• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:53 PM

My custom 10 has always started hard and worse after it sat all winter,it seemed like the starter was working hard to turn it over even with a starter change. I went to start it for the first time this year yesterday and it just cranked and I think I started to smell the ignition switch get hot,I checked it and no spark so I let it sit for a hour and then it fired right up. Today I picked up a Ford style solenoid and made new battery cables and the starter spins much faster then it ever had,I do have another custom 10 that is about the last year made that has a solenoid from the factory and the starter on it is a little slow so I think its going to get the solenoid and battery cables changed too.

• Alc and jaysgt18 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like connections. Could be cables, connectors, contacts in the switch. The solenoid will carry more than the switches can by themselves, so that's a good idea.

#3 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:16 PM

I am thinking it was the new battery cables that made the most difference and suprised a solenoid was not installed at the factory since a lot of power goes through the ignition switch and can get hot. My 71 originally had a switch on the clutch which made for a very long battery cable that was probably not a problem when new but 40 years later the cables go bad,a p/o took the switch off and bolted the cables togather so with the solenoid I was able to make a much shorter cables and made them from a thicker wire.

Edited by junkyardjeff, May 20, 2014 - 10:33 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 05:14 AM

The resistance in the entire circuit needs to be as low as possible to get the speed up on the starter. Starting at the + battery post and ending back at the -post. Don't forget the common return from the engine to the battery - terminal. This connection is just as important as any other but often gets neglected. I often wonder what these older solenoids look like inside after 40 years of service.

#5 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 07:48 AM

I forgot about a chassis to motor ground and will make one tonight.

#6 jaysgt18 OFFLINE  

jaysgt18
  • Member No: 59024
  • 5 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:36 AM

I had the same problem with my Gt18, would barely spin the motor( even with one dead cylinder) I also used a used Ford solenoid with bigger cables, lowered the battery try 1 and half inches( to mount a car battery) and put my negative cable through the starter mounting bolt. Has awesome cranking speed now.
  • MH81 said thank you