37 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:51 AM

I got to thinking about this yesterday after I posted pictures of the one Cub that we actually use.  It cuts grass, plows/blow snow, drags a wagon around, and basically get used as a GT was intended.

We have quite a few restored cubs that we have done over the last probably 15 years.  These have been restored down to sand blasting and painting the underside of the decks.  They honestly look like they came out of the show room.  They have not touched a blade of grass and done nothing but sit in the shed, most of them haven't seen sunlight since they were done.  The only one that gets moved is the Original and only because my Dad likes to ride around town on it and take little girl for tractor rides.

Do you use your restored tractors?  Or are they garage/shed queens? 

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:01 AM

My restored machines do not see any work either, they spend most of the time in the garage with covers on them. On a few I have mowed for a few minutes just for the experience of what it felt like to use a brand new Bolens back in the 60's :D  I do drive them occasionally up and down our street as its not good to let stuff sit.

I know it sounds crazy but I always wanted to buy an old Storefront or old Lawn and Garden dealer's location and have the inside set up like a Dealership in the 50's / 60's with all my signs and Tractors inside.....

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens cover 006.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 6 others have said thanks

#3 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:08 AM

No trailer queens here, if it cant be used it goes down the road! I have neither the interest or space to hoard.
  • tinbender7, twostep and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:09 AM

I use mine for certain tasks, just to enjoy them.  I don't care to mow with them, as that's about the messiest chore I have.  Most have an attachment or two I restored with them, and when the need to use that implement pops up (like a loader, disc, cultivator, plow etc) I look forward to using the tractor that matches it.  I go for joy rides constantly...I let my little one choose which tractor we will ride, and he likes variety. 

There is a dealer here in MI that I have heard is setup as an old AC dealer would have been back in the day (well...as THEY were back in the day).  They have AG and GT tractors in the showroom, but I've never been able to make it that far from home until after they close. 

• MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:11 AM

My restored Cub Cadets sit in the shed under cover too. I want to give them jobs, like sweeping thatching etc, but it is easier to hop on the larger tractor and go. You do not have to uncover the tractor and take it out of storage. I have given serious thoughts on selling the restored onesand keeping only the ones that I use all the time.

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:17 AM

most of mine are workers,  not restored, but i plan on restoring the moto mower and using it for light stuff like hauling the trailer. nothing too dirty. Tom

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:44 AM

My restored tractor does everything but mow. I haul trailers, till the garden, plow snow, blow snow. It is showing some wear and tear because of the use, but I enjoy getting to use it.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Once I get my Sears ST16 retored, it will become my dedicated mowing machine. Once they are running, if they can't earn their keep they need to hit the road.

My son and I will restore his Sears/DB 725, up to him how he uses it. I plan to restore my Dad's old AC someday, but it will get used too.

• tinbender7 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:29 AM

My bolens are workers...  I just try to keep them as clean as posible...lots of mowing and blowing...lots of compressor and hose off and dry..........

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I enjoy restoring old GT's so they look good and can do some work. I don't have the space to be a collector, but if I did I would probably keep many more tractors around.

#11 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:21 AM

My tractors get used during tractor shows and thats about it.

• johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#12 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:41 AM

Some get used a little.  

A few years ago, I used the Agricat to clear up the side of the road where the county plow had run to far off the road and gouged up the yard.

The Lindeman was retired from heavy work in 2001 but I would still use it occasionally for light cleanup.

However, since I  went thru it and re-painted it a couple of years ago, I no longer do any work with it.

I'll bring the other tractors out once in a while to pull the trailer around for cleaning up around the property but the implements on them don't get used.

I run everything around the property periodically to keep everything lubricated and running good and just for the fun of driving them around. 

The R/T gets used a lot along with the rear grader blade and the rake.

Edited by jdcrawler, May 20, 2014 - 10:45 AM.

• MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#13 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Of the two, we have restored so far , one is a show machine, it gets ridden around and tows the occasional trailer. The other is our stock class pulling tractor, so it really only gets used for pulling.  Were starting the restoration on a 3rd tractor to be a working tractor , it put 41 years of work in so far, after the restoration it should be good for at least another 30,

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 12:52 PM

I haven't put any restoration efforts into anything that I would WANT to use on a regular basis... yet.  It's coming.  I think there are two forms of restoration.  One for show and one for use.  The ones I did for show are just that, show tractors that only come out to either ride in the yard to take the edge off a long day or to go straight onto the trailer for a show.  To be honest, they get in the way a lot of the time.  They're so darn cute I just forgive them and work around them.

• MH81, johndeereelfman and HANKG have said thanks

#15 Fleetman OFFLINE  

Fleetman
  • Member No: 56461
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 01:58 PM

I use my Farmall to mow