• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 01:13 PM

I guess it would also depend on why you restore your tractors as well, some do it for show and some to simply have a ''new" machine to work with or cut grass with.

For someone wanting to use old iron instead of buying new then it makes sense to do a full blown factory restore to not have any mechanical failures if you intend to use that machine as your daily driver.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 07:40 AM

All workers. I've rebuilt (I don't do concours type restores, more restore to original specs using modern materials...) several just for the fun of doing it, then sold them off to a new home. My "regular yard mowers" are a square fender Deere 110 from the 70's, and an LX Deere from the early 90's. Closest thing I have to a trailer queen is a Round fender 110 that sees occasional use and is more a backup third string...

Some stay longer than others. I've got plenty of shop space and usually have a "few" in various states of repair/disassembly/modification sitting around waiting for attention - they are spare time projects and I work on them when I feel like it.

We have bigger equipment to do the heavy jobs, so the GT's (beyond a yard mower/garden tractor or two) are for fun. But none are beyond getting dirty and all earn their keep!

#33 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Like Doc Bolens says, there are degrees of restoration.

There are the full blown, down to the nuts and bolts, all factory correct restorations.  Many actually looking better paint wise than what the factory produced.  Usually these are the ones that end up as show only.

Then, there are what I prefer to call REFURBISHENTS, where the tractor gets put into good mechanical shape and a good/decent paint job.  These tend to be working tractors.

My 1886 forklift is a good example of a refurbishment.  It was not a total teardown, it's been repainted in a non factory color scheme, and has other parts that are non-factory.  This is being done to preserve the history of the tractor as much as possible, rather than take it back to factory correct. It will also be a worker rather than a show piece.

The rest of my tractors are all 'original condition' ones and are workers as well.  I personally think that they  deserve to be used in the manner that they were intended to be used.  However, I can't fault the folks for not using a tractor after doing all the work that it takes to produce a show piece.

#34 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:31 PM

All mine restored or not are used, they are no fun to just look at and take a trip around the yard every now and again after spending all that time fixing them.
  • MH81 said thank you

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Only reason I would restore one here would be to make it easier to use. No shows to show it off at!

#36 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 04:44 AM

There is an annual show here about 6k from home so I want to find a tractor to restore just to take part in that, but I'd probably still use it 'lightly' and in 'good weather', to this point tho everything here has a job to do, and thats part of the fun of rebuilding them also... my '57 Bolens is my oldest tractor and it still has to move snow every winter.

#37 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Not usually, mainly the Restored tractors are for preservation and history, eventually some of my workers will become the same and be replaced.

Light use is all some will every see now or find it's way into someone's collection.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#38 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 10:01 PM

My murray that I restored gets used all the time, I didnt do a pristine restoration on it cause I knew it was goin to get used. I ended up painting it with rustolum paint. Since I painted it one fender is all smashed it from me smacking into a tree and the paint gets touched up once in a while.