GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Looking for the approximate exhaust manifold and muffler temperatures for a 16 hp B&S horizontal Vanguard engine.

I installed a $125 B&S muffler on the used engine I put in my JD 140H3.  The muffler was only about 1/2" away from the electric clutch driven pulley and the belt melted and stretched after about 15 minutes of mowing last fall.  The manifold and muffler temps were in the 380* to 450* range.

Today I replaced the exhaust manifold with 3/4" black pipe, one elbow, one tee, a couple of pieces of black pipe and the original kohler muffler.  The original exhaust manifold tubes were less than 3/4" ID.  The temps are down to the 310 to 350* range.

The pipes are now about 3" from the pulley and there is enough room to put in a hear shield.  The muffler is on the right side and outside the engine compartment so the heat should be much cooler.  I do need to put a guard around around the muffler to keep the grandkids safer.

• superspeedex said thank you

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:05 PM

try this http://www.ebay.com/...6e3d6d7&vxp=mtr

Works great i use it on my 450 fourwheeler titanium pipe turn scherry red and the echaust wrap help on a garden tractor im sure youd pretty much be able to touch it dependin gon how many layers you do....btw you can got shorter and narrow roll of it

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Works great i use it on my 450 fourwheeler titanium pipe turn scherry red and the echaust wrap help on a garden tractor im sure youd pretty much be able to touch it dependin gon how many layers you do....btw you can got shorter and narrow roll of it

Thanks for the link.  I looked at a similar product yesterday at the local NAPA store.  It was 15' for about $20 so this would be a better deal.  I wonder how it would hold up to the weather if I used it to wrap the muffler and if 340* would be enough heat to "cure" it?

• superspeedex said thank you

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 02:12 PM

I reused mine on my tractor but it was kinda flaky there really is no cureing and i pressure washed my pipe a good bit to last summer the stuff really surprised me this summer im going to buy whats in the link and do the ppie on my mini dozer to help keep the carb cooler.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0816131449a.jpg
  • 0816131426.jpg