Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Career Change Or Retired? I Am Clue Less?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:14 PM

My doctors nurse told me when I was 56 that I should retire if at all possible. She said they see so many people work until later in life only to die shortly after retirement. The Plant closed in 2008 and I was 57 with 31 years there and luckily able to retire. I can honestly say the last 6 years have been great. I was really sweating it but the Wife said to me that I should retire and she would like to go back to work. She didn't have to make that offer twice.  :D  

If there is anyway you can retire, DO IT!!!!!! It will take you time to adjust but then it is all smiles.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:42 PM

I'm really surprised to see how many of us were pushed into retirement by layoff, companies closing etc.  I think Chris is right in that it will take you a bit to figure out and settle into your new life but it is so much better then punching a time clock.  It is nice to be able to set my own schedule and basically work when I want to.  Very seldom do I get out to the shop before 11 or 12 noon.  I like taking my time in the morning having my coffee and checking out what has been going on here and on a few other sites.  Might as well enjoy it while you can.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:31 AM

I found that 8 months after I was laid off I woke up and realized that for the first time in decades, I was not in pain. I worked in heavy construction and usually my back or something ached. Taking it easy and not getting up at 0430 allowed me to heal. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, hamman, JD DANNELS and 2 others have said thanks

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 05:51 AM

I've been here for almost 31years and my job is slowly disappearing. I'm planning to leave at the end of the year. Luckily, I was in a very good pension plan, so I can leave with a pension at the age of 54. It seems really early to leave but after 31 years of solving equipment problems with little support from management and working alone, I am ready, really ready, for a break. I don't know what I will want to do after I get a break but I'm sure something will come up. It's a hard decision but I  just need to get away from the place.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#20 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Retire if you can afford it!  You can always pick up some "odd jobs" if you want!

I pulled my pension at 55, 7 years ago, signed up for SS at 62 (used internet signup).  I can always find plenty to do!  ~~  Lowell

• hamman, JD DANNELS, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:48 AM

I started reading this thread from the start but wasn't sure what to say but I'll try . A fellow at work 57 years old was just sent home this week from the hospital ,cancer spreading throughout his body it started last year . He won't see 2015 let alone retire . As far as health you don't know the cards you were delt . Lots of people enjoy their jobs its not work to them that's great . Retiring might not be on their minds . I'm looking foward to some day retire , when , I don't know . I do know one thing . You can't buy time no matter how much you have saved
  • DougT, hamman, JD DANNELS and 6 others have said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:06 AM

I started reading this thread from the start but wasn't sure what to say but I'll try . A fellow at work 57 years old was just sent home this week from the hospital ,cancer spreading throughout his body it started last year . He won't see 2015 let alone retire . As far as health you don't know the cards you were delt . Lots of people enjoy their jobs its not work to them that's great . Retiring might not be on their minds . I'm looking foward to some day retire , when , I don't know . I do know one thing . You can't buy time no matter how much you have saved

I agree 100%.  Our health can change in an instant.  It doesn't matter what age you are.

A really good friend of mine that I started my career with, we both started the same day, Sept 13 2003.  We worked closely together from then till 2008 when he took a transfer and promotion at a different location.  We spoke regularly through email, and phone calls.  He was 2 years older than me.  I called him on his 30th birthday in the afternoon and his wife answered his cell phone.  I told her I was calling to wish him a happy birthday.  And she started crying.  That morning he got up early, ate breakfast, went out to tinker in the garage.  She left for work he was working on a project, she came home 8 hours later and he was dead on the garage floor.  Massive heart attack.  He was not a smoker, not a drinker, in reasonable shape.

We never know when or where we will go.  Enjoy your life, and if you can retire now, GO FOR IT!

• Alc, hamman, JD DANNELS and 3 others have said thanks

#23 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:39 AM

I walked away from my job in June 2011 and went on social security after retiring from the Army in March 1989.  The wife turns 62 in January 2015 and will retire then.  I opened a Small engine repair shop last year but after having to pay a $55 "fine" for not filing a report on unemployment insurance, since I didn't have employees, I closed down the shop a few months ago.  Now I just do the same work on the side although my doctor keeps telling me to stop because of my arthritis.

