Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote For Featured Tractor June 2014

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for Featured Tractor for June 2014! (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for Featured Tractor for June 2014

1. Struck Mini Dozer - superspeedex (9 votes [9.78%])

Percentage of vote: 9.78%

2. Cub Cadet 100 - zippy1 (6 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

3. Wheel Horse L157 - Wheel Horse Addict (7 votes [7.61%])

Percentage of vote: 7.61%

4. Allis Chalmers B-212 - VintageIronCollector (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

5. Simplicity Sunstar - mtoney (3 votes [3.26%])

Percentage of vote: 3.26%

6. John Deere 112H - johndeereelfman (17 votes [18.48%])

Percentage of vote: 18.48%

7. Shaw Do-All - jdcrawler (46 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of June 2014. This month is an open month so anything goes.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of June 2014 and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 7 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Struck Mini Dozer - superspeedex
  • Cub Cadet 100 - zippy1
  • Wheel Horse L157 - Wheel Horse Addict
  • Allis Chalmers B-212 - VintageIronCollector
  • Simplicity Sunstar - mtoney
  • John Deere 112H - johndeereelfman
  • Shaw Do-All - jdcrawler

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• jd.rasentrac and superspeedex have said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Here goes....

Struck Mini dozer md 55- 

Little bit of background Struck- magnatrac which is still in business today sold these in the mid 60s and kits in popular mechanics magazine.  The kit came with all included parts to assemble and run you new mini dozer.  They had sleeve hitches on the back all belts drive with many attachments available like a blade, snow blower, mower deck, dirt plough,  high speed 6 mph and low speed kit 3 mph, and a lawn and dozer style track pads.

I purchased this crawler last year beginning of the summer ran it a little bit broke a track chain after replacement or chain decided if its worth doing its worth over doing so i went ahead built all new sprockets rollers and shafts for the mini dozer to make its a good reliable machine.  Because as most of you may know when working on heavy machinery in field its not very fun haha so the whole time i have been restoring this dozer i have been waiting to put it on here for the tractor of the month contest.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0923.JPG
  • IMG_0931.JPG
  • IMG_0924.JPG
  • IMG_0929.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, LPBolens and 15 others have said thanks

#3 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 02:27 AM

I nominate my 1964 Cub Cadet 100.

I picked the tractor from an old overgrown field back in 2010. After getting it home the first thing I wanted to do was find out if it would run, and it did. So for my first project was to figure out a hand clutch for it being I'm in a wheelchair, legs don't work neither would the foot clutch.

Getting that straiten out it was time for a face lift, so I tore into every part of the tractor that could be removed. Sand blasted what  could and wire wheeled and sanded by hand everything else. Tore into the differential and discovered broken gears, so I was off to find a good donor.

Next I wanted fenders, so I found another 100 with fenders, removed them and sold the tractor. Installed a new clutch, wiring, and 3pt. sleeve hitch. Next came the paint. My buddy wanted to paint it in his shop, but being the guy who wanted to do everything myself, I painted the tractor cub cadet yellow, but he did paint the hood and wheels.

I installed new tires, and a much more comfortable seat, a steel pan seat wasn't going to cut it..

The steering wheel was roached so I had this old 70's style I put on, really nice, it's a little larger than normal, but with limited grip in my right hand it makes steering easier.

The whole project took me 11 months to complete, but I had a lot of moral support. But I can say very proudly, I did it myself.

I use the tractor for hauling stuff in the #2 and dragging food plots, or just a nice old fashion ride around.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04041.JPG
  • DSC04933.JPG
  • Copy of DSC01509.JPG
  • DSC02069.JPG
  • DSC02415.JPG
  • DSC02666.JPG

Edited by zippy1, May 06, 2014 - 07:05 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 12 others have said thanks

