• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Okay guys, I'm nearly finished with putting the DB back together.

Tonight I mounted the motor, put on the handlebar grips, touched up some paint and then spent about two hours trying to figure out how to route the throttle cable so that it will work.

First of all I don't really think that the throttle cable is long enough. Mine was originally routed on the outside of the handlebars and measures around 43 - 44 inches. The way that I tried to route it tonight caused the cable to bind so nothing was working smoothly.

I'm using a Tecumseh HS50 mini bike motor on this tractor and if standing in front of the tractor the throttle linkage is on the right side of the motor, (opposite side of where the cable comes out of the handlebar).

It looks as though I need to exit the handlebar, go beneath the motor mounting plate and then come back up to the engine.

I don't know if there is supposed to be, but on my tractor there are two sets of four mounting holes on the motor mounting plate.

I'm using the back set of holes so there is a mounting hole that is pretty much directly under the throttle linkage of the motor. 

Like I said before I'm thinking that first of all I need a cable that is a couple of inches longer than what I currently have. 

I also know what I'll need to figure out a way to lock the cable at the throttle lever on the tractor and then again at where the cable attaches to the motor.

I guess my question is:

1. Does my routing plan sound like it is workable?

2. Does anyone know how long of a cable I actually need for one of these tractors?

Like I said I'm getting really close to getting this thing done and I'm anxious to get it finished.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

#2 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Your throttle cable may be too short to do this, but here is how the cable runs on my 5752 w/Tecumseh re-power. Note the cable coming across behind the mounting plate, behind the engine, then under the shroud, and turns up to the left side. 

It was rather sticky at first, being it's sat in a shed for the last 25 years. I lubed it with my 50/50 mix of Acetone & ATF, and now works very easy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 917.5752 DB 005.jpg
  • 917.5752 DB 003.jpg

• Alc and Likesspace have said thanks

#3 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:55 AM

I have a HS50 on mine. It's throttle accelerates by pulling the throttle up which required running the cable over the top of the motor. With that being said my cable is zip tied to the outside of the handle bar, runs to just behind the motor, then up and over the motor. If the cable is routed the original way it would have to push the throttle open which could cause binding.

• Alc and Likesspace have said thanks

#4 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, Vstrom...

I'm hoping to figure something out that will allow me to route the cable through the handlebars but if that's not possible you've given me a good idea of how I will need to run it to make it work.

#5 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 02:08 PM

Mine also pushes up, but no binding. Hard to get used to, when the others are the opposite... LOL... 

• Likesspace said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 02:13 PM

If you need a longer cable just PM me, I also have the clips for the handle bars if needed.

• Likesspace said thank you