• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • Member No: 57105
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:40 PM

So about a week ago I obtained what I now know to be a 1968 MTD 148-760 garden tractor, with a briggs and stratton 10hp engine. Now this is my FIRST project like this so bear with me. Ask me questions. Provide creative critics, suggestions and others. All input is welcome.

First thought was to simply clean the carburetor, put in some fresh gas& oil, new battery and see if she would run. -SCRATCH THAT-

Took the carb off to clean and it was caked about 1/4in thick with dirt &crud. Tearing apart the carb found a spiders nest on the choke plate and dirt clear up into the intake tube. Also looks like its inside the combustion chamber, so I am gonna tear it completely down for a rebuild. This will take a bit as I haven't rebuilt a lawnmower engine since shop in high school some 18yrs ago.

Here are some pics of what i am working with.

DSCF2746.JPG DSCF2747.JPG DSCF2748.JPG DSCF2749.JPG DSCF2750.JPG DSCF2751.JPG DSCF2752.JPG DSCF2753.JPG DSCF2754.JPG DSCF2766.JPG

• hamman, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:43 PM

Looks like a good project. Looking froward to your progress.     Good Luck.                                                                  Roger.

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Looks like she's been sitting for sometime. Mostly complete to. Have fun fixing it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Looks like it's going to be a bit of work to get it restored but it doesn't look worn out, just neglected.  That makes it a good candidate for a restore.

#5 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 08:50 AM

That was a '68? or just the motor is a '68? I wouldnt have thought those rounded fenders were that old, do they look to be original for the frame. Have you found any info on the transaxle?

Good Luck;)

#6 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 01:05 PM

That was a '68? or just the motor is a '68? I wouldnt have thought those rounded fenders were that old, do they look to be original for the frame. Have you found any info on the transaxle?

Good Luck;)

I'm not 100% sure when production started on the 760/860 but 1968 is the first year MTD is showing an op manual on their website.  They do have some earlier equipment manuals posted so I assume it would be scanned and available if it existed.  Makes me believe '68 is the first year.

The 990s started in '71.

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 02:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another restore starting. If the engine will run  :D  it makes the rest of the restore worth while.

Taking the head and bottom pan off of the engine will give you a good start with what needs to be repaired. Sometimes just a good cleaning and oiling will be enough. 

Keep us posted with pictures and questions. 

• Gryphon said thank you

#8 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Looks like she's been sitting for sometime. Mostly complete to. Have fun fixing it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Yes it had been sitting for a minimum of 9yrs before I got my hands on it.

Good Luck;)

The motor is a 68 10hp and according to MTD's website and the model number its either a 68 or 78. And in 78 they were 11hp. So. Haven't gotten to the rear of the tractor yet, starting in the front and working back, starting with engine. I know if I just tear the whole thing apart, which i really want to, I will end up with bits and pieces have done everywhere. Then i will become overly frustrated and dump the whole project. It is very hard for me to take one step at a time, because my mind is always running 10miles ahead of where i am :loosing_it: . With that being said this project is more than just restoring/rebuilding a tractor.

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another restore starting. If the engine will run  :D  it makes the rest of the restore worth while.

Taking the head and bottom pan off of the engine will give you a good start with what needs to be repaired. Sometimes just a good cleaning and oiling will be enough. 

Keep us posted with pictures and questions. 

I didn't think of that, well not the bottom pan anyway. Thanks

#9 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I was thinking the rounded rear bodywork looks to be mid to late 70's, early 70's had very basic flat metal fender with distinct bends, plus the front wheels dont have lug bolts so that also indicates late 70's. not that it matters much.. I just thought '78 would have been a close estimate.

motors are easy to replace, I'd be more concerned how the transaxle is, and which one it is, if its the 2300 series it can take any amount of hp you want to throw at it, and it will pull anything you hook it up to, not as nice to drive as the hydro model but more torque to the wheels;)

my 960 is a '74, I think those rounded fenders are later

Attached Thumbnails

• Col_018.JPG

• boyscout862 and Gryphon have said thanks

#10 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I was thinking the rounded rear bodywork looks to be mid to late 70's, early 70's had very basic flat metal fender with distinct bends, plus the front wheels dont have lug bolts so that also indicates late 70's. not that it matters much.. I just thought '78 would have been a close estimate.