#4 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'd like to nominate my newly completed 67 wheel horse L157 lawn ranger.  I got this in September of 2011 at the Mentone, In swap meet. It was in ok shape, but had governor troubles, and looked to of been repainted before. It was time for a complete resto
     May of 2012 I began the tear down. I spent 2 nights taking it down to every last bolt. It was then sandblasted, and primed. I spent about a month getting all the small parts smoothed out and eventually painted with base/clear automotive paint. Later in the fall my dad purchased around 20 tractors, and it kept me off this project for a while working on his stuff. Finally I got back at it later in the winter. I tore the motor and trans apart and completely rebuilt both of them. The hood and fender took the most time of anything on this project, I spent probably 75 hrs on the hood getting the dents smoothed out and then block sanding it. It came from a man in Massachusetts, and was nice, but still needed body work. I finally had everything just about ready for assembly.
     About a month ago I finally started slowly putting it together in the barn. I took my time  to try and make everything right. After about a week it was basically done other than the seat. The seat took a little time to make a new cushion for it, just a couple days ago I got the seat done and took the ranger out for its first ride. It ran and drove great.
     I did my best to make this tractor show-room new and I believe it turned out that way. I also installed the 68 style decals and lugs/tri ribs because I liked the way they look.  I've just got a couple things to finish on the ranger and it will be done.  Thanks, Jake In South West, Mi

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_0004.JPG
  • 102_0310.JPG
  • 102_0319.JPG
  • 102_0383.JPG
  • 102_0384.JPG
  • DSCN2433.JPG
  • DSCN2437.JPG
  • DSCN2440.JPG
  • DSCN2450.JPG
  • DSCN2467.JPG
  • DSCN2473.JPG
  • DSCN2474.JPG
  • DSCN2475.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 14 others have said thanks

#5 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 1,767 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 01:04 AM

I would like to nominate my 1970 Allis-Chalmers B-212. I got this tractor with intentions to use it as a pulling tractor. I was only going to pull stock so there wouldn't be any abnormal stress on the tractor. In order to get it running I had to yank the engine out of it to replace the coil that was in it. While we had the engine out I cleaned the engine bay as well as washing the other components of the tractor. We also cut off the muffler because it had been sitting so long that the bottom was all rusted out and so was the end. We also replaced the breaker points and condenser and for some reason the tractor still didn't have spark so he took out the plunger and fixed it with some JB Weld. Even after fixing the plunger the problem was still present so we checked the components and turned out that the brand-new set of breaker points wasn't making good contact but we were fortunate enough to have a spare used set laying around that we cleaned. One of the previous owners also bypassed the safety switch and when they did the wire got caught in the steering gear and ripped that and that was the problem as to why it wouldn't crank over. When the wire got cut it also blew the fuse as well. We put the engine back in and it and it started fine. Our guess is that the former sold it at the auction where I bought it because they got tired of and moved it onto someone else. If you noticed the whole time I was talking as there was two of us doing the work and it was me and my brother, acguy96. Without him none of this would have been possible.

0506141955-00.jpg

0506141956-00.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#6 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:26 PM

I would like to nominate my 1996 Simplicity Sunstar, I saved this from my dealership where it was sold to with a locked up engine.  Ended up being a bad PTO clutch.  I have run Simplicities off and on since I was 7 years old, started out mowing with my parents 3108 rear engine rider, then I bought my own brand new 4112 hydro with a snow thrower. Been thru several other brands over the years but keep coming back to Simplicity. When I first saw a Sunstar, its looks didnt do much for me, but the more I saw them, the more the looks grew on me and when I had the chance to pick up a really nice one cheap, I jumped on it. 

My wife and I enjoy gardening and thus need a decent size garden tractor to accomplish this. I also mow the yards of a couple elderly neighbors and plow snow during the winter time.  Our plans are to correct a couple minor cosmetic issues such as missing lenses over the dash indicator lights and that failed PTO clutch bearing, then work on finding a 3pt hitch and rear pto for it.  Both are reported to be hard to find so I have my work cut out for me.  This tractor is a beast, powered by a 18hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Vtwin engine, hydrostatic transmission, hyd lift, and power steering.  The tractor is very clean, I only gave it a basic bath before the pictures were taken, its now been waxed and is even more shiny.  Hope you enjoy seeing our tractor, Mike and Michele T

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07160.JPG
  • DSC07159.JPG
  • DSC07162.JPG

Edited by mtoney, May 09, 2014 - 11:28 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'll enter one of mine this month. I acquired this 1966 112H back in 2004 from a guy who builds all of my motors. He was a John Deere collector also at the time, but I never knew he had this tractor. I told him one day that I have all but one tractor, and then the collection would be complete. After I told him the 1966 112H was the only tractor needed yet, he told me he had something he wanted me to see. There and behold was this tractor. It was in really decent original shape, but the motor was removed as well as the hydraulic lift pump and cylinder. All of the tires were original and correct, and the tractor was complete.

We talked awhile and finally came up with a price. At first I thought I was nuts for paying him price, but after seeing what all came with the package, and realizing that this will complete the 11 piece round fender set, I quickly realized that I made out on a very good deal. Not only did the tractor come with it's original HH100 Tecumseh motor, but a second HH100 Tecumseh motor was added, as well as a box of miscellaneous new parts for restoring the tractor. Most parts aren't even available anymore. 

This man and I became really good friends through the years, and now that my Father has married his sister, I guess in a way he has now become my step-uncle. Anyway, he doesn't collect John Deere garden tractors anymore, but he is always looking out for good deals for me and my collection. Thanks Ron, I owe you a lot!

John Deere started their version of garden tractors in 1963 with a Model 110. Since they were new to the garden tractor industry, they limited their 1963 production to just 1,000 units. The 1963 Model 110 was introduced with a K161 Kohler 7hp motor. Later in 1964, John Deere changed the Kohler motor to a K181 8hp motor. In 1966, John Deere introduced their newest Model, the 112. The 112 came with a Tecumseh HH100 10hp motor. Again, since the introduction was new to the industry, John Deere limited their 1966 112 production to just 1,000. The 112 was offered with standard manual lift, or the buyer could upgrade to the optional hydraulic lift. Nobody seems to know just how many of the 1,000 units made in 1966 were sold with manual lift or with hydraulic lift, but finding a 1966 112H is harder to find or locate than that of a 1963 110. Now and then I'll find a manual lift 1966 112 at a show, but I think I've only ever seen one other 1966 112H, and that was located in New York at a two-cylinder show. 

This tractor was restored about 8 years ago, along with my 1966 112 manual lift tractor. Since you don't find them much, I wanted to restore both of them at the same time. This tractor is probably my pride and joy out of the whole collection. Since the restoration, the tractor has never had gas run through the rebuilt motor, and the tractor has never been started. It sits in my garage with the rest of the collection, and ever now and then, I'll get it out to take to a show. I have the original 46" mower deck for it, but as soon as I get the 30 rototiller restored, it will get hooked to this tractor. 

1966 112H 002.JPG 1966 112H 001.JPG 1966 112H 006.JPG 1966 112H 003.JPG 1966 112H 004.JPG 1966 112H 007.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, grnspot110 and 12 others have said thanks

#8 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 02:22 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• #1-3.JPG
  • #1.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 6.JPG
  • 8.JPG
  • 10.JPG
  • 11.JPG
  • 12.JPG
  • 77.JPG
  • 39.JPG
  • 27.JPG
  • 72.JPG
  • 73.JPG
  • 76.JPG
  • 74.JPG
  • 78.JPG

Edited by jdcrawler, May 21, 2014 - 02:26 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, LPBolens and 14 others have said thanks

#9 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'll enter one of mine this month. . .

ildeere.gif

• johndeereelfman and Huskyfan have said thanks

#10 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 05:45 AM

Too many choices but, WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) forced my vote.

Almost passed on this vote, wow! Nice work gentlemen! All are deserving top spots!   :thumbs:

• sacsr and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Man, I am having a hard time. I will try to be decisive soon.
A big :thank_you: to all the entrants.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Man, I am having a hard time. I will try to be decisive soon.
A big :thank_you: to all the entrants.

I agree with that!  I'll have to do some homework tonight.

Ben W.

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#13 Huskyfan OFFLINE  

Huskyfan
  • Member No: 13885
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Love that Shaw  :rocker2:

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,297 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Some fantastic tractors this month (again)!  

I hate to pick just one!!  

Good luck to all and thanks for all you do in our tractor world guys!  

#15 Mr Electrak OFFLINE  

Mr Electrak

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1249
  • 121 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Damn !

Is there an "all of the above " box ??

Really tough to decide this month....

Thanks to all who entered !!
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you