wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Oh ya for sure some of these guys are spending some money, for me it's a shoe string budget, heck the electric Massey has got more $ in it than any of my others. Power, big motors, lithium ion batteries, cost, unless you can stumble across them somehow.

The way I do my budget on these electric conversions is simple, how much does it cost if I were doing it as a gas engine, and can I match that!
Then I price all the materials and look for the best prices on the best equipment and I always get the motor first, controller last. But I go through lots of math and stuff to calculate how long it will last. The Electric SF was a used motor and I questioned if it was too small, but decided I was crazy... but then realized.. I was right, dang lol. So my conversions are really to have a little fun for myself and then to show people that for about the same cost as repowering with gas engine I can convert to electric. I think more people will convert if they see just how cool you can make it for similar cash!!

#32 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:08 PM

For me I've done 2 and like you started with the motor first and just piece together the rest and see how well it works.
That's the best part when it's done and it works.
If you searched the net and picked the parts you want, it would work better for sure and you would spend thousand's.

added:
there are the best parts to do the job,
and then there's the best parts that fit the budget,
big difference in price. clarification

Edited by DH1, February 06, 2011 - 08:47 AM.
clarification

#33 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:17 PM

For me I've done 2 and like you started with the motor first and just piece together the rest and see how well it works.
That's the best part when it's done and it works.
If you searched the net and picked the parts you want, it would work better for sure and you would spend thousand's.

See, the parts I want I settle on first, even if I question the power, the price may be right. Then I buy the necessary stuff to make that motor run, and I shop around online constantly for weeks or months looking for the right deal. I had never heard of Kelly Controls until I read a post in your Electric Massey thread on another forum. And when I saw the prices and features I decided that would be the controller company for my electric Atv. I actually still have the original scooter kit from the electric SF that was underpowered and have toyed with the idea of adding it to a spare David Bradley 2 wheel chassis later this year. My goal is to have about 4-6 electric conversions. I plan to make something like the Elec Trac from scratch probably next year. I have all the motors for the next couple conversions already, just need controllers and batteries. The batteries I buy at Walmart though, best value.

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 03:31 AM

Here are pics from the day after I got the atv I'm using home. It is the same as the original one I dragged in but did not have the rear fenders or seat. The 2 pics of it with those parts the fenders are off the original one I brought home and the seat isnt correct (doesn't fit) and was off a 230 Suzuki. Anyway, enough talking, here's the pics, and no, it doesn't look like this anymore, it is now a rolling chassis. :D
etv1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• etv2.jpg
  • etv4.jpg
  • etv3.jpg

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor