Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Career Change Or Retired? I Am Clue Less?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Last Thursday I got told I was being laid off after 28 yrs on the job.
At this point whether I am unemployed or retired?

Going to get the papers in order to go on social security and start looking for another job.
I was getting tired of driving 43 miles each way everyday so will be looking for something closer to home.
  • grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 9 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Putting in SS was the easiest thing I think I have ever done.  Just called them up answered a few questions to Id my self told them I wanted to retire and that was it. A month later I was drawing SS.  If you are under 65 you can only earn like 14K a year before getting penalized but 65 and older you can make 40K. 

• hamman, JD DANNELS, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 12:06 PM

I was put in retirement the same way. It does work out and I am still here after 6 years.

Edited by tinbender7, May 22, 2014 - 02:22 PM.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Sorry to hear it. The same thing happened to me 3 years ago on June 1. You can collect SS and unemployment while you look for a job. I collected UEI and when I turned 60 my Army Reserve Retirement kicked in. At 62 I started SS and I have given up entirely on finding another job. Retirement is nice if you can afford it. I'm enjoying it but the boss lets me have less time for my projects.

If your UEI runs out but you need money, look at a self employed option such as farming, tractor repair, handyman, landscaping, and any of dozens of other opportunities. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, JD DANNELS, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 12:30 PM

I was put in retirement the same way. It does work our and I am still here after 6 years.

It seems quite a few of us ended up retiring the same way.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 02:12 PM

In 2008 just before Christmas I found out I had Prostate Cancer, my employer of 18yrs said take your time we aren't going anywhere. After starting treatment for the cancer I was at work one day in March the next year, when one of my customers came in and said " sorry to hear that you guys are closing up "........I asked him what he meant and he said he had just received a fax and that Friday would be the last day of operation after 116 yrs in business. That's how I found out I was retired. I was near 62 then and I was eligble for UEI and then SS. I ran out my 24 months of UEI and started collecting SS along the way. I never did find another job either. I sometimes feel guilty about it but I get over it. I have always worked for what I wanted and needed. Never liked not working. Hated the near 65 mile round trip to and from work. Don't miss that but I miss the people I had as customers and friends. As was said a lot of us found out that way.  Hang in there retirement can be fun. You just have to adjust your amount of spending and traveling as you go along.   Good Luck.                                                     Roger. 

• JD DANNELS, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 03:57 PM

I just wish I could look forward to retirement.

I started life over again at age 38, and now I have $600 a month house payments until I am 70 years old.

• hamman and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:14 PM

If you can do it RETIRE--life is short,enjoy what ya got left.One of the best things I did,The only time clock I punch is my own.My doctor told me to just keep busy do something.If your like me you got a 30 year list of things to do.and your wife has or will have a list also.

I like doing side jobs for cash or free for friends and learing something new every day.

I have had friends that just sat on their cans in front of the TV and slowly rotted away and died young.

Keep your body and mind busy,its good for your well being--good luck and enjoy your next 30 years.

Bill

• GTTinkerer, hamman, JD DANNELS and 5 others have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:22 PM

My dad was forced to retire way early.  Health issues, ect at 50.  He luckily had enough money to be able to do it, but he really hates it.  He wants to go back to work badly, but can not find a job.

• hamman, JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:42 PM

R E T I R E    ???????  What is that? Never heard of it?  I am 30, my daughter is 9, I have at least 30 more years to go before I can retire.  My advise is to retire while you can still enjoy life.  Find something you like to do and stick with it, maybe work part time if you get bored but enjoy yourself while you can

Pete

• hamman, JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 05:55 PM

I did put in my first job application this morning at a place that builds hydraulic hoses for John Deere.
It's been over 30yrs since I have done factory work, but this place is 3 1/2 miles from my house.

For the past week Ihave been on either the Murray,John Deere or Ford 1500,the mowing is caught up and the taters are hilled.
If the rains holds off i might get the garden finished planting. We got almost 2 inches of rain tuesday night.

I am not the couch potato type I will find something to do.

My dad retired from Maytag in 1983 and he says he is so busy he does not know where he found time to work a full time job.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 22, 2014 - 05:59 PM.

• grnspot110, hamman, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:22 PM

I just wish I could look forward to retirement.
I started life over again at age 38, and now I have $600 a month house payments until I am 70 years old.

Hang in there!! I started with the last employer at 36 (another layoff from the previous employer) and was with them for 28 yrs.
Lost a home in 2010 and had to buy another home. If I cash in my 401K and pay off all bills but the mortgage I think I can make it.
I am not going to let this depress me! Keep a positive attitude and everything works out, I have learned that in my life so far.
  • grnspot110, hamman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I did put in my first job application this morning at a place that builds hydraulic hoses for John Deere.
It's been over 30yrs since I have done factory work, but this place is 3 1/2 miles from my house.

I hope you get the job so we can get some quality out there!  I have an almost new JD in my shop right now  with hydraulic hose leaks.  Leaks like a sieve around a couple fittings.  Deere says to my customer that it isn't warrantable.

Really?

If you get the job fast enough, I'll let you ship the hoses straight to me and cut Deere's profit line out.  :D

Ben W.

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#14 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:13 PM

June 27 and I am out of the factory and into retirement. Insurance, pensions and Social Security are all set up and waiting on me to retire. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

• hamman, JD DANNELS, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#15 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:56 PM

Last year on Monday March 11, I went back into work at about 9 PM, typed and sent my goodbye emails, took the next 4 days as vacation and at midnight on the 15th I was retired after over 40 years at the same place. I was 63 at the time. My only regret was not being there to help the people that depended on me, but a few of the special people had my home Email and permission to contact me if they need my help. It has been about 5 weeks since I last heard from anyone. For the most part I have no regrets. My old boss stops by on occasion and has told me my timing was perfect. SS, pension, and 401 have made it so I am OK, not rich, but comfortable. I just don't seem to be able to get all the things done I thought I would, but with lower stress level now, I am OK with that too. The word retired just didn't/doesn't seem to fit. Health is OK, so just enjoying myself. Life is short, be happy and enjoy as long as you can. 

• hamman, JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks