Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Career Change Or Retired? I Am Clue Less?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Will have to check it out. My understanding is that after 59 1/2 there are no penalties. Just have to pay the taxes.
Looks like my income will be down enough it should not hurt me.

#32 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Will have to check it out. My understanding is that after 59 1/2 there are no penalties. Just have to pay the taxes.
Looks like my income will be down enough it should not hurt me.

That is correct. 

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 05:52 AM

I mentioned in this thread about the 57 year old guy here at work  having cancer and that he would not make it to 2015 let alone retire , I'll be going to his viewing tonight ,  We can only pray and count our blessings , enjoy every day we have on this earth with friends & family .   

• boyscout862 said thank you

#34 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 06:23 AM

My mom and I closed our upholstery shop after 37 years in business, I would have done it years earlier but for her. She has health issues, but not terrible for 91, and has come to live with us, she wants to do more but can't, I want to do less but can't! :D  My best friend owns a car dealership and is training me to be the service manager, I'll be 62 in August. I think it's a good fit.

Edited by toppop52, June 03, 2014 - 06:24 AM.

• GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#35 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 08:27 AM

TOPPOP52

I worked for a Ford dealership in 1969 when I graduated from HS. I don't want to scare you but, the Service Manager position can be high stress and aggrivation. Be carefull. He is caught between the owner, mechanics, and customer. Our manager needed to take breaks away from it during the day. Just pace yourself for the long run. You may find this job enjoyable depending on your personality.

I had a job where I was pulled in 4 directions. It felt so good to leave it. It had made the Army look like a breeze. At a subsequent job interview I was asked what had been my favorite job in the last 40 years. Not thinking about political correctness, I truthfully answered " as a Combat Engineer Platoon Leader". The women on the panel looked horrified. I didn't get the job but it is funny how we all handle things differently and find satisfaction in funny places.

I hope that it all works out well for you. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 04, 2014 - 11:18 AM.

• HDWildBill and toppop52 have said thanks

#36 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted June 05, 2014 - 06:31 AM

I worked at dealerships when I was young, as a body man so I understand, but this is a small family owned affair with 4 techs.