• Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 11:38 PM

Be sure to open some of the sections on the left, there are a 100 more

photos of these Wheel Horses in Parades, Carnivals, Pulls, Restoration,

Customizing, at Work. etc., but it's all in German (but then Wheel Horses

are an international language).

Is there such a thing as a ' Viking ' tractor?  

This is not the WH made in Oosterveld Belgium in 1970, this ' Viking ' sure looks like a

late 1980's Wheel Horse 211, . . . I have seen photos of a small tractor that was made in

Belgrade, CZ  in 2010 that has the name " Wheel Horse " on it,  but it has a unique look,

more like that of a Honda Harmony with a grass catcher on the back.

9pm Thursday:  Just learned that there is a company called Viking:

Here is a link to the history of viking mowers that is part of Stihl

Edited by GlenPettit, May 22, 2014 - 08:47 PM.

• Alc, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 05:15 AM

Thanks , I looked at some of those pictures but will have to look again at home The co. computer has filters on most things

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,221 Thanks
  • 7,454 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:09 AM

What is the Viking story?

#4 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

• 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 03:18 PM

Viking Story:

(that I've found out about so far);

The factory for Viking Lawn Mowers is in Austria, they are owned and sold via Stihl (think Chain Saws +) dealers throughout Europe, and recently South America and the near East. Stihl sells a lot of other Garden equipment & attachments, like mowers, tillers, etc.

In Europe now, all mowers have a build-in system to collect/pick-up the clippings so they can be properly composed, plus some energy efficiently and safety systems, more-so that what we have here.

In the late 80's they did use a standard Wheel Horse 211 Lawn Tractor, just renamed and painted Green. I'm still searching to find where it was made, I'm guessing it was basically made and painted green over here and then shipped to Austria to be assembled, maybe, but I'm just guessing.  

Now, Viking uses a Husquvra lawn tractor with their own name, and painted red.

If you google Viking Lawn Tractor 211, you'll find out a lot more, plus links to some interesting You-Tube videos of all kinds of Lawn/Garden equipment in EUR, Dealers over there, German Lawn Tractor tests, etc. . . .  doesn't look like the Vikings are sold in the USA (yet).  My local Stihl dealer had no information on them, but has seen the Viking tractors at USA Stihl Trade Shows and said he feels Stihl may make a push into the Lawn care equipment area in the future, in the USA.

Edited by GlenPettit, May 24, 2014 - 03:24 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#5 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

• 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 05:44 PM

Update, from Jason via the TORO company:

For those who may wonder about these green tractors... I have the official answer from a retired long time (30+ years) WH/Toro corporate service manager that I have contact with.

His reply.....

Just happened to be online when you email came.  Wheel Horse built this tractor in the South Bend plant, as they were made in late 80's.  Other than color, identical to  a "red" 211-5 built for the International market.  I believe they were made for what we would call a home center - may have been marketed in France, not Germany, but I could be mistaken.  Only one run made, I am sure; probably only a couple hundred units, if that.

Ed Cole

Sometimes it pays to know the right people! smile.png

Kasson, MN supportdealerssign.gif

Edited by GlenPettit, June 02, 2014 - 07:45 PM.