to splice in a couple of wires.

They are cheap Chinese winches, with cheap cable and no brake. I paid $50.oo each for the first two, and got the third on sale for 25.00.

Another option which worked for me some years ago, is to pick up a used winch and fix whatever needs fixing.

I bought a 9000# Warn winch for a 4x4 I had years ago. It cost me 150.00 and two Ford starter solenoids for the relay box. I used it for years pulling people out of the mud.

• MH81, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,761 Thanks
  • 1,119 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 06:38 PM

I bought a cheap harbor freight winch years ago, I put it on my car trailer and have been using it since.  I have pulled some horrendous loads up onto the trailer, it is an 8000lb winch and I have pulled way more than that with it, the biggest thing I have found is that you need to keep the winch covered at all times, I made a bolted on metal cover for the winch.

As for a winch being rated for overhead lifting, none of them are rated for over head lifting.  for overhead lifting you need massive brakes and at least two redundant safety locks for stopping the load, a winch for dragging is exactly that. used for dragging and not holding the load in place, they will hold the load but they are not intended for that.  If you take apart most standard winches there are not even brakes in them, most of the time the only holding power is in the gear reduction mechanism.

Look around and check the reviews of them, that will give you a good idea of what they are and weather they are worth it, the name brand ones are expensive and in my mind over priced.  Good luck and take your time, better to take awhile and get the rite one than to buy the first one you find then hate it.

Pete 

You are correct that winchs are not rated for overhead loads and they are not to be used for overhead lifting and they are  to be used for pulling only---my point was that IMO some makers can fudge the pulling and to me the only fair way to rate them would be a dead weight lift.

• MH81, David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:02 PM

I picked up one of these on sale, 3 or 4 years ago, for about $80.

It hasn't let me down, and what I like is the fact it's portable. I

keep a 6 ft piece if 1/4" chain and a couple of shackles with it, and

secure it to whatever I need to.

31382_elcWinch.jpg

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:34 PM

I picked up one of these on sale, 3 or 4 years ago, for about $80.

It hasn't let me down, and what I like is the fact it's portable. I

keep a 6 ft piece if 1/4" chain and a couple of shackles with it, and

secure it to whatever I need to.

attachicon.gif31382_elcWinch.jpg

This is what I keep going back to but I just wasn't sure how good they are.  If it can pull a dead GT with flat tires up onto a trailer, I'm sold.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Back in Feb. I pulled this one up onto my trailer. Fronts where flat, it

was loaded with snow, and the deck was dragging. I had to give it a nudge

every now and then, but I can't complain about what the winch did.

Nice thing was, that I couldn't get the trailer backed around and lined up, so

I brought the GT to the trailer using the winch chained to the back of the trailer.

DSCF0365.JPG

• MH81, Alc, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,069 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I had two cheap 2000 lb winches and the first one lasted a long time and the second one did not.They were lacking some in power on the heaviest gt's.I just picked up a 2500 lb Super winch but now I have to deal with relays.

I was just miles from your house just hours ago using a 10,000 lb winch to load a Waldon loader that I picked up.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,951 Thanks
  • 8,655 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:53 PM

I bought an HF strap winch a couple of years ago and mounted it to a 1/2 "T" shape plate.  I use it to load dead tractors not only on my trailer but I then take it in to the shop and pull them up on to the table so I can work on them.  I mounted the winch to the bottom of the "T" and use 2 C-clamps to mount it to the trailer frame or table.  That thing so far has pulled quite a few dead GT's and a few other things up.  Sure make my back feel better.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:27 AM

Back in Feb. I pulled this one up onto my trailer. Fronts where flat, it

was loaded with snow, and the deck was dragging. I had to give it a nudge

every now and then, but I can't complain about what the winch did.

Nice thing was, that I couldn't get the trailer backed around and lined up, so

I brought the GT to the trailer using the winch chained to the back of the trailer.

attachicon.gifDSCF0365.JPG

Will, what brand is your winch?

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,161 Thanks
  • 41,992 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:35 AM

I have this one mounted to my trailer in a box I built.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Well I'm considering this one.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Kenny, how fast is your winch?  The price is right on this for all the more use it will see.  I like the fact it has 50 feet of aircraft grade cable (enables me to double up if needed) and a wireless remote.

Edited by David Brown, May 23, 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,161 Thanks
  • 41,992 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Well I'm considering this one.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Kenny, how fast is your winch?  The price is right on this for all the more use it will see.  I like the fact it has 50 feet of aircraft grade cable (enables me to double up if needed) and a wireless remote.

It's not real fast, typical winch speed. It's overkill for Gt's, but I may need it for other things also! I used it to load both the BH's I picked up for Brian in Missouri and it had no problem loading one with flat tires!

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks