#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Put in points and condensor today and not much diff. A little better maybe. Putting on the exhaust and air cleaner seemed to make it better, or maybe just quieter, heh!  It seems to roll at idle. The idle screw does nothing at all, closed to all the way open, no changes. New mixer needle seems to do fine on high speed setting. When I first start it wants to rev quick, but gov pulls it back in a second or so, just seems a bit slow. Even when riding, if I just jamb it up wide open it wil take off real fast, yet settle down and slower in second just like at start. Gov spring worn?  I found another issue now too. When first run the clutch belt system works great, can shift fine, stop fine and all. But ride it around a few minutes and it will not release, the brake is fighting to stop it, but can't, and if you are in N, then shift to a gear, it will grind and not go. It's like the new belt swells up and is too tight or ?? I tried releasing the pulley setting and it seemed better and not so quick to dive into gear at start, but same issue once you drive awhile. I can see that both the idlers are turning, so no binding there. Just don't get that.  I got the snow blade mounted, don't believe "Quick-attach" is really! Someone had some real bad off the wall bolts in links to the axle, but had the spacers in them at least. I used better and shorter ones that fit and same on the axle tabs. Blade lifts OK, seems to lock up and should be good. Ready to sell this rig if any interest, done working on it. Someone else can figure the stuff out, I'm done!

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 12:37 PM

A good carb cleaning and fresh gaskets will likely fix it, check the float to make sure it's not full of gas, if it's a Marvel Shebler, that's a known problem. I love the Onans!

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Well, sold the Sears today and made me happy. Not my problems anymore. Fella was a Sears lover and was happy!  Now have lead on my 990 and now it won't start! The gear stripped, darn plastic junk gears.

#19 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:01 PM

Last year I dug my SS-16 out of the shed after ten years in storage to install the new (to me) transaxle pulley that had broken in 2003. While it was apart I replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the tank, and replaced the carb float with a brass float. I also replaced the points and condenser. But when I reassembled it - it would only run at idle and would backfire. I rechecked the carb and checked the timing and point gap - no improvement. I finally pulled the new points and condenser and reinstalled the old ones (it ran well when I stored it so I thought they ). Turns out the new points were defective. It runs fine now.

Good luck,

JiminRI