Being retired takes awhile to get used to and I figure I will get the hang of it in another 25 years or so.

• olcowhand, Alc, JD DANNELS and 2 others have said thanks

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Sorry to hear you are forced into it, but sounds like you will be able to either work or live on SS.

My father both retired and was laid off 2 different times. He retired at 58yrs old from his maintanence job and worked in home improvement/remodling. They asked him back 2 yrs later and he worked until they layed everyone off when dad was 75 yrs old. he was very uspet, but we tried to tell him at 75, he needed to retire, he had worked full time since he was 15.

in 2009, 38 people at my work got letters they were canned, eliminated 3 depts. One guy was 63 yrs old. I tried to tell him to take SS, but he wanted to hold out until he was 65 so he could earn the full amount. We tried to tell him he would never live long enough to recover those lost 2 yrs of earnings -vs- waiting to get full pay. He lived off the severence and unemployment, turn 65 in May and died that Dec. He never got to enjoy.

Take what you can and enjoy life!!!

• Alc, GTTinkerer, JD DANNELS and 2 others have said thanks

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Your right Al!! I used to think I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof Even though I was 5 ft 8 and weighed 170 lbs.
Worked a full time job and a part time job at Walmart in the sporting goods department.
About 7 yrs ago I wound up in the hospital and almost ended it right there.
They diagnosed me with Idiopathic Congestive Heart failure. Taking 6 pills a day I get along pretty good now.
Heck I spent 4 hrs yesterday in the hot sun pushing a 21 inch mower on my other property ( I need a trailer my gt will fit on)
I just have to take heed of what my body is telling me and pace myself.
I got a second chance and remind myself every day not to waste it.
  • Alc, GTTinkerer, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:08 PM

I'll just say that IF ever I get the chance to retire from full time dairy farming, I'll take it!  I have no desire to sell the farm, but dairy is intense.  So JD, if you can swing it, I'd retire!  Part time work may be all you need, and I'd say you could stay as busy as you'd like.

Enjoy more time with Family if you can!

• Alc, GTTinkerer, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#27 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hang in there!! I started with the last employer at 36 (another layoff from the previous employer) and was with them for 28 yrs.
Lost a home in 2010 and had to buy another home. If I cash in my 401K and pay off all bills but the mortgage I think I can make it.
I am not going to let this depress me! Keep a positive attitude and everything works out, I have learned that in my life so far.

Be real careful on what you do with your 401K. Taxes and penelties will eat most of the money.

Had a co-worked cash in his wifes 401K to pay off a bunch of debts.

The $20,000 debts he paid off will cost him over $50,000 when all said & done!

• Cvans said thank you

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:35 PM

I'll just say that IF ever I get the chance to retire from full time dairy farming, I'll take it!  I have no desire to sell the farm, but dairy is intense.  So JD, if you can swing it, I'd retire!  Part time work may be all you need, and I'd say you could stay as busy as you'd like.
  Enjoy more time with Family if you can!

Yeah the wifes uncle did dairy and hogs till the farm was paid for. AS soon as the farm was paid for all the cows annd hogs got so old off. He only kept 50 stock cows and grain farming. On top of that he started doing custom combining and lived well.
  • Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#29 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Very seldom do I get out to the shop before 11 or 12 noon.

You sound just like me. I have never been a morning person but think nothing of working until 10 at night. I'm also one who seldom gets outside before noon and once out there will only take a break when I'm starving. I was usually the last one to arrive at work and the last to leave. This worked out good as I could make the rounds again after productions had ended for the day. 

Still don't get to bed much before midnight and 1 in the morning and get up around 9 in the morning. 

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#30 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Look into a hardship withdrawal from your 401k

I've heard of this being done if you can prove it's a hardship and the taxes are decreased or lowered. I HAVE NO IDEA if this is fact. Just things I've heard.

May be worth doing some reading on.
  • Cvans said thank you