• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kubes93 OFFLINE  

kubes93
  • Member No: 57688
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hello, am new to the forum and would like some oppinions about a john deere 112 patio i picked up. I got it for $400 with a plow and a big deck in good condition, nothing wrong with them. What im worried about is if im gonna loose money. I usually buy and sell. The tractor is a 1969 112 patio in april yellow. It doesnt have the seat, i has a metal pan type and i knoiw thats not original and takes off the value. Next the front of the hood has a 1 1/2 inch crack and 4 drill holes. The hood is painted the wrong color. The rims arent rusty but also painted the wrong color. The tires are fine. Some of the knobs of things like the shifter are missing. ANd the side panel that covers the belt pullies is again, painted the wrong color. It he said it ran great bu needs some wiring redone and a battery. The rest of the body and paint isnt bad at all. My questions are. One, whats it worth as it sits without the deck and plow. Two, whats it worth as it sits if i can rewire it and get a battery for it and have it runnning good again without the deck and plow. what do you think. sell it how it is? Getting running first? Fix the hood and just the things that  are painted incorrectly and sell it? Any other options? Thanks.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:22 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk.
I am not a JD guy, but my understanding of the Patios is that they do tend to hold their value.
Usually, I say I'm going to buy one and sell it... But that never seems to happen.
I would verify that the serial is a true Patio, get it running, and advertise it. Restorers often would prefer not to have any repairs so they know exactly what they are dealing with.
  • tinbender7 and kubes93 have said thanks

#3 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:41 AM

The wrong color parts are very common. Some were completed repainted green by the dealer when new. When it is restored just use the correct color. The seat would be the hardest part to find. They are very pricey.

Unrestored a patio tractor is not worth much more than a similer green Deere. The price need to reflect any options installed, running condition, etc.

A few pictures would help, with any added options.

What model plow, snow blade?

• kubes93 said thank you

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:51 AM

Some facts about the "Custom Color" tractors to consider.  This info is from the WFM website:

John Deere Custom Color Lawn and Garden Tractors

During the 1969 model year, John Deere introduced the Custom Color series of lawn and garden tractors and attachments. Collectors often referred to this equipment as "Patio Models". In 1969, the models offered in Custom Colors were the 110, 112, and 140. The Model 120 was added to this list the following year in 1970. The marketing group at John Deere Horicon Works felt that not all of their customers wanted a green garden tractor, and so by offering a variety of colors, sales of lawn tractors would increase. These Custom Color lawn and garden tractors were painted entirely in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat. The hood and seat were offered in one of four colors: Patio Red, Sunset Orange, April Yellow, and Spruce Blue. These colors matched those of John Deere’s popular competitors. Tractors were shipped minus the hood and seat; the dealer would then install the colored hood and seat of choice.

All the attachments were painted Dogwood White to match the garden tractors. Some of these attachments included the #80 Cart, #37A and #49 Snow throwers, #31 and #33 Tillers, #43 and #54 Front Blades, #5A Sprayers, and of course all models of the mower decks including the #39, #47, #41, and #48.

Originally when they were released in 1969 the entire tractor was painted in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat, of course. This included such things as the engine, fuel tank, mower deck attachment linkage, and the mule drive on certain models. John Deere found that the white paint on the engine had a tendency to stain. Also this meant that more parts had to be painted separately. So, for 1970, black paint was used on the engine, fuel tank, mower attachment linkages and some other items. This way these parts could be used on both the custom color and the green lawn and garden tractors without separate painting being done. Even though the engine on the Custom Color 140 was changed to black in 1970, the air cleaner cover remained in white. The seat base is unique to Custom Colored tractors in that it is textured and not smooth like the green tractors.

Also when these models were released in 1969 the type number for the green and Custom Color versions was the same on the serial number plate. Later this was changed so that a unique type number was used for the Custom Color tractors.