motors are easy to replace, I'd be more concerned how the transaxle is, and which one it is, if its the 2300 series it can take any amount of hp you want to throw at it, and it will pull anything you hook it up to, not as nice to drive as the hydro model but more torque to the wheels;)

my 960 is a '74, I think those rounded fenders are later

It is altogether possible, I have the year wrong, or some parts got mixed at matched somewhere along the line. I was just going by the model number i found on the sticker on the back of the tractor. The clutch system doesn't match what the owners manual i found shows either. But I shall over come that when i get to it. And that is a sound piece of advice on the transaxle,thanks.

And you think i can find the manual on mtd's site again, or the little chart i saw that listed years they made certain tractors LOL

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Take a close up of the clutch so I can compare with mine, it has a dual belt setup going down to the pto output which is shaft drive to the deck and tiller.
  • Gryphon said thank you

#12 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:20 AM

This body style wasn't built in 78' , by 78' MTD went to the long frame tractors and only the 990 made it past 78 to around 82 or 83 ,even though the long frame hydros were being built at the same time. I think they were only doing 990's for certain brand names.

• Gryphon said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:23 AM

It is altogether possible, I have the year wrong, or some parts got mixed at matched somewhere along the line. I was just going by the model number i found on the sticker on the back of the tractor. The clutch system doesn't match what the owners manual i found shows either. But I shall over come that when i get to it. And that is a sound piece of advice on the transaxle,thanks.

And you think i can find the manual on mtd's site again, or the little chart i saw that listed years they made certain tractors LOL

You don't have any problem with numbers.  You said you decoded the engine numbers and it was a '68.  The tractor model number sticker says it's a '68.  It wouldn't hurt to post the actual engine numbers, though.

Here is the site for MTD manuals:

http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do

Just enter 148760 for the model number and any number for the serial, I just keep it simple and use "5"

They did have an early and late clutch setup.

I'm assuming you're referring to my chart.  It's based on op manuals posted on MTD's site.  I searched for all the possible model number and year combinations and found all the op manuals then layed out the info in the chart.  Did they really make the tractor that year?  Who knows but if they bothered to print a manual, I have to assume they made the tractor to match.  Also, it's possible some manuals were never found or scanned so they may have made them other years than what I put on the chart.  The horsepower numbers on the chart mostly come from what is printed on the front covers of the manuals.

Attached File  MTD tractors.pdf   44.11KB   68 downloads

Edited by Canawler, May 22, 2014 - 08:34 AM.

• Gryphon said thank you

#14 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 10:16 PM

You don't have any problem with numbers.  You said you decoded the engine numbers and it was a '68.  The tractor model number sticker says it's a '68.  It wouldn't hurt to post the actual engine numbers, though.

Here is the site for MTD manuals:

http://manuals.mtdpr...m/mtd/Public.do

Just enter 148760 for the model number and any number for the serial, I just keep it simple and use "5"

They did have an early and late clutch setup.

I'm assuming you're referring to my chart.  It's based on op manuals posted on MTD's site.  I searched for all the possible model number and year combinations and found all the op manuals then layed out the info in the chart.  Did they really make the tractor that year?  Who knows but if they bothered to print a manual, I have to assume they made the tractor to match.  Also, it's possible some manuals were never found or scanned so they may have made them other years than what I put on the chart.  The horsepower numbers on the chart mostly come from what is printed on the front covers of the manuals.

attachicon.gifMTD tractors.pdf

Yes it was your chart.   I found the manual, thanks for the link though.

Briggs #'s where posted incomplete on the Id thread I started, but here they are complete 243434 0148 01 6801231 and as i look again it appears i am a number short, on the very end. Any verifications of this thought??

#15 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 12:55 AM

Your engine was built January 23rd 1968 1st shift, Tractor was probably born a few months later.

• VTXrider and Gryphon have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtd, 760, rebuild, restore, 10hp, briggs