Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Saved Another One From The Scrap

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:58 PM

I went over to help my Pastor clean up some scrap metal for a lady from our church.  He called me since he knows I have a truck and trailer.  Anyway, I knew in advance that she had an old garden tractor that she wanted out of there so I was intrigued to say the least.  I figured it was an old Craftsman or some type of throw away but, what the heck, I'll help out.  We pulled in and walked around behind the house to begin our work.  That's when I saw it.  It was under a tarp (still is, I never took it off) and sitting on flat tires.  It's a Allis Chalmers B12.  Looks to be in decent shape to be honest.  I really doubt that it runs but you never know.  The mower deck is there, needs cleaned but looks solid.  This thing even has the headlights!  The decals that I saw looked to be in pretty good shape but, as I say, I didn't remove the tarp tonight.  I told my Pastor that this tractor wasn't going near the scrap yard.  He looked a little surprised but, then again, he's not exactly into this stuff.  I talked with the lady and offered her $50 and she said ok.  She said if it were up to her I could have it but her sons are involved.  I'll go over and pick it up in the next few days and see what we have,  I needed it like I need a hole in the head but I just couldn't bring myself to load it up and scrap it.  May flip it, may use it for parts for my B10, who knows.  I'll just have to see what I have and take it from there.  Am I being fair here or should I up the offer?  I didn't give her any money yet and told her if her sons wanted to try and sell it, they were more than welcome to.  I always like to give these widows a fighting chance.  She said they tried to sell it and couldn't find a buyer.  Go figure.

• rustyoldjunk, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:06 PM

If the headlights are the original guide lights then they are worth the $50 the rest will be a bonus.    If she will take $50 then go for it, I personally would probably go to $100 if it is all original but don't spend more than you have to.

:wewantpics:

• tinbender7 and David Brown have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:51 PM

You are treating her right there.  Good job!  :thumbs:

Hope it all works out for you. 

Ben W.

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:01 PM

I'm sure whatever you decide to give her will be fine with her. You're an honest person and will do more than most to make sure she is taken care of.

Thanks for saving another one.
  • David Brown said thank you

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Try not to flip it but restore it, then the $50 is fine. She will be happy its going to a good home.

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 04:19 AM

My thought is: Why aren't the sons cleaning up the scrap for their mom?

• MH81, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 04:28 AM

My thought is: Why aren't the sons cleaning up the scrap for their mom?

That was my thought too.  As the evening progressed I came to learn that the sons don't want to get rid of anything.  This stuff had been sitting at her house for at least 10 years now.  I think it's been longer than that since the tractor was moved.  She has old camper trailers in the back yard that haven't been moved in years and are doing nothing but collecting bees and they won't consider getting rid of them.  We were lucky to do what we did.  It's really becoming an eyesore and a very unsafe condition for her.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 04:32 AM

I'm sure whatever you decide to give her will be fine with her. You're an honest person and will do more than most to make sure she is taken care of.

Thanks for saving another one.

You're right, she really doesn't want anything for it, she just wants it gone.  She doesn't care if it goes to the junk yard or to a museum.  There's no emotional attachment.  She's wanted it out of there for the past 10 years or so.  She has no clue as to whether or not it even runs.  I'll try to get it going first but after that it will be placed on the back burner.  As I have stated, I really don't need this thing, but they keep following me home.

Funny thing is, I seem to always come up with a brand that is going to be the feature at Portersville that year.  Well, you guessed it, the feature this year is Allis Chalmers.  If I get this thing cleaned up, running and on 4 good wheels, I'll take it up there along with the B10.

Edited by David Brown, May 21, 2014 - 04:36 AM.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 06:25 AM

You need to make it a full collection: B1, early B10, BIG TEN, late B10 and the B12. Those old ACs are the most versitile and fun to operate. $50 is fair especially when she only wanted it gone. Do get a Bill of Sale. Sometimes the sons can be trouble, if they want their Mom's yard to be a mess then be a little carefull. Good Luck, Rick

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 06:40 AM

I think you are doing her a favor and giving her more than the scrap value it would have fetched. Sleep easy.

A good set of guides are easily worth $100, but you have no idea what a nonrunning tractor will need and have to assume you will need to put a few hundred into rubber, fuel system components, possibly ignition issues and hopefully no large mechanical problems sbould you decide to ressurect it.

If you sell it, you have your time, storage and effort and still would be hoping for more than $100 from a nonrunning tractor.
  • David Brown and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 1,767 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:17 AM

:wewantpics:  Can't wait to see some pictures of this tractor. Sounds like a good tractor  :thumbs:

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 01:14 PM

You need to make it a full collection: B1, early B10, BIG TEN, late B10 and the B12. Those old ACs are the most versitile and fun to operate. $50 is fair especially when she only wanted it gone. Do get a Bill of Sale. Sometimes the sons can be trouble, if they want their Mom's yard to be a mess then be a little carefull. Good Luck, Rick

HA! I don't think so.  I've learned that life is too short to limit yourself to one brand.  You end up passing on deals that you should have jumped on.  The more I think about this, the more excited I become because I'm thinking that if the thing quit running or was in really bad shape, they wouldn't have taken the time to put it under roof and tie a tarp around it to protect it.  I think it's a matter of the husband passing before he could ever get rid of it.  She mentioned to me that he should have gotten rid of it years ago but there it sits.  I don't know but I hope to in the next few days.

• MH81, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:26 PM

The owner of this little Allis has been away for the past couple of days.  She called tonight and I hope to pick this thing up on Monday.  Yes, pics will follow.