It didn’t take long for John Deere’s Marketing Group to find out that customers buying John Deere garden tractors wanted a green tractor and not one of a different color. Sales of the Custom Color tractors were disappointing and in the 1971 model year, production of the custom color tractors ceased. Dealers repainted many of the tractors and hoods green to get them sold. Many of the seats were used to make parts counter stools, were given away, or they ended up laying around on dealer parts shelves for years waiting to be picked up by collectors. The yellow seats, of course, were used on the green tractors and the first to be used. Because of this, yellow is probably the hardest color of seat to find.

The Ertl Toy Co. of Dyersville, Iowa made a matching set of 1/16th scale Custom Colored garden tractors to match the real ones. These 1:16 scale toys were offered in the four colors and a matching Dogwood White lawn trailer was also available. These toys were offered in a "Dealer Display" box and are highly sought after by toy and garden tractor collectors alike.

Today the Custom Color or patio garden tractors that John Deere made have become highly collectible. Due to the fact that they sold poorly when new, they are somewhat more difficult to find than their green counterparts. Many have been found wearing the familiar green and yellow paint, so be sure to examine the type codes. Many collectors consider the Custom Color 120 the most difficult to find, and there is much debate surrounding which of the colors is the most rare. Many of the attachments other than the mower decks are among the hardest to find of John Deere factory attachments.

Below is the list of the Dupont Centari paint codes and a listing of custom color type numbers.

Starmist White 59373
Lemans Blue Metallic 5030
Sunset Orange 60659
Fleet Red 2622
Fleet Yellow 23820

Custom Tractor Type codes for 1970 and 1971 models only, as the 1969 models are the same as the green ones.

110 T0642M , T0648M
112 T0654M, T0655M, T0656M, T0658M
120 T0572M
140 T0582M, T0584M

The only way to verify color on a 1969 Custom Color tractor is to look behind the serial tag and around the machine for white paint with primer under it.  If you do a teardown and repaint document the project with pictures to confirm it is a legit patio tractor.  

I think your purchase price was reasonable, especially with the deck and plow/blade.  The original hood is likely repairable and is desirable since it was originally produced in the color it was painted.  

Got any pics of this machine?

Edited by Trav1s, May 22, 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#6 kubes93 OFFLINE  

kubes93
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:44 AM

thanks for the info. ik about the tractor already. i just sold another 112. its definitly a patio and i know that the 1969 had a white motor so even if i checked the vin it would still come up as a green and yellow because they didnt change them

#7 kubes93 OFFLINE  

kubes93
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Some facts about the "Custom Color" tractors to consider.  This info is from the WFM website:

The only way to verify color on a 1969 Custom Color tractor is to look behind the serial tag and around the machine for white paint with primer under it.  If you do a teardown and repaint document the project with pictures to confirm it is a legit patio tractor.  

I think your purchase price was reasonable, especially with the deck and plow/blade.  The original hood is likely repairable and is desirable since it was originally produced in the color it was painted.  

Got any pics of this machine?

**** update the tractor doesnt have lights..i got some time pulled it into my shop. took the fendors and hood off. I messed with a connection and it started right up and runs very very good. i sprayed brake clean on the hood and then pressure washed it, it took the paint off but the originl paint isnt good so  this is my plan now. Sand it down. fix the hood and repaint it . repaint the back fendors and any other parts that are the wrong color. The frame and everything else has very good paint on it so i dont need to redo it. get a battery for it. so then i will have a very nice patio but the only issue will be that the seat isnt original. Does anyone know what it will about go for running great with a battery and everything i just listed done with just the tractor, no deck, nothing. just ioj that condition. and thanks for your help so far and i cant get pics now sorry

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:29 PM

WELCOME!
  • kubes93 said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Make certain you take pics before, during and after for documentation.
Do what you have to, even borrow a buddy's phone.
  • kubes93 said thank you

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:56 PM

In my opinion, the Patio Tractors are all over rated. There is no reason for them to bring the kind of money that they have been bringing lately. If there were only Patio Tractors produced for one year, then maybe I could understand the higher dollar value, but they weren't. As for "rare", I don't understand why this label was connected to these tractors. The 110's and 112's especially. Try going to a lawn and garden tractor show sometime without seeing at least two of each of these models. The 120's and the 140's are indeed harder to find, but there are a bunch out there. None of these models in my opinion, are considered rare.

As for your questions, there are some things to consider before an answer can be determined. As I said, the 112 model is found frequently, and without attachments, I can't see you getting more than $300-$400 for it. If you decide to repaint the non-white parts, then you have to wonder how bad the tractor will look due to having freshly painted parts next to the original faded parts. I'm assuming when you say original hood, that it indeed is a yellow hood? You know for sure that the hood is in fact solid April yellow, and not just painted that way? I see you are from the New Jersey area. Most Patio Tractors are found on the East Coast, which makes it harder for you to get top dollar for it, say as you would if you were located out in the Western states, where finding Patio tractors are very hard to come by.  

What would I do? Since there is the non-white parts and the non-original seat, and you obviously don't want to part with the mower deck, then I would just get it running, leave the parts non-white, and try to find at least a decent original non-patio yellow seat to throw on it. I wouldn't put a lot of time and money into it, as I feel it will be very hard to get it back out it. Just my opinions as I'm not the Patio expert. I just shoot from the hip and tell it like I see it. 

Good luck to you, and I hope all works out for you.

Here is a picture of the Patios that my Dad had before he sold them off at auction:

Misc. 2 547.JPG

(3) 1969 112's (1-yellow,1-blue,1-orange - painted green)

(3) 1970 112's (1-orange w/hydraulic lift,1-red,1-red w/hydraulic lift - not pictured)

(1) 1971 112 (yellow)

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 23, 2014 - 08:15 PM.

• Cat385B and WHdbJD have said thanks

#11 kubes93 OFFLINE  

kubes93
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:36 AM

In my opinion, the Patio Tractors are all over rated. There is no reason for them to bring the kind of money that they have been bringing lately. If there were only Patio Tractors produced for one year, then maybe I could understand the higher dollar value, but they weren't. As for "rare", I don't understand why this label was connected to these tractors. The 110's and 112's especially. Try going to a lawn and garden tractor show sometime without seeing at least two of each of these models. The 120's and the 140's are indeed harder to find, but there are a bunch out there. None of these models in my opinion, are considered rare.

As for your questions, there are some things to consider before an answer can be determined. As I said, the 112 model is found frequently, and without attachments, I can't see you getting more than $300-$400 for it. If you decide to repaint the non-white parts, then you have to wonder how bad the tractor will look due to having freshly painted parts next to the original faded parts. I'm assuming when you say original hood, that it indeed is a yellow hood? You know for sure that the hood is in fact solid April yellow, and not just painted that way? I see you are from the New Jersey area. Most Patio Tractors are found on the East Coast, which makes it harder for you to get top dollar for it, say as you would if you were located out in the Western states, where finding Patio tractors are very hard to come by.  

What would I do? Since there is the non-white parts and the non-original seat, and you obviously don't want to part with the mower deck, then I would just get it running, leave the parts non-white, and try to find at least a decent original non-patio yellow seat to throw on it. I wouldn't put a lot of time and money into it, as I feel it will be very hard to get it back out it. Just my opinions as I'm not the Patio expert. I just shoot from the hip and tell it like I see it. 

Good luck to you, and I hope all works out for you.

Here is a picture of the Patios that my Dad had before he sold them off at auction:

attachicon.gifMisc. 2 547.JPG

(3) 1969 112's (1-yellow,1-blue,1-orange - painted green)

(3) 1970 112's (1-orange w/hydraulic lift,1-red,1-red w/hydraulic lift - not pictured)

(1) 1971 112 (yellow)

well i just had another 112 orange with the original seeat and hood in good condition and i sold it for $700

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 12:29 PM

well i just had another 112 orange with the original seeat and hood in good condition and i sold it for $700

Original seats sell for half that price... If I had an orginal seat I would repaint mine back to red in a heartbeat!

• kubes93 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 112, john deere, patio, yellow