#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 04:08 PM

This tractor has been sitting since the mid 1980s. The tractor is still brand-new at the dealership, never sold. What would be some things to go bad from sitting so long? Engine was ran to get it parked. I'm not familiar with diesel garden tractors so engine parts prices would also be helpful. Thanks (Yes I've talked about this tractor several times before on here.)

Edited by VintageIronCollector, May 19, 2014 - 04:10 PM.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Seals...everywhere?  Trans, engine, BGB.  Other than that, maybe some fresh fluids and shoot the zerks with grease.  Hopefully there's not a battery in there or old fuel.  I don't know what diesel does when it sits.  Probably will need oil and fuel filters, fuel lines, maybe tires.  Could get lucky and really need nothin! 

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I got my Jacobsen Chief 1000 from there and that was sitting since 1990 and needed no seals. I think that the moisture and humidity level in the building is preventing dry-rot.

Edited by VintageIronCollector, May 19, 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:20 PM

It doesn't matter if it's been parked since the 80's. Even if kept in a mayonnaise jar under Funkenwagnal's porch, they're going to be dried out and unreliable.

#5 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Could need the injectors rebuilt along with both fuel pumps and flushing the lines

#6 wku88 OFFLINE  

wku88
  • Member No: 32000
  • 22 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 12:08 AM

Parts for that little Italian diesel (marketed by Briggs and Stratton back in the day) are close to unobtanium. However, with a new engine, you'd be good on hard parts for a long time as a show piece. Seals can be bought through the normal bearing houses... just give them dimensions, and they can get them for you. Diesels are a little bit different, but the previous advice is sound. Drain the fuel, flush out the fuel lines, and fill with fresh #2 with a healthy dose of fuel conditioner(Howes or Power Service). Doubtful the pump needs to be rebuilt, or the injectors. But, they may be gummed up, and that is where the fuel conditioner comes in. Get it started and run it for a while to clean things up. Jet A or #1 kerosene mixed at the same ratio as conditioner will do the same thing.

That's a rare piece, and I am sure the price will reflect that. If you want a working tractor, a JD 318 with 3point may be a better, and cheaper alternative. Likewise,  many vintage and newer LGT's can be had with as much power and equipment availability for cheaper. The 920 in NOS condition would be a $5k tractor, if the wore out gas versions are fetching $3000 or better! To put it in perspective, I can buy 60 HP tractors all day for that, in working condition (5k that is).

#7 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:20 AM

It sounds like it may be an easy fix or maybe not so easy it just depends. This would still be a good piece to pull around at a show on a trailer to display it but if I do happen to buy this tractor I would probably try to get it running first.

Edited by VintageIronCollector, May 20, 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#8 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 02:26 PM

How much do you think all of these seals would cost?

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:31 PM

How much do you think all of these seals would cost?

The seal cost would be negligible... the real cost is in removing and replacing them!!

Smitty

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#10 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:36 PM

The seal cost would be negligible... the real cost is in removing and replacing them!!

Smitty

As long as they don't need any special tools my brother and I could probably do it. He's pretty with that sort of thing and I would be the one helping him.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I dont know if the seals are a standard size. It is a Lombardini engine in it. You may want to check with Kohler to see if you can get the seals from them before you purchase the tractor. I have been cruising ebay for about 6 months for parts and have really found any.